For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #13,321 of 20,405
1689313898557.jpeg

John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette
Gateway 2 (1978)

Sennheiser PX-100 V1<--LG V60 Quad DAC mode<--Tidal streaming via UAPP

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #13,322 of 20,405
JRiver Media Center > SMSL SU9 > Schiit Asgard 3 > Grado RS-1x :heart_eyes::notes::notes::notes:

weatherreport.jpg

Weather Report (1971) by Weather Report - Fancied a bit of jazz-fusion to finish off tonight's listening session and Weather Report were ready and waiting. Sounds great through the Asgard and RS-1x pairing, with the amp adding a subtle bit of warmth and the headphones providing details for days :darthsmile:

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #13,323 of 20,405
Thanks for the shout out, boys. I'm here, but headphones have had to take a back seat due to family obligations since my Dad passed away and then some covid complications, and life, the universe and everything. I miss you guys too and hope to start getting back on the track soon.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #13,324 of 20,405
Thanks for the shout out, boys. I'm here, but headphones have had to take a back seat due to fmaily obligations since my Dad passed away and then some covid complications, and life, the universe and everything. I miss you guys too and hope to start getting back on the track soon.
I'm glad to see you're still with us. I hope life gets a little less hectic for you, so you can Indulge in your passion for music again. Hope to 👀 you around. ✌️

P.S
Jada was worried that she would never hear from you again. 😉

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #13,325 of 20,405
Pics Cut_202371592449305.png

Just chilling with some Chris Isaac on a Saturday morning. The amazingly detailed
K340 are doing the Heart Shaped World album some serious justice. 🫡
An excellent recorded album. 👏

20220923_135339.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #13,326 of 20,405
I'm glad to see you're still with us. I hope life gets a little less hectic for you, so you can Indulge in your passion for music again. Hope to 👀 you around. ✌️

P.S
Jada was worried that she would never hear from you again. 😉
Thanks. And please send Jada All My Lovin’…

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #13,329 of 20,405
Lcdx<mojo2<fiio m11
PiLFlowersOfRomance.jpg

Greatest John lydon album by far. A classic. Sounds like nothing before or after.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #13,330 of 20,405
Grado GH2 (limited edition, cocobolo) << Grado RA-1 (AC version):
A380AFA6-01CC-4FE3-B931-7A01D982FD5A.jpeg
[RCA / New York International: July, 1979.] A rollicking album which the GH2 takes to town! Irresistible: disco-funk with a strong 1940s Art Deco flavour - featuring great vocals, exciting arrangements, bass, percussion! After all, Cory Daye was the lead vocalist in Dr. Buzzard’s Original Savanna Band. 🤷🏻‍♂️😄

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #13,331 of 20,405
JRiver Media Center > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Grado RS-1x :musical_score::notes::notes::notes:

scheherazadeandotherstories.jpg

Scheherazade And Other Stories (1975) by Renaissance - This was another case of me finding the right media to go with the headphones and the two go together perfectly. Renaissance play a progressive mix of folk, rock, jazz and even classical music centred on the beautiful voice of Annie Haslam - I used the present tense because they are still around today and Annie Haslam is still going strong at 76. The music really is a great match for the RS-1x, it's detailed and clean with plenty of space and makes the most of the Grado's excellent imaging. :darthsmile:

Jul 16, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #13,333 of 20,405
1689495443335.png
+
1689495345218.png

1689495523433.png

Whenever I play music with any of my old CD players, headphones plugged in their headphones out I always wonder if upgrades in DAC technology the last decades really exist? And what the use of a dedicated headphones amp is? The sound of my 1993 Yamaha CD-870 is just simply wonderful, not worse than any current DAC I auditioned and just like with my other CD players the built in headphones output is excellent. No need for a dedicated amp at all, this applies to all ,my headphones including the Avantone planar, HD650 and R70X.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #13,334 of 20,405
K702:

Prior to now I haven't EQed my K702 other than on rare occasions throwing on a little bit of a bass boost in Spotify for some songs. Decided to change that and experiment. Currently playing around with EqualizerAPO, at the moment I'm using the Innerfidelity K702 preset which I think equalises to Harman 2018 IIRC. A/Bing it a bit vs no EQ. I think it loses some of the natural timbre the K702 has in some room-like binaural recordings, though in others it sounds more natural, so it's a toss-up. In some songs there seems to be better instrument separation, more sparkle, and of course a lot more low end, making songs like this a LOT nicer than they are without EQ.

The Lindsey Stirling orchestral remixes are already fantastic on the K702 as is with no EQ, but this one in particular really did respond well to the EQ preset:

Edit: Just for fun I've been playing around EQing the K702 to the FR of other headphones I'd like to try some day to get a taste for the overall vibe. (Someone made a little Excel spreadsheet where you basically grab the EQ -> Harman for both your headphones and the headphones you'd like to try the FR of, and it'll reverse the relevant changes to instead EQ your headphones to the target headphones)

...I did not expect to like the strange looking HD820 FR so much. Or my K702 to take +11db @ 31Hz so easily. But I do and it did. :beyersmile: (Now the only problem is I want a HD820..)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #13,335 of 20,405
+

Whenever I play music with any of my old CD players, headphones plugged in their headphones out I always wonder if upgrades in DAC technology the last decennia really exist? And what the use of a dedicated headphones amp is? The sound of my 1993 Yamaha CD-870 is just simply wonderful, not worse than any current DAC I auditioned and just like with my other CD players the built in headphones output is excellent. No need for a dedicated amp at all, this applies to all ,my headphones including the Avantone planar, HD650 and R70X.
Thanks for not leaving me alone in this regard. I've been heavy into the headphone thing for 15 years now, strategically moving up the ladder, obtaining this and that new piece of gear in attempts to upgrade my listening experience. Finally one day a few years back I unplugged my headphones from dedicated desktop amps and dacs and walked over to my 2-channel system and first plugged headphones into my Onkyo C7030 CD player. Very, very good sound. Next I plugged into the headphone out on my Emotiva BasX PT-100 preamp. Literally mind blown. If I didn't need something at my desk I would probably part with all my iFi/Schiit/Fiio gear. Mmmm, if only the Emotiva preamp was smaller. Lol. Maybe my upgradeitus in the realm of headphones and related gear is finally disappearing after all these years for what seemed be very minute incremental upgrades with little if any impact on my listening enjoyment. May be also why I've focused the last 2 years on upgrading and enjoying my stereo system the majority of the time. Oh well, to each his own. Just enjoy the music however you engage!!

BTW- how do you like the X3? I have the original X2 from 2014 that I still cherish and will never part with. Was eyeballing the X3 on the recent Prime day but bought the Drop HD6XX instead. Looking at the X3 for Black Friday maybe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back