For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #8,926 of 20,818
Switching off the Bach and now onto some newer instrumental prog rock inspired stuff, there is some EDM on this album as well.

Some tracks have impressive club level amount of Bass.
Solo album from the guitarist of Ozric Tentacles came out earlier this year in July.

Listening on new set of IEMs that arrived in Fridays mail and have been burning in all weekend.

This is my first set with a pizeo transducer, they seem to image well and have a huge soundstage, male and female vocals are forward and treble is not harsh or sibilant. Cymbal strikes sound a little softer and less defined then on my hybrid BA sets. These may need more burning in time, overall I am impressed by these and they seem a bargain for $90. They are very "listenable" i.e. not fatiguing. Seeing now they are $15 cheaper

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...cPxM8Ia&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

BQEYZ Topaz IEM < SMSL HO100 < SMSL D6 DAC < roon < Qobuz

https://open.qobuz.com/album/pzgmlptuzmbjc

1668991097072.png

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #8,928 of 20,818
Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 8.42.36 PM.png

One of the best soundtracks that captures the feel of Renaissance Italy. Feels like I'm walking through the crowded streets of Florence and Venice, especially songs like "Ezio's Family" and "Dreams of Venice" from Disc 1.

Apple Music > SMSL SU-9N > SMSL SH-9 > HIFIMAN Sundara

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #8,929 of 20,818
0A31A9A4-2F3B-43EB-A4B4-E3A7358DE583.jpeg
619E114A-A430-41E8-930D-158B6F875561.jpeg

[ECM (Editions of Contemporary Music): February, 1979.]

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #8,930 of 20,818
Sennheiser HD600 > Schiit LYR 3 > Schiit Bifrost multibit/Unison USB

z.jpg

R-12539495-1591742235-6325.jpg

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #8,931 of 20,818
Switching off the Bach and now onto some newer instrumental prog rock inspired stuff, there is some EDM on this album as well.

Some tracks have impressive club level amount of Bass.
Solo album from the guitarist of Ozric Tentacles came out earlier this year in July.

Listening on new set of IEMs that arrived in Fridays mail and have been burning in all weekend.

This is my first set with a pizeo transducer, they seem to image well and have a huge soundstage, male and female vocals are forward and treble is not harsh or sibilant. Cymbal strikes sound a little softer and less defined then on my hybrid BA sets. These may need more burning in time, overall I am impressed by these and they seem a bargain for $90. They are very "listenable" i.e. not fatiguing. Seeing now they are $15 cheaper

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...cPxM8Ia&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

BQEYZ Topaz IEM < SMSL HO100 < SMSL D6 DAC < roon < Quboz

https://open.qobuz.com/album/pzgmlptuzmbjc

1668991097072.png

Good pick! Ed Wynne definitely puts out some good music, both solo and with Ozric Tentacles. As for the piezo driver thing, I've only owned the Hook-X as far as IEMs with piezos in them go and I felt like it was almost an afterthought thrown in for marketing and novelty because it doesn't effect the sound in any meaningful way. Since then I have been wanting to try a better implementation so I'll have to look the Topaz up.

I just got home from rehearsal for 6 hours, showered, ate a fantastic meal (my girl can COOK), put on my favorite hockey jersey/addidas track pants/slippers pijama outfit, and parked my ass firmly in my favorite recliner for a nice relaxing listening sesh. Tonight I have the AKG K340s plugged into the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos with the Gustard X26 pulling DAC duties being fed all the bit-perfect, hi-res audio it can handle by my laptop/Qobuz/locally stored files.

Picking up where I left of in my queue, I have Voivod's well-known classic Nothingface on deck. There's nothing I can say here that hasn't been said by more eloquent folks with more knowledge or higher levels of pretentiousness than your humble author so I'll keep it short and sweet. There's a reason this album has the reputation it has and why it's held in high esteem by prog fans, musicians, and critics alike. If you've heard this album before then you already know. If you haven't heard this album before you need to add it to your queue.

ab67616d0000b273bbd0196df4b123504e216405.jpeg

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #8,932 of 20,818
Disney+ (you'll see) > Spring 3 KTE > Ferrum OOR + Hypsos > Verite Closed

Elton John Farewell from Dodger Stadium. Wife is sleeping but wanted to tip toe to the PC to catch a few songs of this while it's going on live! :)

1669009006960.png

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #8,933 of 20,818
Good pick! Ed Wynne definitely puts out some good music, both solo and with Ozric Tentacles. As for the piezo driver thing, I've only owned the Hook-X as far as IEMs with piezos in them go and I felt like it was almost an afterthought thrown in for marketing and novelty because it doesn't effect the sound in any meaningful way. Since then I have been wanting to try a better implementation so I'll have to look the Topaz up.

I just got home from rehearsal for 6 hours, showered, ate a fantastic meal (my girl can COOK), put on my favorite hockey jersey/addidas track pants/slippers pijama outfit, and parked my ass firmly in my favorite recliner for a nice relaxing listening sesh. Tonight I have the AKG K340s plugged into the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos with the Gustard X26 pulling DAC duties being fed all the bit-perfect, hi-res audio it can handle by my laptop/Qobuz/locally stored files.

Picking up where I left of in my queue, I have Voivod's well-known classic Nothingface on deck. There's nothing I can say here that hasn't been said by more eloquent folks with more knowledge or higher levels of pretentiousness than your humble author so I'll keep it short and sweet. There's a reason this album has the reputation it has and why it's held in high esteem by prog fans, musicians, and critics alike. If you've heard this album before then you already know. If you haven't heard this album before you need to add it to your queue.

Thank's for the suggestion. I will give this a listen with the K340 also. I was Listening to RUSH 2112 earlier on them. I've listened to this album a million times and Nothing sounds as sweet as the K340/2112 combination.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #8,936 of 20,818
Thank's for the suggestion. I will give this a listen with the K340 also. I was Listening to RUSH 2112 earlier on them. I've listened to this album a million times and Nothing sounds as sweet as the K340/2112 combination.

The K340s are a great headphone with most classic prog. It's almost like they were built for the genre. I think the particular way they combine a tight but powerful low end with an almost ethereally breathy upper treble makes for a particularly energetic and detailed presentation that most headphones using a single transducer type can't match. It's a situation where the thing that some people see as a lack of coherency works in the K340s favor. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on Voivod.

For me I have switched to something a bit more laid back with the ZMF Atriums taking the place of the K340s, still being driven by the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Gustard X26 providing DAC services being fed by my laptop/Qobuz.

Up next in my queue is another classic prog staple, King Crimson's 1969 effort In The Court Of The Crimson King. This is one of those albums that's often credited with shaping the development of the progressive rock genre for decades to come and rightfully so. You can clearly hear that this album is a transitional album with plenty of mainstream classic rock showing through on various tracks. That said, you also hear plenty of the time signature changes and ad hoc musical musings with jam like structures that would come to be hallmarks of progressive rock in the years and decades that followed this album's release. It's always a solid pick!

images.jpeg

P.S. I'd like to add that this album cover has always creeped me out. Something about the expression on the face, the look in the eyes, and the really widely flared nostrils is just unsettling to me. I know, I'm weird...but I can't help it.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #8,937 of 20,818
Pics Cut_2022112122610811.png

Nothing Face by: Voivod.

K340 Electrostat - Dynamic System < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD < @JAnonymous5150

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #8,939 of 20,818
To round out the night/wee hours of the morning I have switched to the DCA Expanse driven by the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and changed the DAC out to the Holo Audio May KTE with my laptop/Qobuz providing the bit-perfect audio delicacies once again.

As some of you regulars here may have noticed, I sometimes like to choose a band I haven't listened to much in a while and go through some of the highlights of their discography, or sometimes even the whole thing, in order to reacquaint myself with an old favorite. Well tonight I'm going to begin getting reacquainted with a fantastic prog outfit hailing from Germany, Eloy. I'm going to start with the 2019 remaster of their 1977 album entitled Ocean.

Eloy has the whole package you look for in a great prog band: top shelf musicianship, courage to explore, admirable songwriting skills, impeccable arranging and chemistry, and...German accents! Seriously though, this band is always a treat to listen to as they combine all those characteristics consistently in a catchy, approachable way. Ocean is an album that I think of as a great introduction to prog in general and Eloy in specific.

I wish all of you out there a good night or good day, as the case may be and happy listening!

Eloy_Ocean.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back