For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #8,446 of 19,989
Qobuz > Spring 3 KTE > OOR+Hypsos > Susvara

Listening to some Michael Jackson goodness!

1667880149818.png

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #8,447 of 19,989
…Without critically listening, flaws or shortcomings become exposed by the limitations they impose on the experience itself, if that makes sense.
• That makes perfect sense, and in fact is what really happens, at least with me. “Critical” listening is, I believe, “conscious” listening. Effort is involved. Because of that, my receptivity to the emotion wrought by the sound ‘takes a back seat’.
• In “conscious” listening, my inherent tendency is to evaluate the plausibility of the sound. The handwriting, as it were, rather than the sentence.
• For me, then, the best audio gear is that which makes me listen ‘unconsciously’. Best expressed by the title of Atlantic SD-1603 released in 1972 by Les McCann: Invitation To Openness.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #8,448 of 19,989

1667880149818.png
With that audio chain, it must be “the funk of 40,000.1428571429 years” 😲.

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #8,449 of 19,989

1667880149818.png

Any chance that you've also heard the May KTE? If so do you have any impressions on differences you'd be cool with sharing?

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #8,450 of 19,989
• That makes perfect sense, and in fact is what really happens, at least with me. “Critical” listening is, I believe, “conscious” listening. Effort is involved. Because of that, my receptivity to the emotion wrought by the sound ‘takes a back seat’.
• In “conscious” listening, my inherent tendency is to evaluate the plausibility of the sound. The handwriting, as it were, rather than the sentence.
• For me, then, the best audio gear is that which makes me listen ‘unconsciously’. Best expressed by the title of Atlantic SD-1603 released in 1972 by Les McCann: Invitation To Openness.

I totally agree with almost all of what you said and I'm glad someone else gets it. For me though, the best gear allows for both parts of me to be active (conscious/critical and unconscious/emotional) and the music, my mood, and the other variables that create the overarching experience are allowed to choose which side of my listening-self engages with the music. For me it's very rare to find gear that lets me effortlessly do both without having to choose or compromise and that's a big part of the reason I choose the gear I choose.

BTW, it's moments and discussions like these where I find someone who clearly understands listening on much the same level I do that makes this place so special. There are a lot of other benefits and a lot of information and fun to be had, but it's these breakthrough kind of moments that really keep me coming back.

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #8,452 of 19,989
Sometimes to find out just how good a headphone is you have to stop analyzing all its technical abilities and playing "test tracks/albums/playlists" and just throw on a favorite that you know like the back of your hand and see how well said headphone transports you to the emotional space that makes that album a favorite to begin with.
Very well said and fully agree! At some point you gotta give up being the navigator and allow yourself to be taken on a ride.

I showed my friend's brother my speaker system and played him a bunch of tracks he requested. He was practically almost (literally) weeping during the session at how good they sounded and how it transported him to the venue and into the music. I'm sure some of that had to do with some emotional memories.

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #8,453 of 19,989
I totally agree with almost all of what you said and I'm glad someone else gets it. For me though, the best gear allows for both parts of me to be active (conscious/critical and unconscious/emotional) and the music, my mood, and the other variables that create the overarching experience are allowed to choose which side of my listening-self engages with the music. For me it's very rare to find gear that lets me effortlessly do both without having to choose or compromise and that's a big part of the reason I choose the gear I choose.

BTW, it's moments and discussions like these where I find someone who clearly understands listening on much the same level I do that makes this place so special. There are a lot of other benefits and a lot of information and fun to be had, but it's these breakthrough kind of moments that really keep me coming back.
Plus, you have to navigate the twin straits of ‘creator’ and ‘user’. You have to listen critically (as an artist), for enjoyment (as an audience), and know when to do so. Not easy!

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #8,454 of 19,989
Any chance that you've also heard the May KTE? If so do you have any impressions on differences you'd be cool with sharing?

Hey! No I have not - only the Spring 3

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #8,456 of 19,989
JRiver Media Center (PC) > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro

youknowwhat.jpg

You Know What? by The Aristocrats - Musicianship off the scale on this one, I bought it for Guthrie Govan, possibly the finest electric guitarist out there but Brian Beller (bass) and Marco Minnemann (drums) are insanely good too. No vocals but the music is so good there is no need of any, it's also extremely varied. My favourite track is the closer, Last Orders, which features some incredible guitar work from Mr. Govan. I used the DT1990s for this as I wanted to hear every detail on offer :L3000:

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #8,458 of 19,989
Very well said and fully agree! At some point you gotta give up being the navigator and allow yourself to be taken on a ride.

I showed my friend's brother my speaker system and played him a bunch of tracks he requested. He was practically almost (literally) weeping during the session at how good they sounded and how it transported him to the venue and into the music. I'm sure some of that had to do with some emotional memories.
The headphones which make you cry more (emotionally, of course :relieved:) , are the best headphones... Better if they are on Jada's head :couple_with_heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back