For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 7, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #8,416 of 20,281
Top Gun Anthem (from the Maverick soundtrack). Hans Zimmer. QOBUZ 44.1 / 24 bit.

Naia Uniti Headphone Edition -> Danacable Lazuli Reference Plus -> LCD-5.

It's a pretty happy set-up.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #8,417 of 20,281
I had heard about the blinking red light on these CDs and I always wondered how long they were supposed expected to keep going for. That's crazy that 27 years later the light is still working. Also, that cover art is damn cool! 😎
Agreed - Pink Floyd cover art is almost always worth staring at. There’s a trick to keeping the light going - it’s obvious if you think about it, but it’s also not readily apparent. Almost like it’s a simple puzzle that no one solves because no one realizes it’s even there. Leave it to the Floyd (or was it Hipgnosis’ idea??). I seriously doubt there are very many others (even among those who figured it out) who still bother to keep theirs ‘pulsing’, but the stubbornness of my OCD sometimes surprises even me….

🤓

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #8,418 of 20,281
Mendelssohn is sometimes undervalued. No Beethoven or Brahms, Mendelssohn is nevertheless a great composer with some masterpieces. One is the incidental music to A Midsummer´s night dream. The overture he wrote when he was just 17 and the rest many years latter. Try the overture, a small masterpiece.
Qobuz- sony nwa-55L as dac- Etymotic ER4XR

Anotación 2022-11-07 112006.png
Another good recording of Mendelssohn's symphonies and the same recording (I think) of A Midsummer Night's Dream together....
Tidal

mendelssohn - symphonies.jpg

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #8,419 of 20,281
A fine new album from someone I've never listened to, nor even heard of. Very well recorded album.
Enjoying a nice change of pace .... Roon/Qobuz > Bifrost2/64 >Espressivio > DT 880 (600 ohm)

A1tNuvOH-bL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #8,420 of 20,281
One of the great enigmatic Indie bands of them all: Felt. First 2/3 of the bands career (really Lawrence) was a paen to his love of the double lead guitar output of Television - a seminal 70's New York "punk" group - that were much more proficient than that label suggests. Think Buffalo Springfield played by the Velvet Underground at CBGB's. I'll write them up soon. Felt takes that template - and turns it more crystalline and precious but also more obscure and introverted.

Back to Felt: 10 records (some EP length). All the Cherry Red releases are great. Only "Poem of the River' and "Let the Snakes Crinkle their Heads to Death" are for deep fans only. This release on Creation, "Forever Breathes the Lonely Word" is probably the most professional and accessible - but the earlier Cherry Red recordings are more unique and interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-085002~2.png
    Screenshot_20221107-085002~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #8,421 of 20,281
Spotify > bluetooth aptX > Samsung Buds2 Pro w/ new foams.

As they are, the stock Buds2 Pro get uncomfortable after a while in my ears and start hurting. I found Comply makes these foams specifically for the Buds2 so I got some. I am experimenting and so far very comfortable and the sound has actually improved! I really don't use the Buds2/Buds+ much except at the gym or if I'm at the house on the phone or maybe doing a walk through a store. They're more of a temporary tool, but my ears have been having issues with things in them recently so I had to take some steps towards foams. I'm very happy so far.

1667842382294.png

Attachments

• Foams - Imgur.jpg
    Foams - Imgur.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #8,423 of 20,281
Agreed - Pink Floyd cover art is almost always worth staring at. There’s a trick to keeping the light going - it’s obvious if you think about it, but it’s also not readily apparent. Almost like it’s a simple puzzle that no one solves because no one realizes it’s even there. Leave it to the Floyd (or was it Hipgnosis’ idea??). I seriously doubt there are very many others (even among those who figured it out) who still bother to keep theirs ‘pulsing’, but the stubbornness of my OCD sometimes surprises even me….

🤓

So what's the trick?!?! You can't leave me hanging! I don't own the CD so I'm not looking to cheat, I'm just curious. You can PM it to me if you don't want others who own the CD to have the answer instead of solving the puzzle for themselves. 😉😂

This morning I am going to try out the Focal Elex that I borrowed at the suggestion of @Davidzak64 . The rig to start with is going to be the Burson Timekeeper 3i which is a warm solid state source as recommended by him as well. As always, it will be getting a stream of bit-perfect, hi-res goodies from Qobuz and my laptop.

First up on the test track playlist is a continuation of my journey through Dream Theater's catalog with their album from 2009 entitled Black Clouds & Silver Linings. The opening track, A Nightmare to Remember, is absolutely fantastic for testing a headphone's ability to keep the low end clean during very busy and often highly layered passages. Plus, it's just a killer track that's a good way to gauge how engaging a headphone is as well. Overall, this is one of my favorite Dream Theater albums and I highly recommend it.

Now, it's time to see what the Elex, or should I say the K650, is all about...

blackclouds.jpg

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #8,425 of 20,281
So what's the trick?!?! You can't leave me hanging! I don't own the CD so I'm not looking to cheat, I'm just curious. You can PM it to me if you don't want others who own the CD to have the answer instead of solving the puzzle for themselves. 😉😂
I don’t mind sharing - it’s no big secret. There’s a battery compartment hidden inside the outer sleeve that holds the cd and the bound booklet, but you have to look deep inside the sleeve when it’s empty and notice there’s a little sticker buried in there on a piece of cardboard that slides out (with a little effort) that tells you how to do it. Although once you get that far the rest is intuitively obvious, because the battery compartment (2xAA) comes out with the cardboard.

Enjoy!

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #8,426 of 20,281

This morning I am going to try out the Focal Elex that I borrowed at the suggestion of @Davidzak64 . The rig to start with is going to be the Burson Timekeeper 3i which is a warm solid state source as recommended by him as well. As always, it will be getting a stream of bit-perfect, hi-res goodies from Qobuz and my laptop.

First up on the test track playlist is a continuation of my journey through Dream Theater's catalog with their album from 2009 entitled Black Clouds & Silver Linings. The opening track, A Nightmare to Remember, is absolutely fantastic for testing a headphone's ability to keep the low end clean during very busy and often highly layered passages. Plus, it's just a killer track that's a good way to gauge how engaging a headphone is as well. Overall, this is one of my favorite Dream Theater albums and I highly recommend it.

Now, it's time to see what the Elex, or should I say the K650, is all about...

Pics Cut_2022117153359572.png

Jada will be playing along in The Dream Theater.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #8,427 of 20,281
I have seen Jada at "Pic of headphones, one pic, no words" and thought to start a thread named "Pic of Jada, one pic, no words, just love" :rolling_eyes:
You are Jada's #1 fan. She appreciates your admiration for her beauty.
20221107_155330.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #8,428 of 20,281
Listening to Flac purchased a few years ago in mango player on iBasso DX170 driving penon fan2 iem with 4.4mm balanced connection

The recording are new arrangements for woodwind quintet of Mozart's opera cossi fan tutte

The performance and the recording quality are stupendous.

Its also on Quboz

Listen to the release Mozart: Cosi, un opéra muet - Così Fan Tutte, K. 588 (Arr. for Wind Quintet) by Pentaedre on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/wwns07uovg10b

2022_11_07_16.30.15.jpg

Now listening to this streaming from Quboz

Listen to the release Don Giovanni by Ensemble Athena on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/0095115659724

2022_11_07_18.43.35.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #8,429 of 20,281
BTW, how do you like the Dekoni Sheepskins on the HE400i? Any noticeable changes to the sound? I was all set to try the Elite Suede on mine, but now you have me wondering...

For tonight I have the Hifiman HE400is plugged into the JDS Labs El Stack 2+ being fed bit-perfect, hi-res audio goodness from Qobuz and my laptop. The HE400is make a great match for listening to classic rock and related genre albums from the 60s and 70s that can sometimes have a bit of a thin or sucked out sound to them because, despite being plenty detailed, they have a certain forgiving quality to the mids in particular that really helps pull a great sound from those albums.

Up in my album queue is an all-time prog great from 1973, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's classic Brain Salad Surgery. I'm not going to go into a long description of what I like on this one (what a relief right? 😂). It's just a solid album and if you like prog, rock, classic rock, or just solid musicianship and songwriting then you'll probably enjoy this album.

I was actually listening to this album the day before you posted this. It's a real Progressive Classic.
Pics Cut_2022117172423120.png

You know Jada had to get her shot at this one. 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back