For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 6, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #8,386 of 20,894
Found a new label to explore from discussion in the popular classic music thread here on headfi

Praga Digitals.

Currently listening to this compilation of Stravinksky piano duos. Sound quality and imaging is fantastic. The only piano versions of Rites of Spring I had in my library were for 4 hands not duo piano.

ATH-ADX5000 < smsl ho200 < Gustard DAC-X26PRO < roon < Qobuz

Listen to the release Igor Stravinsky: Works for Two Pianos by Bernard Job on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/ahsrrxjmujjxbScreenshot_20221106-112658_Roon.jpg
Thanks for the tip... Next on my playlist.... Tidal...

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #8,387 of 20,894
Right now I've got my Hifiman HE400is plugged into my Burson Timekeeper 3i which is being fed some bit-perfect, hi-res audio goodness from my laptop/Qobuz.

This morning I'm checking out Pink Floyd's 1995 live album, Pulse (Live). I have listened to a few tracks off this album, but I have never listened to the whole thing. That's about to change because I was discussing some plans for a possible side project my bassist and I are thinking about starting with a guitarist friend that we think would fit and part of that discussion segued into live albums. Basically, I was told that I needed to listen to this whole album to fully appreciate it (probably true) so I figured today is as good a day as any.

BTW, @Davidzak64 , guess who has a friend finally heading over to swap his Focal Elex with my HD800S for a week or so? This guy! He should be dropping then off in about 30 minutes and then I'll finally be able to hear the K340-HD650 lovechild you were talking about. Should I go tube hybrid or solid state first for amplification? That's the question.

s-l400-3.jpg

P.S. Pretty album cover, though.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #8,388 of 20,894
Right now I've got my Hifiman HE400is plugged into my Burson Timekeeper 3i which is being fed some bit-perfect, hi-res audio goodness from my laptop/Qobuz.

This morning I'm checking out Pink Floyd's 1995 live album, Pulse (Live). I have listened to a few tracks off this album, but I have never listened to the whole thing. That's about to change because I was discussing some plans for a possible side project my bassist and I are thinking about starting with a guitarist friend that we think would fit and part of that discussion segued into live albums. Basically, I was told that I needed to listen to this whole album to fully appreciate it (probably true) so I figured today is as good a day as any.

BTW, @Davidzak64 , guess who has a friend finally heading over to swap his Focal Elex with my HD800S for a week or so? This guy! He should be dropping then off in about 30 minutes and then I'll finally be able to hear the K340-HD650 lovechild you were talking about. Should I go tube hybrid or solid state first for amplification? That's the question.

The A.K.A K650 😉 The Ocean, Solid State with a warm sounding DAC should do quite well. 👍🎧🎼🎧🎼🎧🎼👍 I hope you like Slam! Of course you do. You're a drummer! 😜
Hopefully you will still have the 800's in the near future. I'll swap you Jada for them for a couple weeks. 😉 You may not even want them back. 🤭
P..S Jada said that she doesn't do IEM, so don't even think about it. 😂🤣😂🤣

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #8,390 of 20,894
So a little shake up today:

Jethro Tull “Songs from the Woods” > Topping D10 > ARC LS7 > Aragon 8008> Koss ESP9B transformer to ESP9B headphones

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #8,391 of 20,894
Roon > Bifrost2/64 > Espressivio > GS3000x (last night 1983 @ MSG)

GUEST_adc03a95-e824-47ef-9c2d-c80fc1f9b082.jpeg

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #8,392 of 20,894
Lounging through some Thelonious Monk on the lovely Audeze LCD-XC. very enjoyable!
The chain is RPi > Naim Dac-V1 > Lehmann Black Cube. Nothing particularly weak with this setup but I can't help but feel a better DAC would do the Audeze's more justice...

Nov 6, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #8,393 of 20,894
The A.K.A K650 😉 The Ocean, Solid State with a warm sounding DAC should do quite well. 👍🎧🎼🎧🎼🎧🎼👍 I hope you like Slam! Of course you do. You're a drummer! 😜
Hopefully you will still have the 800's in the near future. I'll swap you Jada for them for a couple weeks. 😉 You may not even want them back. 🤭
P..S Jada said that she doesn't do IEM, so don't even think about it. 😂🤣😂🤣

I won't be able to try them until I make it back home as I had some business to attend to, but I've got everything setup and ready to go fo a good sesh. If you're serious about wanting to borrow the HD800S we might be able to work something out once I get them back.

Right now I have my DIY 300ohm LCP earbuds plugged into my Cayin N8ii so I can listen to some tunes while I'm out and about.

Currently playing is Dream Theater's 2016 two disc release entitled The Astonishing. This album has it all from love ballads to relentlessly pounding headbangers and it's all in hi-res for your listening pleasure. There are some seriously good tracks in this collection and it's chock full of the high level musicianship you'd expect from Dream Theater. I haven't listened to it in a while and it caught my eye when scrolling through the collection on this particular SD card. It's definitely worth a listen if you've got the time.

81Na2MiRkTL._SY450_.jpg

Nov 6, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #8,394 of 20,894
I won't be able to try them until I make it back home as I had some business to attend to, but I've got everything setup and ready to go fo a good sesh. If you're serious about wanting to borrow the HD800S we might be able to work something out once I get them back.

Right now I have my DIY 300ohm LCP earbuds plugged into my Cayin N8ii so I can listen to some tunes while I'm out and about.

Currently playing is Dream Theater's 2016 two disc release entitled The Astonishing. This album has it all from love ballads to relentlessly pounding headbangers and it's all in hi-res for your listening pleasure. There are some seriously good tracks in this collection and it's chock full of the high level musicianship you'd expect from Dream Theater. I haven't listened to it in a while and it caught my eye when scrolling through the collection on this particular SD card. It's definitely worth a listen if you've got the time.

Modi 3+ / Magni 3+ > Iris 2.0 > The Astonishing
Pretty long album (no surprise). I used to be a metal fan around 6 months ago (specifically Slipknot, Megadeth, BFMV, BMTH) but I don't find myself listening to them anymore. I have heard of Dream Theater (and their notoriously long songs) and I know they are rated quite highly in the metal community. I have to say that the ballad parts like Lord Nafaryus are my favorite pieces from the album. 2285 Entr'acte is also nice.
I have a hard time liking earbuds. I bought the Iris 2.0 because it was cheap, accessible, and rated decently by RikuodouGoku. Sound is really dependent on the positioning and I sometimes have channel imbalance. I don't use foams since they reduce the detail (to my ears) and they also tend to fall off. I have found a use for them, though: sleeping. Since they are more open, I don't have to worry about necrosis or something of that sort than if I used IEMs. I could actually hear my alarm when it goes off. Also, I could also sleep on my side with earbuds! In terms of portable audio: I just stick with no wires.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #8,397 of 20,894
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #8,398 of 20,894

Great album. I’ve got the original 1995 cd release with the pulsing red light. And, I’ll wager mine is one of the very few that still pulses…. 😎

DF6A0B9F-75B7-4F8C-B745-1A81B909678F.jpeg

And then there’s the 4-LP vinyl box …

image.jpg

British EMI.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #8,399 of 20,894
F37AD368-1957-4E75-A077-CD9ABD5065AC.jpeg
642A6C57-2E60-4D37-96BD-CC6C88AABE55.jpeg
2F25E89E-6E80-41CD-A940-F65A183E8446.jpeg

Atom Heart Mother Pink Floyd [Capitol / Harvest: October, 1970.]

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #8,400 of 20,894
Modi 3+ / Magni 3+ > Iris 2.0 > The Astonishing
Pretty long album (no surprise). I used to be a metal fan around 6 months ago (specifically Slipknot, Megadeth, BFMV, BMTH) but I don't find myself listening to them anymore. I have heard of Dream Theater (and their notoriously long songs) and I know they are rated quite highly in the metal community. I have to say that the ballad parts like Lord Nafaryus are my favorite pieces from the album. 2285 Entr'acte is also nice.
I have a hard time liking earbuds. I bought the Iris 2.0 because it was cheap, accessible, and rated decently by RikuodouGoku. Sound is really dependent on the positioning and I sometimes have channel imbalance. I don't use foams since they reduce the detail (to my ears) and they also tend to fall off. I have found a use for them, though: sleeping. Since they are more open, I don't have to worry about necrosis or something of that sort than if I used IEMs. I could actually hear my alarm when it goes off. Also, I could also sleep on my side with earbuds! In terms of portable audio: I just stick with no wires.

I'm glad you liked the album. It's definitely a long listen, but it's a pretty good one, IMO. 2285 Entr'acte is probably my favorite track on the whole thing as well, but there are quite a few cool parts where there are sick guitar solos or really cool drum fills and stuff like that.

As for the earbud thing, I own the Iris 2.0 as well and they're pretty good for $8-$10, but you can find much more impressive buds, some for not much more cash. I've only been doing the earbud thing for about 6-7 months, but I really like them and have been pretty amazed by what they're capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back