For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #8,461 of 20,287
Decided to go closed for the rest of the week (Focal Radiance).

20221108_102420.jpg

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #8,462 of 20,287
Plus, you have to navigate the twin straits of ‘creator’ and ‘user’. You have to listen critically (as an artist), for enjoyment (as an audience), and know when to do so. Not easy!

You hit the nail on the head with that one. I do find it difficult sometimes to turn of the musician/artist/songwriter side that's always evaluating music for new ideas, inspiration, techniques, etc and sit back and enjoy the music as an audience member or fan. I also tend to switch between those two modes without conciously deciding to which is a big reason why gear that allows me that flexibility without compromising one listening experience for the other tends to be my favorite gear.

You're an astute guy and I think it's so cool to find someone who understands listening in the same terms I do. That's certainly not an everyday experience for me.

Now for the topical part, I'm taking a break from the Elex after listening to them most of the night well into the wee hours of the morning so I can cleans my audio palette and approach them again fresh a little later on. For now I have the Hifiman HE400is plugged into the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE pulling DAC duties and being fed some bit-perfect, hi-res lovliness from locally stored files on my laptop.

This morning I'm listening to a little Jimi Hendrix. Specifically, I have his Classic Singles Collection at the top of the queue. I don't think there's any praise I can heap upon Hendrix that wouldn't just be redundant at this point. What I can say is that this singles collection is actually very well done with good high quality takes that really make it a great listen. If you have the opportunity to check it out, I would highly recommend it.

51XcSClXi3L._SY580_.jpg

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #8,463 of 20,287

Sennheiser HD250 Linear > Violectric HPA V90 > Topping D50s

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #8,464 of 20,287
SlothRock: 🎵 “Head-Fiers just wanna have fun…” 🎶

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #8,465 of 20,287
…This morning I'm listening to a little Jimi Hendrix.** Specifically, I have his Classic Singles Collection at the top of the queue. I don't think there's any praise I can heap upon Hendrix that wouldn't just be redundant at this point. What I can say is that this singles collection is actually very well done with good high quality takes that really make it a great listen. If you have the opportunity to check it out, I would highly recommend it.

51XcSClXi3L._SY580_.jpg
** Thank you, Dick Dale !

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #8,466 of 20,287
JRiver Media Center (PC) > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro

youknowwhat.jpg

You Know What? by The Aristocrats - Musicianship off the scale on this one, I bought it for Guthrie Govan, possibly the finest electric guitarist out there but Brian Beller (bass) and Marco Minnemann (drums) are insanely good too. No vocals but the music is so good there is no need of any, it's also extremely varied. My favourite track is the closer, Last Orders, which features some incredible guitar work from Mr. Govan. I used the DT1990s for this as I wanted to hear every detail on offer :L3000:
Listening to this now, thanks for post, it's excellent. Got their live album queued up next

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #8,467 of 20,287
JRiver Media Center (PC) > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro

youknowwhat.jpg

You Know What? by The Aristocrats - Musicianship off the scale on this one, I bought it for Guthrie Govan, possibly the finest electric guitarist out there but Brian Beller (bass) and Marco Minnemann (drums) are insanely good too. No vocals but the music is so good there is no need of any, it's also extremely varied. My favourite track is the closer, Last Orders, which features some incredible guitar work from Mr. Govan. I used the DT1990s for this as I wanted to hear every detail on offer :L3000:

Marco Minneman is one of my favorite drummers. I was invited by a drum manufacturer that I used to have a deal with to teach a drum clinic at a trade show and Minneman was one of the other drummers that was doing a session. Not only is he extremely talented, but he's also a very nice guy.

I had never done a clinic before and was a little unsure of how it was going to go. When I was talking with him I mentioned it and he gave me some pointers and even went first so I could observe and get a better idea of how it was supposed to go. It made the whole thing a very positive experience for me.

Time to add some work from The Aristocrats to the queue. It's been too long...

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #8,469 of 20,287
Marco Minneman is one of my favorite drummers. I was invited by a drum manufacturer that I used to have a deal with to teach a drum clinic at a trade show and Minneman was one of the other drummers that was doing a session. Not only is he extremely talented, but he's also a very nice guy.

I had never done a clinic before and was a little unsure of how it was going to go. When I was talking with him I mentioned it and he gave me some pointers and even went first so I could observe and get a better idea of how it was supposed to go. It made the whole thing a very positive experience for me.

Time to add some work from The Aristocrats to the queue. It's been too long...
Very cool! Minneman is my favorite drummer right now and I was bummed when he wasn’t chosen for Dream Theater many years ago. It obviously worked out for the best for both parties but Minneman is an absolutely insane drummer. Combines ridiculous technicalities with extremely catchy drum rhythms to boot. Guthrie is one hell of a guitar player as well.

Saw The Aristocrats live after their first album and they just killed it. Would love to see them live again anytime

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #8,470 of 20,287
Pics Cut_2022118183212723.png

I'm still in experimental mode with the 702's. Steely Dan's aja is a great album for doing just that. I think the 702's might just crack top 5 in my standard rotation. 🎼🎧🎼🎧🎼=😁
Maybe even have the honor of taking up a spot in The Selectophone 3000 arena.

20221108_185552.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #8,471 of 20,287
I have a feeling that @jonathan c is a bot. Because it appears that he never sleeps. 😁😜 We need Elon to take over here.
My younger son is an AI researcher at Meta - I may be able to help.

You are Jada's #1 fan. She appreciates your admiration for her beauty.
In my business, we call it ‘stalking.’

I was actually listening to this album the day before you posted this. It's a real Progressive Classic.

You know Jada had to get her shot at this one. 😜
566D61F9-7083-4307-8B03-BC50EDCF429B.jpeg

Heh-heh - shot - heh-heh

Just supporting Joe Walsh! :p
(Guitarists are always the best at anything)
Phish did an AMAZING cover of Walk Away to close Set 1 at the 7/22 show at Bethel Woods (NY) this past summer. Brought the house down!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #8,472 of 20,287
Very cool! Minneman is my favorite drummer right now and I was bummed when he wasn’t chosen for Dream Theater many years ago. It obviously worked out for the best for both parties but Minneman is an absolutely insane drummer. Combines ridiculous technicalities with extremely catchy drum rhythms to boot. Guthrie is one hell of a guitar player as well.

Saw The Aristocrats live after their first album and they just killed it. Would love to see them live again anytime

I saw The Aristocrats play at The Filmore in San Francisco (one of my favorite venues) shortly after Culture Clash dropped. They put on a killer show for sure. The solos that these guys were ripping through were INSANE! Just a great show and a great night. 🤘😎

So I'm back to listening with the Elex right now. I have them plugged into the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Gustard X26 pulling DAC duties and being fed bit-perfect, hi-res audio goodness from Qobuz/my laptop.

On deck is Time And A Word, Yes' second album and one of the early ones that I like before they got a little too far out there and, dare I say, a little too full of themselves. This album really is a very nice stepping stone from the psychedelic rock that had been dominating rock and roll for the last half of the 60s to the 1970s prog and art rock movements. Listening to this album you can definitely hear the influences of both in a very well blended and listenable way.

If I had no idea who Yes were and you played me this album and then one of the albums after Close To The Edge, I don't know if I would believe you that the same band was responsible for both. Either way, this album gets two thumbs up from me. Highly recommended!

ab67616d0000b273feb804d55a8dc979288d2786.jpeg

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #8,475 of 20,287
24DEA88D-EC2A-47FF-BB87-FE6948611434.jpeg

Apple Music > SMSL DO100 > THX AAA 789 > Sundara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back