For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 4, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #8,311 of 20,818
Switched over to my ZMF Verite Closed on the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE resuming DAC duties once again being fed bit-perfect, hi-res goodness from locally stored files on my laptop. Some days I'll be in the middle of a sesh and a little voice in the back of my head will start telling me to switch to the VCs and no matter how much I'm enjoying the set I'm currently using that voice just gets louder and more insistent until I do.

Thankfully, once I do put the VCs on, I remember why they're such an awesome and unique pair of headphones. One cool thing about the VCs is that I can put them on at any time for any music and be totally satisfied with what I'm hearing. The VCs are also a headphone that is so unique in what it delivers to me that they have created a musical itch that only they can scratch, thus ensuring that I can never get rid of them. Not that I'd want to. I love these things!

As far as the music goes, I am having a live album kinda night and the next live album up from the queue is Dream Theater's Distant Memories: Live in London. The concert captured on this live album is such a sick set and I would give my kidney and half my liver to have been there! Luckily for me (and for anyone else who takes a listen) this is an incredibly well recorded performance. I have the hi-res version in 24/48 and you can hear every little detail, every nuance, each tom strike or string pick on every fill and solo for the whole show. On top of that, the atmosphere and crowd noise are present adding to thd experience and the illusion that you're at the show, but never allowed to be detrimental to the clarity and quality of the music.

The actual performance itself is really top shelf. I won't bore you guys with a bunch of details about a group of musicians we all already know are elite. I just want to mention one thing and, believe it or not, it's not about the drumming. Some of the guitar solos/work captured on these tracks is really phenominal. Just one example is on the fifth track, "In The Presence of Enemies, Part 1." John Petrucci just goes out of his mind shredding up and down the fretboard in his solo, but also on a couple bridges. I consider myself a Petrucci fan and I have to say that his playing at this show really transcends his normal greatness and really just gets ridiculously sick!

Anyways, sorry for the super long post, but as you can tell, I dig this album a lot and I can't recommend it highly enough. To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

DistantMemories.jpg

P.S. I also think this is a pretty cool album cover. I need to find a poster or wall hang of this cover.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #8,312 of 20,818
Switched over to my ZMF Verite Closed on the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE resuming DAC duties once again being fed bit-perfect, hi-res goodness from locally stored files on my laptop. Some days I'll be in the middle of a sesh and a little voice in the back of my head will start telling me to switch to the VCs and no matter how much I'm enjoying the set I'm currently using that voice just gets louder and more insistent until I do.

Thankfully, once I do put the VCs on, I remember why they're such an awesome and unique pair of headphones. One cool thing about the VCs is that I can put them on at any time for any music and be totally satisfied with what I'm hearing. The VCs are also a headphone that is so unique in what it delivers to me that they have created a musical itch that only they can scratch, thus ensuring that I can never get rid of them. Not that I'd want to. I love these things!

As far as the music goes, I am having a live album kinda night and the next live album up from the queue is Dream Theater's Distant Memories: Live in London. The concert captured on this live album is such a sick set and I would give my kidney and half my liver to have been there! Luckily for me (and for anyone else who takes a listen) this is an incredibly well recorded performance. I have the hi-res version in 24/48 and you can hear every little detail, every nuance, each tom strike or string pick on every fill and solo for the whole show. On top of that, the atmosphere and crowd noise are present adding to thd experience and the illusion that you're at the show, but never allowed to be detrimental to the clarity and quality of the music.

The actual performance itself is really top shelf. I won't bore you guys with a bunch of details about a group of musicians we all already know are elite. I just want to mention one thing and, believe it or not, it's not about the drumming. Some of the guitat solos/work captured on these tracks is really phenominal. Just one example is on the fifth track, "In The Presence of Enemies, Part 1." John Petrucci just goes out of his mind shredding up and down yhe fretboard in his solo, but also on a couple bridges. I consider myself a Petrucci fan and I have to say that his playing at this show really transcends his normal greatness and really just gets ridiculously sick!

Anyways, sorry for the super long post, but as you can tell, I dig this album a lot and I can't recommend it highly enough. To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

DistantMemories.jpg

P.S. I also think this is a pretty cool album cover. I need to find a poster or wall hang of this cover.
VC high five!
Cover very cool, especially for Halloween time!

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #8,313 of 20,818
JRiver Media Center (PC) > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Denon AH-D7200

otherworlds.jpg

Other Worlds by The Pretty Reckless - New one from Taylor Momsen and her crew and this one's a doozy. It's mostly made up of acoustic versions of their songs plus some covers and that usually means the band haven't had time to put the effort into writing a full new album. In this case however it's pretty magical, they've slowed down and rather than getting everything at full volume there is plenty of subtlety involved and it shows that when she takes her foot off the gas she's got a damned fine voice. My favourite cover is Quicksand by Bowie but the barnstormer is an acoustic version of 25, which is so intensely atmospheric and she throws everything she's got into it, I can just imagine being in the audience singing my heart out along with her. She's come a long way from her teenage actress beginnings and has definitely earned her rockstar wings. :L3000:

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #8,316 of 20,818
New release Friday -

19F8F99A-A6BD-4458-84D7-F12079387757.jpeg

The great Joey Baron takes over the drum kit and, as always, does a superb job in the style of the departed master himself. Jakob Bro, if you don’t know him, is a guitar virtuoso in the nature of Bill Frisell (indeed, they’ve recorded multiple albums together). By that, I mean that he’s all about creating unusual harmonies and soundscapes to inspire and bring out the best from freewheeling soloists like the featured Joe Lovano, he is not about blazing riffs and speed and being the center of attention himself. Thoughtful, beautiful music.

Sounds spacious and alive on the newly caparisoned RS-1e.

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #8,317 of 20,818
A little no-nonsense electro-krautrock to give me a mid-morning efficiency boost. Rockin' the Sr325e's via qudelix 5k. Mercy.

cover.jpg

[edit] it's 2pm, where did my morning go?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #8,318 of 20,818
This morning, I watched a review of "Hollow Knight" (PC game) which brought me a lot of memories of that incredible game, I plan to re-play it this christmas, while waiting for it's second part to be launched.

Well, I also remembered it's incredible OST. I used to play it with the Z7s or 1990 Pros and liked the experience (I couldn't stand the treble with the 9200s), but since I bought the complete edition of the game, I've just realized that I have the OST and the extended OST and I've put it in my foobar videogames playlist...

Right now is incredible, because I'm rediscovering this marvellous OST with the HD 800 :L3000:

This morning, I found this, for Hollow Knight OST fans :L3000: I hope you like it:

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #8,319 of 20,818
By that, I mean that he’s all about creating unusual harmonies and soundscapes to inspire and bring out the best from freewheeling soloists like the featured Joe Lovano, he is not about blazing riffs and speed and being the center of attention himself. Thoughtful, beautiful music.

Sounds completely up my alley, it's been a while since I've listened to any new ECM jazz but I've rarely if ever been disappointed by the label. Thanks for the heads up!

Currently listening to some old school IDM by Phonem, the wonderful Ilisu album, on a D-EJ250 Discman with the MDR-CD1700

1667579179163.png

Very digital music with very human outlines.

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #8,320 of 20,818
New release...
Tidal >> Shanling EM5 >> Hifiman Edition XS

schumann - symphonies.jpg
Many thanks for that! What I have heard so far is great, amazing recording.
Here another new release
7FCE940F-8672-4694-84DF-60DB11804561.jpeg

This is Brahms double concerto with a violin star and a rising cello star!
Astell & Kern SR25 - Denon AH-D7200

4D9162D0-0FB9-49C4-8E80-AA42C540DBD7.jpeg

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #8,322 of 20,818
Many thanks for that! What I have heard so far is great, amazing recording.
Here another new release
7FCE940F-8672-4694-84DF-60DB11804561.jpeg
This is Brahms double concerto with a violin star and a rising cello star!
Astell & Kern SR25 - Denon AH-D7200

4D9162D0-0FB9-49C4-8E80-AA42C540DBD7.jpeg
Thanks for the tip... Will listen this on Tidal this evening...
... And yes, Schumann - The Symphonies are very good...

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #8,325 of 20,818
VC high five!
Cover very cool, especially for Halloween time!

My VCs are the only pair of headphones I have ever owned that I genuinely think I'll own forever. I have never come across anything that does what they do for me and on top of that they are supremely comfortable, absolutely gorgeous, and really feel like some kind of heirloom.

I'm still listening to the VCs this morning, but they are back with their first love, the Burson Timekeeper 3i with the V6 Classic op amps. Honestly, this pairing is a match made in heaven. It maintains the detail and crunch that I love with VCs on a competent solid state amp, but adds a touch of subtle, euphonic warmth without rounding off the note edges or details.

This morning I have a Spoon's "new" album Lucifer On The Moon on deck. This is actually a reworking of their release from this summer, Lucifer On The Sofa which I have posted about here before (highly recommended). This new drop is full of remixes and alternate versions of the tracks from Lucifer On The Sofa. My understanding is that Britt Daniel, guitarist and frontman for Spoon, was working with Adrian Sherwood, a noted dub producer/artist, on a side project while the production and mixing work was wrapping up on LOTS. Daniel asked Sherwood to take the tracks home, have a listen, and shoot him any criticisms or ideas he had in mind when they got together next.

Apparently, that meeting was delayed and ended up taking place months after it was supposed to. By the time they got together Sherwood had been toying with remixes of Spoon's new tracks for a while. Daniel, and subsequently the rest of the band, liked what they heard and decided to have Sherwood put together a lineup of remixes for an alternate release. Thus, Lucifer On The Moon was born.

Normally I write these posts while I'm already listening, but I had to hold off on the listening for a sec so I only just plugged in and will be hitting play right after I hit send. Point being, I have no idea what to expect with this album, but anything Spoon gets an automatic listen from me because they're one of my favorites.

ole1876_1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• HWB3
Back