For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #8,281 of 21,387
If the 650 and K340 had a baby, it would be called Elex. 😁

Damn it! Now I'm gonna be wanting to hear an Elex...I have only heard Utopias, Clears (OG & MG), and Elegia from Focal. I liked the Utopias, but think there's better out there for the money. I almost bought the OG Clears, but decided to hold off and given my unexpected "need" to purchase the Expanse, I'm glad I did. I HATED the Elegias, but I hear they're basically the red5headed stepchild of the Focal line so I guess that makes sense.

I just hope I can find someone with a pair I can demo so my gear addict side doesn't get any ideas for justifying a purchase...

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #8,282 of 21,387
Damn it! Now I'm gonna be wanting to hear an Elex...I have only heard Utopias, Clears (OG & MG), and Elegia from Focal. I liked the Utopias, but think there's better out there for the money. I almost bought the OG Clears, but decided to hold off and given my unexpected "need" to purchase the Expanse, I'm glad I did. I HATED the Elegias, but I hear they're basically the red5headed stepchild of the Focal line so I guess that makes sense.

I just hope I can find someone with a pair I can demo so my gear addict side doesn't get any ideas for justifying a purchase...
Read my edited post above.

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #8,283 of 21,387
Opera in the evening...
Tidal >> Shanling EM5 >> Grado SR325x

ponchielli - la gioconda.jpg

Nov 3, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #8,284 of 21,387
Currently in a dark room just enjoying some music on my ThieAudio Excaliburs plugged into the RME ADI-2 which is pulling amp and DAC duties for this sesh and being fed some bit-perfect, hi-res musical magic from locally stored files on my laptop.

I have a double header for you guys this time around. I'm finishing the second half of Chon's 2015 album entitled Grow. After these guys got mentioned in the Earbud Round-up thread yesterday they got stuck in my head in much the same way as Pattern-Seeking Animals so I just had to get my fix. I love this band and for those of you that like Polyphia and similar outfits, Chon might be right up your alley. They're a little more slowed down and vibey, but every bit as fun to listen to.

Next up and already loaded in my queue is Dream Theater's 2021 (I think) album View From The Top of the World. This album is a great listen in hi-res. There are so many layers and so much going on that it's like I need every bit of extra resolution because I never know which part is going to catch my attention and require a deeper look. I think Dream Theater really put together a great album here after having a couple good, but largely "vanilla," releases for their last couple outings. View is powerful, dynamic, and complex. In other words, classic Dream Theater in all their glory!

This is probably going to be it for me tonight/this morning so I'll wish everyone good night or good day, as the case may be and happy listening!

Chon_Grow_artwork.jpg

91iWFKNIyHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nov 3, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #8,285 of 21,387
Penon Fan 2 iem < SMSL HO200 < Gustard X26 pro < roon < Qobuz

The Bob Weir album posted earlier got me into a deadhead state of mind.

Listening now to some Holly Bowling. If you like the Grateful Dead you will like her, if you like great piano playing check it out.

Her transcription of Terrapin Station is amazing and awe inspiring imo.

Listen to the release Better Left Unsung by Holly Bowling on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/p9epocv51jj7b

Screenshot_20221103-032459_Roon.jpg

Listen to the release Seeking All That's Still Unsung by Holly Bowling on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/gpyu3zqbz3hwb

Screenshot_20221103-033345_Roon.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #8,286 of 21,387
Opera in the evening...
Tidal >> Shanling EM5 >> Grado SR325x

ponchielli - la gioconda.jpg
You inspired me to listen to this today!
This is not an opera but a Suite, an orchestral piece based on a famous opera and compiled by the composer

Richard Strauss Der Rosenkavalier Suite (The knight of the rose). It has some breathtaking melodies and walzes

Anotación 2022-11-03 091914.png

qobuz webplayer - sony nwa-55L as dac- Sennheiser HD599

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #8,287 of 21,387
You inspired me to listen to this today!
This is not an opera but a Suite, an orchestral piece based on a famous opera and compiled by the composer

Richard Strauss Der Rosenkavalier Suite (The knight of the rose). It has some breathtaking melodies and walzes

Anotación 2022-11-03 091914.png

qobuz webplayer - sony nwa-55L as dac- Sennheiser HD599
Thanks for the tip listening now on Tidal with Hifiman Edition XS... Very good... :o2smile:

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #8,288 of 21,387
4E03F2C4-0B3C-46E5-9261-555A99A60A0D.jpeg

My own Spotify playlist - these four groundbreaking albums needed to be collected in one spot (some are to be found under Abercrombie, some under Gateway or, often, under some other group with the same or similar name, but they are not together as they should be). This is experimental, improvisational jazz fusion at its finest.

iMac>Audioengine D2 upsampling wi-fi dac>Plinius Hautonga linestage>HA-160>HD650

Sounds pretty good at this (or any) hour of the day.

If you already know this music (I’m betting some of you knew about the first two albums and very few knew about the second two, later efforts), then you already know how great this trio was. But I really hope someone will try this for the first time and find something new to explore and enjoy.

Hard to believe that the prolific, gifted and unique John Abercrombie has been gone for more than 5 (!) years already. RIP John.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #8,289 of 21,387
Hard to beat a bit of Throbbing Gristle. (don't google it at work)

Hearing everything on Lcd-X via Quedlix 5k

cover.jpg

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #8,291 of 21,387
Pics Cut_20221139718665.png

Continuing my journey through the P-SA collection with the K340 per @JAnonymous5150 recommendation.

K340 Electrostat - Dynamic System < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #8,293 of 21,387
My wife thinks I'm falling in love with Jada... :rolling_eyes: She insists I have to make more infrequent my visits here :relieved: Well... Jada is so pretty...
Lol, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to ask your wife to get that Red Rose tattooed on her neck. 🤔🤣😂🤣😂

20220927_185956.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #8,295 of 21,387
The only difference, Terriero, is that with ears your wife hears every bit of any grumbling: then Hell is fully ablaze!!! 😳😖🔥

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back