For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 4, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #8,341 of 21,387
Stax SR-L500 Mk.2 [and a really fine transfer of this album]:

1667619852569.png

Nov 5, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #8,342 of 21,387
Back to the main rig for this session: Audeze MM-500s plugged into the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE pulling DAC duties and being fed some delicious hi-res music bit by perfect bit. I haven't really listened to the MM-500s much on this rig because they have been in the other room with the Timekeeper 3i that they sound so good on, but tonight's the night!

I was talking about some prog bands with a drummer friend of mine and he recommended I check out a band I had never heard of before named Echolyn. I jumped on Qobuz and looked them up and figured I would just start with their latest album, The End is Beautiful, and if all goes well just work my way back through their discography from there. I'm a few tracks in and so far I'm definitely enjoying what I'm hearing. Plenty of musical chops to go around. Solid drumming and basslines have me groovin' right along with these guys. For any prog fans who, like me, hadn't heard of this band before today, I'd recommend you check them out.

The track I'm listening to now has a really cool, semi-funky horn part that I'm lovin'. I think these guys weave in enough main stream rock and alternative influences along with stuff from genres further afield like funk while being a solid band musically that many people could find something to enjoy in Echolyn. The music is laid back and approachable so come one, come all...😉

ab67616d0000b2734874786c5bd736d9bb689871.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #8,343 of 21,387
Back to the main rig for this session: Audeze MM-500s plugged into the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE pulling DAC duties and being fed some delicious hi-res music bit by perfect bit. I haven't really listened to the MM-500s much on this rig because they have been in the other room with the Timekeeper 3i that they sound so good on, but tonight's the night!

I was talking about some prog bands with a drummer friend of mine and he recommended I check out a band I had never heard of before named Echolyn. I jumped on Qobuz and looked them up and figured I would just start with their latest album, The End is Beautiful, and if all goes well just work my way back through their discography from there. I'm a few tracks in and so far I'm definitely enjoying what I'm hearing. Plenty of musical chops to go around. Solid drumming and basslines have me groovin' right along with these guys. For any prog fans who, like me, hadn't heard of this band before today, I'd recommend you check them out.

The track I'm listening to now has a really cool, semi-funky horn part that I'm lovin'. I think these guys weave in enough main stream rock and alternative influences along with stuff from genres further afield like funk while being a solid band musically that many people could find something to enjoy in Echolyn. The music is laid back and approachable so come one, come all...😉

The most recent Echolyn album I have is I Heard You Listening from 2015 - good band.
My HE400i's are the 2016 model with the suspension strap and plastic wishbone that was prone to snapping (bad batch of plastic). The problem I have is that the protein leather on the underside of the strap has turned mushy and is flaking off, structurally the thing is still solid. I've looked at replacement straps but all of the ones I've seen are missing the fittings that go on either end, that actually hold the thing in place, without those it's useless.

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #8,344 of 21,387
The most recent Echolyn album I have is I Heard You Listening from 2015 - good band.
My HE400i's are the 2016 model with the suspension strap and plastic wishbone that was prone to snapping (bad batch of plastic). The problem I have is that the protein leather on the underside of the strap has turned mushy and is flaking off, structurally the thing is still solid. I've looked at replacement straps but all of the ones I've seen are missing the fittings that go on either end, that actually hold the thing in place, without those it's useless.

Have you looked to see if you can find a headband cover? I have purchased them for a bunch of different sets in the past. As a matter of fact, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Normally I buy them right away for any pairs I think I may resell in the future just to keep the headbands nice and prevent wear. I have one on my Q701 because it makes that headband more comfy. I'd bet someone out there makes one for the HE400i too.

Edit: BTW, thanks for pointing out that Echolyn had more recent albums than the one I was listening to. I found them under a different section of their Qobuz page that I forget to check a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #8,345 of 21,387
I thought Hifiman was selling them direct, for not a ton of money. Is this not what you need?

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/the-newly-enhanced-comfort-headband.html

Edit: I see you are in UK and these are US and Canada only. Maybe shoot customer service an email and see if they can help you out?

Anyway, it’s 2:30 am and I have an 8:30 am tee time (going to be 75 degrees in NY on November 5!) - I should be sleeping but the insomnia is pretty bad lately. Instead, I’m listening to this newly remastered Charlie Hunter trio album from 2006. Even then, I don’t think it was breaking any new ground, but was more of a throwback to the post hard-bop jazz/funk/rock fusion of the 1970’s. That doesn’t mean it’s not fun to hear! I’ve never been able to decide if the eight string (baritone?) guitar is legit or just an affectation, but it sounds legit enough on this album. Plus, I’ve said it before and I know I’m not the first to notice, electric guitar sounds really good on the Grado RS-1e’s.

9F773913-3A43-4020-8201-06D07161629E.jpeg

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #8,346 of 21,387
Qobuz new release friday

Steely Dan at 192 KHz 24 bit

Giving headphones a rest listening on main 2 channel system

Klipsch RF82 powered by VTV AMP based on hypex Ncore NC252MP < Gustard DAC-X16 < roon < Qobuz

http://open.qobuz.com/album/cq9okzc9nwkab

1667630475248.png

I think this may be my end system. This sounds frickin fantastic

… Learn to work the saxophone
(I) I play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whiskey all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
(I) I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

1667631108443.jpeg

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #8,348 of 21,387
Switched to the DCA Expanse driven by the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE pulling DAC duty and being fed some bit-perfect, hi-res audio voodoo from Qobuz and my laptop.

For a little change of pace I decided to go with something classical and Antonin Dvorak came to mind when I was musing over what to pick. I plugged his name into Qobuz and, in combing through the results, I stumbled upon the Stattskapelle Berlin recording entitled Dvorak: Cello Concerto. I'm a sucker for a few specific classical instruments and the cello is one of them so I figured I'd give it a go.

The Expanse is such a dynamic force, but with just a touch of added warmth over the Stealth that lends itself so beautifully to rendering the cello in this piece. The soundstage is so perfectly distributed with everything given it's own place and plenty of space to be appreciated as an individual section or as part of the surging, dynamic whole. It's really quite something to hear a pair of headphones so effortlessly transport you to the orchestra's performance. This recording is so well done and of such quality that it really gives my best rig every bit of detail and makes for a truly moving musical experience. I can't recommend this enough for my classical fans and particularly for my cello aficionados out there.

I wish you all good night or good day, as the case may be, and happy listening!

71PjWS4W5+L._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #8,349 of 21,387
I see you are the proud owner of some K340's there. :L3000: :beerchug:

Yes! And I do love them, though in general I reserve them for more acoustic-leaning music since to me they're at their best when reproducing acoustic instruments. Amazing for jazz, contemporary classical, some ambient too. They have a very relaxed feel to them that I enjoy immensely.

Currently listening to the Paperclip Minimiser S/T on my WM1A with the Etymotic ER3SE, well suited to the very precise sound world of this album (lots of tiny plucks, clinky percussion and obsessive attention to detail throughout).

1667649732589.png

Nov 5, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #8,351 of 21,387
Enjoying 75 degree November weather here in Philly.

Listening to my now fully burned in
penon Fan2 < Ibasso DX170 < Qobuz.

Listening off line file was downloaded

This little DAP is amazing, Android 11 based and brilliant sound quality
The pairing with these new iems is very good

I have the DX 300 with both amp 11 and 12

The DX 170 is very close in sound signature

2022_11_05_12.04.56.jpg

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #8,352 of 21,387
One of the best piano and jazz quartet albums I have ever heard. Monty is at the top of his game.

Been listening to it since it was released. If you like Oscar Peterson and you haven't heard this, get ready to swing hard!

Monty on piano, Eberhard Weber on bass, Ernest Ranglin on guitar, and Kenny Clare on drums.

1667674572461.png

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #8,353 of 21,387
Enjoying 75 degree November weather here in Philly.

Listening to my now fully burned in
penon Fan2 < Ibasso DX170 < Qobuz.

Listening off line file was downloaded

This little DAP is amazing, Android 11 based and brilliant sound quality
The pairing with these new iems is very good

I have the DX 300 with both amp 11 and 12

The DX 170 is very close in sound signature

2022_11_05_12.04.56.jpg

I think it's funny that is warmer in Philly than it is in the LA area this morning and it's Fall. Who would've guessed?

Right now, I'm listening to my Fiio FF3s plugged into my Cayin N8ii while I'm assembling some new shelves I bought for my shop so that I'll have more shelf soace than my current setup which is a transplant from an old house where I had less room for my shelving.

I'm continuing to work my way through Echolyn's catalogue. Taking a recommendation from @rids57 I am gonna give their 2015 album entitled I heard you listening a listen. After listening to Echolyn for the first time ever last night and liking what I heard, I'm excited to see what tricks these guys have up their sleeves for their other albums.

R-7264878-1506108466-2094.jpg

Nov 5, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #8,355 of 21,387
SharedScreenshot.jpg

New Headwear for Jada today. :ksc75smile: Your Latest Trick is a great test song for the 702's maiden voyage. :L3000:

K702 < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

20221105_192845.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back