For the well-rounded headphone enthusiasts...
Aug 7, 2011 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vonx

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help!

I almost dived on the Beyerdynamic Dt880's, then i almost dived on the Denon ah d2000's....

I guess what I'm looking for is a very forward and upfront engaging sound with deep and powerful bass (maybe a bit accentuated, but not too overpowering), yet still retaining sparkly highs that engage you and sound beautiful, with a decent soundstage that is balanced and maybe a tad on the "fun" or colored side. I want to pick these headphones up and listen to them everyday, not because i want to be analytical, but because i want to really truly enjoy listening to music. I dont mind too much if they arent perfectly balanced or completely neutral. I have no interest picking apart my music or pointing out flaws to myself. I just want something that is engaging, fun, clear, detailed, and powerful with a nice warm low end. 

I have a pair of sennheiser IE8's coming in the mail for portable use (which sounded great from reviews but could be a grave mistake for my tastes) but i think im ready to set foot into a decent pair of home cans....

anyone?

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 10
What's your budget? What are you using to power them? What's your DAC?

The LCD-2 is engaging, fun, clear, detailed, and has powerful bass, but it's a good deal more expensive than the other headphones you've looked at.

You could buy a Fostex T50RP and mod it. A thoroughly modded "Thunderpants" compares favorably to the LCD-2.

The Grado HF-2 has a typical Grado's fun, forward sound signature, with slightly tamer highs and more powerful bass. The bass is all mid-bass though, which sucks out a bit of the lower mid-range and warmth. Comfort would probably be an issue too, and you'd have to buy used.

You could be a guinea pig to the still new Hifiman HE-300 dynamic headphone. The two review sites I've seen have been very positive, but beware of Flavor of the Month.

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
What's your budget? What are you using to power them? What's your DAC?

The LCD-2 is engaging, fun, clear, detailed, and has powerful bass, but it's a good deal more expensive than the other headphones you've looked at.

You could buy a Fostex T50RP and mod it. A thoroughly modded "Thunderpants" compares favorably to the LCD-2.

The Grado HF-2 has a typical Grado's fun, forward sound signature, with slightly tamer highs and more powerful bass. The bass is all mid-bass though, which sucks out a bit of the lower mid-range and warmth. Comfort would probably be an issue too, and you'd have to buy used.

You could be a guinea pig to the still new Hifiman HE-300 dynamic headphone. The two review sites I've seen have been very positive, but beware of Flavor of the Month.

Well for my first home purchase i want to keep it under $500 bucks....

Haha, about my amp, i have a vintage kenwood s-7910 "reciever" (tuner/amp combo) that sounds really good and can be used as a headphone amp but I dont have much knowledge on how much voltage it has to run high impendence headphones 
triportsad.gif

I've always used it for speakers (my speakerlab 7's) but they totally crank and are unconventional for family listening.

I guess i like what the LCD's have to offer but maybe from a bit less of a price point; maybe similar characteristics but lower quality?

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 10
I find Denons too bass-heavy. They're fun for a track or two, but I couldn't listen to them for hours and I don't think they work well with a lot of genres I enjoy.

The DT880 I had was forward and had good bass. Comfy, too. I listened to them for hours.

One you might want to put on your list is the Sony MDR-SA5000. Crisp, transparent and has a forward signature with deep bass. It's polarizing here, but I wish it were recommended more often. I think it is a good headphone.

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Try comparing the D2000 to live, acoustic, performances.

I played tuba and bass clarinet for years. I know what they sound like. The D2000 adds bass that those instruments do not produce.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the D2000 (I'm glad you have headphones you enjoy), but I prefer headphones like the DT880 which are closer to what you hear live. The DT880 has a little bass boost, but not that bad.

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 10
But that's not including any music with amplified or processed instruments-- which is a good chunk of the experience, so it moreso fits in with that 'all-rounder' category.  I love the beyer bass, but it just doesn't extend low enough to give a lot of stuff that foundation and depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back