Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 16, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #19,952 of 20,582
Nope - that's just the seam as well as the photo.
Nothing sticky going on around here.
Stickiness has caught me few times so always on guard:spy:

kisspng-magnifying-glass-clip-art-sherlock-5ad167a39fd322.8762163215236729956547.jpg

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #19,954 of 20,582
I had massive glue goop but no driver fail. 🤞

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #19,955 of 20,582
Has anyone recently had to deal with OldTopia (2020 or earlier) dead driver issue?
If so - is it confirmed they are just swapping drivers and sending back your old model?

My left driver is dead. Same exact story as people have experienced countless times... used it on Friday, picked up this morning, no sound in left channel. Bought in 2020. Very low volume listener, under 65db. No reason for it to break other than I guess crap Focal QC / build. I hate to lose the original model's sound but maybe it would be best if they replace me with a NuTopia version.

happy to report my 2020 Utopia is back to working!
no indication of whether they replaced both drivers or just the left channel. sound is effectively as i remember, though maybe slightly tight-sounding which could be less actual driver break-in and more my brain reconditioning.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #19,956 of 20,582
How does the Soekris compare to Denafrips Enyo/Ares?
I'm not a fan of the original Ares. Many label it as analog sounding but I just find it a bit too soft sounding, lacking in dynamics at least for my taste. The soekris fares much better and I recommend it over the Ares for anyone looking for an analog-ish sounding dac. Been a while since I heard both and Denafrips have updated their lineup since I've last heard so best to take it with a pinch.

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #19,959 of 20,582
I tried the utopia on my portable (sony NW-WM1A OG) and while it sounds amazing... it doesn't have that holographic and superior traits like on my DMP-Z1

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #19,960 of 20,582
I tried the utopia on my portable (sony NW-WM1A OG) and while it sounds amazing... it doesn't have that holographic and superior traits like on my DMP-Z1
Not surprisingly cos DMP has much more power,

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #19,961 of 20,582
Can anyone comment on the synergy DNA Stellaris vs the DSHA-3FN performance for the Utopia? I know they are two totally different beasts, different price points, etc. but I'd still be interested.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #19,962 of 20,582
Thinking about selling my Utopia (a second time now, lol), if someone wants an OG check my signature (EU). I'm not using it that often anymore, it's 70% Susvara since i got the Envy and it seems that i value soundstage more nowadays (which the Utopia lacks).
On the other hand it's a fantastic headphone, neutral (which i don't have otherwise), aggressive, the synergy with the Envy is there. I don't want to let it go for an absurdly cheap price, especially because i got a new very nice cable for it...

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #19,963 of 20,582
Can anyone comment on the synergy DNA Stellaris vs the DSHA-3FN performance for the Utopia? I know they are two totally different beasts, different price points, etc. but I'd still be interested.
I can speak on the original DSHA-3F, which the 3N is based on. If you like the Stellaris and Utopia pairing already, the DSHA-3F is the yin to the DNA yang. Not as resolving, it can make up for it with its speed, more intimate, a touch on the warm side depending on what tubes you are using in the DNA. You could pay a lot more to get a solid state amp with the DSHA characteristics, or something closer to Stellaris level.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #19,964 of 20,582
I can speak on the original DSHA-3F, which the 3N is based on. If you like the Stellaris and Utopia pairing already, the DSHA-3F is the yin to the DNA yang. Not as resolving, it can make up for it with its speed, more intimate, a touch on the warm side depending on what tubes you are using in the DNA. You could pay a lot more to get a solid state amp with the DSHA characteristics, or something closer to Stellaris level.
Thank you for this!

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #19,965 of 20,582
I am a relatively new Utopia 2022 owner to complement my Susvara and Atrium Closed. I got it because I wanted a TOTL I can easily take to travels and drive with a small device.

I have enjoyed it with the iFi Gryphon (it benefits from XBass/XSpace) but I know there’s plenty room for improvement. I liked it with Woo Tube Mini (waiting for stocks to arrive at the store). What have been you guys’ favorite portables to pair with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back