Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 9, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #19,802 of 20,582
Terrible how a big company like focal has a 2 year warranty on their totl hp, that cost over 4k, but a much smaller company like Zmf with their Verite with the same driver material can offer a lifetime warranty on the driver.

Not trying to throw shade, but just pointing out the difference in warranty. I love my utopia's amazing headphone, I would be sad if the driver ever went out, would be more cost efficent to purchase a brand new with discount, then repairing the hp. Also with the whole debacle with adorama offering an extreme discount on their utopia stock and focal saying the warranty wouldn't be honored. That left a sour taste for in my mouth towards focal.

If consumers are throwing that much at a totl hp you would think we wouldn't have to be to worried about a driver going bad (or voice coil whichever it is). All the cans I own, the only one I'm worrying about the driver going out is the focal utopia og. Even if it might be a very small percentage of utopia drivers actually dying. There's still way to many documented cases on the internet.

Would I purchase another utopia if the driver did go out, Yes :dt880smile:. It really is one of the best dynamic driver hp out there.

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #19,803 of 20,582
My Utopias were sent back twice due to driver failures. My Focal Arche amplifier, as with a lot of others had a bad software problem which Focal were not interested in fixing and totally washed their hands of it. That finally developed a channel failure problem after an hour or so use. Would i ever buy anything Focal again ? No, don't get me wrong the audio quality is great, but their reliability... not so great.

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #19,805 of 20,582
Rather than make teenage-level posts, I think contacting Focal themselves is in order. The Focal account doesn't seem to have posted for a few years, but there's a chance that a PM to it might get a response. Even so, given it's a public post, a screenshot of that in an email to Focal is worth a try.

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #19,806 of 20,582
given it's a public post, a screenshot of that in an email to Focal is worth a try.
100% - email it to your region’s distributor asking for them to look at it under warranty and cc focal in on that email

a year or so ago, here in australia, i had a local distributor on another product, who did not want to address an issue I had, stating it was my fault there was an issue - ie i am guessing they couldn’t be bothered.

i then emailed the company overseas with some photos of the issue i had, cc’d in the distributor, and the company 100% stood by their product and warranty and told me to send it to them via the distributor. All was sorted promptly.

in this utopia case let’s see what focal decide to say and let us all here on headfi know how you go.

looking forward to hear how @FocalOfficial will look after you

ps after all there is a lot of promotion and discussion of focal products here on headfi as well as retailers that sell focal so you would think they would all not want a lot of negative experiences shared here

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #19,807 of 20,582
Rather than make teenage-level posts, I think contacting Focal themselves is in order. The Focal account doesn't seem to have posted for a few years, but there's a chance that a PM to it might get a response. Even so, given it's a public post, a screenshot of that in an email to Focal is worth a try.
oh yeah? well i think that suggestion is way too sensible.

ps i might've been sneakin' liquor from the ol' lady

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #19,808 of 20,582
I got with my utopia the original invoice dating 5th May 2022. Is that a valid warranty document? For just in case...

Where does one find the serial number?

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #19,812 of 20,582
If you kept your box, the serial is on the box also.

Edit: the brown outer cardboard box

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #19,813 of 20,582
If you kept your box, the serial is on the box also.
Thank you come on do you mean the black books or do you mean? Other pacjaginf.
My seller on eBay gave me only the black box. Inside this box was the carry case on another black box with two flaps, where documentation on the valance cable where.

I did detach the the right eqrpad, and there was a serial number. Thank you very much all for the information.

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #19,814 of 20,582
I can say i love the 2020 Utopia, and i have positive expectations that the Lavri Grand will make them shine.

I love my MDR-Z1R too, i won't be selling either any time soon.

Utopia is for keeping ears cool and listening when quiet. As soon TV or iPad with tiktok runs, i switch to Z1R

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #19,815 of 20,582
Yes. Copper is warmer than silver or you could say silver is brighter than copper. These are the 2 traits I have noticed between Norne Drause/stock copper vs. Gladiator Silver cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back