Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 19, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #19,336 of 20,644
Regarding clipping, I remembered this from a post by Focal a long time ago:

Indeed, we have made a clear design choice on Elear (and by consequence Elex) and Utopia. Our headphones have been designed to favor the respect of the dynamic contained within the audio signal versus dynamic compression that would offer a higher SPL capability but less respect of the original audio signal. To cut a long story short, the choice was audio quality oriented rather than SPL oriented. This allows our products to work with full performances until the mechanical clipping is activated. This means that you jump directly from a very low distortion to a sound which could be heard as rattling / cracking noise. On very special tracks with only very low frequencies at very high level, you can thus hear some noises - as you will do on classic loudspeakers.
If we change your pair of headphones, the new one will be designed similarly and it will also have a kind of cracking sound when you will be listening to music with high volume and a fair amount of bass.
The only solution we can recommend you is therefore to listen to your headphones at a lower volume.

One of the best things about the Utopia is the SOTA sound quality (no need to eq!) combined with high sensitivity. And I don’t listen very loud so Focal’s design choice(s) make total sense to me :ksc75smile:

May 19, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #19,337 of 20,644
I can tell you that the euforia evo sounds 100x better than the utopias out of my a&k… not even comparable…
Utopia will perform "fine" out of virtually any source with a reasonable amount of power - it is not hard to drive. But Utopia scales incredibly well, and incredibly obviously, with higher quality and/or more powerful amps. Sort of like how you can eat a microwaved chicken finger and it's "fine", but a chicken finger that is properly deep fried and dipped in honey mustard sauce is on the "next level". That's sort of how Utopia works. :wink:

May 19, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #19,338 of 20,644
What after market XLR cable are a good match for the 2022 Utopia ?

I’m just running in a brand new one, have 30 hours on it now. It sounds amazing already over the OG Utopia that I sold for this.

The stock cable is different too, not sure if it’s better or not than the OG version. I had a Susvara in a previous life and got the Cardas Clear as an upgrade. Wasn’t that lit up by the change for the money either, but Susvara are picky to any Amp/cable/DAC changes anyway, so I kinda get it.

The dealer that I trust said the Cardas Clear Reflection will be a great cable upgrade. He stocks Cardas and Moon Audio Dragon Series as pretty much his only HP Cables.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #19,339 of 20,644
What after market XLR cable are a good match for the 2022 Utopia ?

I’m just running in a brand new one, have 30 hours on it now. It sounds amazing already over the OG Utopia that I sold for this.

The stock cable is different too, not sure if it’s better or not than the OG version. I had a Susvara in a previous life and got the Cardas Clear as an upgrade. Wasn’t that lit up by the change for the money either, but Susvara are picky to any Amp/cable/DAC changes anyway, so I kinda get it.

The dealer that I trust said the Cardas Clear Reflection will be a great cable upgrade. He stocks Cardas and Moon Audio Dragon Series as pretty much his only HP Cables.
Danacable Luzuli Ultra or Reference Plus. Black dragon works well too. But I prefer the others.

May 20, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #19,340 of 20,644
Luzuli Nirvana here on original Focal Utopia. Hated paying the money for a cable but now that that pain has faded I would not have the utopias fed by anything else. Sublime!

PS. I was allowed to audition the cable for a few weeks even being so far away from USA. Anyway, history says it was all worth it in the end.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #19,341 of 20,644
I’m sure Danacable is superb.
I’m after something less expensive, Moon Audio Dragon seems great too by all accounts.

Not sure if Silver Dragon will be too much of a good thing treble wise with Utopia though and Black Dragon is the safer option.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #19,342 of 20,644
I’m sure Danacable is superb.
I’m after something less expensive, Moon Audio Dragon seems great too by all accounts.

Not sure if Silver Dragon will be too much of a good thing treble wise with Utopia though and Black Dragon is the safer option.
If you go with the Dragon Cable go with the Black Dragon Cable. The silver would be too much. But if you can go with a hybrid cable like the Danacables suggested above. You will not be disappointed. You can always by cables used. I also use adapters to use with different headphones. So really only need to invest once.

May 22, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #19,344 of 20,644
Anyone torn between WM1ZM2 and Uniti Atom HE?
My suggestion is for the Atom HE. It’s one of those rare audio devices that functions perfectly and sounds amazing. Every headphone I’ve thrown at it sounds it’s best. The Utopia and the Naim have great synergy.

May 22, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #19,345 of 20,644
My suggestion is for the Atom HE. It’s one of those rare audio devices that functions perfectly and sounds amazing. Every headphone I’ve thrown at it sounds it’s best. The Utopia and the Naim have great synergy.

Will second the Atom. A cable upgrade on the Utopia can also be worthwhile. But the Atom is really a jack of all trades. Unless you're stretching for Chord TT2 and above level of DAC clarity ... you'd be pretty happy with it.

May 23, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #19,346 of 20,644
Hello can you please advice on good eq for some bass.. i am using original utopia with fiio m17 dap. and mostly listing songs from neturon app.. i tried from autoeq and oratory but missing something.. i am not technical on explaining it so please excuse me

May 23, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #19,347 of 20,644
Hello can you please advice on good eq for some bass.. i am using original utopia with fiio m17 dap. and mostly listing songs from neturon app.. i tried from autoeq and oratory but missing something.. i am not technical on explaining it so please excuse me
I also use Neutron app on my IBasso player. Here you can create a PEQ preset (Playback/Equalizer Presets) with two bands for bass and treble. Use the following parameters:

Bass: Low shelf / Freq: 85 Hz/ Q: 0.8 / Gain: up to you or 0[dB] to turn it off ( you can modify this also on the fly later on the EQ view)
Treble: High shelf / Freq: 6500 Hz / Q: 0.7 / Gain: Up to you or 0[dB] to turn it off.

These can be used in combination with the AutoEQ preset (oratory) (Playback/DSP Effect/Frequency Response Correction)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back