Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #19,171 of 20,634
I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum already, but how the hell does this headphone maintain its startling dynamics even at low listening volumes. Really amazing how tight and impactful notes are. Snare drums slap. Subbass is there, but definitely overpowered by mid bass to my ear. With that said, probably the best I've ever heard metal and heavy rock music. Male vocals and a lot of guitar is forward and really defined and textured with a lot of weight, especially compared to something like a TH900.
An exceptional audio setup should give equally good fidelity at low volumes. That’s the “HiFi” axiom many believe.

I used to go to an audio shop back in the day who had an all magnepan HT setup. He purposely played it at low volume just to show off how good it could sound. It was the complete opposite experience of the Bose store down the street.

The Utopia is truly awesome. Enjoy.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #19,172 of 20,634
I did ask about GSX- Mini vs Ifi Pro iCAN Sig. How about those two vs Naim Atom HE ? That way the temptation of a DAC upgrade is taken away and it’s a nice all in one package and it’s supposed to be a great match with Utopia.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #19,173 of 20,634
I did ask about GSX- Mini vs Ifi Pro iCAN Sig. How about those two vs Naim Atom HE ? That way the temptation of a DAC upgrade is taken away and it’s a nice all in one package and it’s supposed to be a great match with Utopia.
Naim HE and Utopia a great pairing. It’s the best all in one I’ve ever experienced. I’m using the balanced out from the back with an extension for my bedtime/ night listening.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #19,174 of 20,634
Cheers Daniel. I’ll have the in store demo soon then. Kinda need to get off the upgrade round about and just settle for a great an in one I think.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #19,175 of 20,634
Naim HE and Utopia a great pairing. It’s the best all in one I’ve ever experienced. I’m using the balanced out from the back with an extension for my bedtime/ night listening.
Agree to disagree on that one, I hated the sound quality from the Naim HE with my Utopia. I sold it quickly and preferred the ifi Micro iDSD Signature for 1/6th the price.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #19,176 of 20,634
Agree to disagree on that one, I hated the sound quality from the Naim HE with my Utopia. I sold it quickly and preferred the ifi Micro iDSD Signature for 1/6th the price.
Well, I guess you have a definite opinion on that. :gs1000smile:

In all seriousness, I haven't heard/read many people strongly disliking the Naim HE. 90% of the dislike has nothing to do with sound and everything to do with the rather high price. I'd be interested to hear why you "hated it".

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #19,177 of 20,634
Well, I guess you have a definite opinion on that. :gs1000smile:

In all seriousness, I haven't heard/read many people strongly disliking the Naim HE. 90% of the dislike has nothing to do with sound and everything to do with the rather high price. I'd be interested to hear why you "hated it".
I thought the Naim HE was an excellent pairing with the OG Utopia. Enjoyed it more than even the Dave/mscaler. Has better weight and low end texture and the so called PRaT, pace, timing and rhythm. But I didn’t like it much when I first got it. It took a few weeks to really open up. Was too congested. They recommend at least 50 hours burn in. Also found the balanced outs noticeably better on separation.

I have since move on from the Utopia, tried the Expanse, and now with the Caldera. Both sound excellent out of the Naim HE. And at CamJam, found the Expanse actually sounded better from the Naim HE than the DCS Lina stack. Only moved away for the Utopia to try something different. Prefer it over the Expanse and think it’s on par with the Caldera.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #19,178 of 20,634
An exceptional audio setup should give equally good fidelity at low volumes. That’s the “HiFi” axiom many believe.

I used to go to an audio shop back in the day who had an all magnepan HT setup. He purposely played it at low volume just to show off how good it could sound. It was the complete opposite experience of the Bose store down the street.

The fascinating thing about an audiophile system is that it sounds perfect even at low volume - if you turn up the volume, it just gets louder, but the sound doesn't get any better.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #19,179 of 20,634
I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum already, but how the hell does this headphone maintain its startling dynamics even at low listening volumes. Really amazing how tight and impactful notes are. Snare drums slap. Subbass is there, but definitely overpowered by mid bass to my ear. With that said, probably the best I've ever heard metal and heavy rock music. Male vocals and a lot of guitar is forward and really defined and textured with a lot of weight, especially compared to something like a TH900.
I own the OG Utopia and the Stellia. While the Utopia is the superior headphone of the two, the Stellia is my preferred choice for metal and rock. If you ever have the chance I suggest trying the Stellia out.

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #19,180 of 20,634
I’ll
I own the OG Utopia and the Stellia. While the Utopia is the superior headphone of the two, the Stellia is my preferred choice for metal and rock. If you ever have the chance I suggest trying the Stellia out.
agreed… the Utopias only weakness in my book is especially guitar-heavy music like metal… I don’t think the Stellia does excellent there either, to my ears planars do a much better job there.

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #19,183 of 20,634
The guitar and vocals are extremely forward, so it's an aggressive and lively presentation for metal imo. Brings that energy that sometimes I find lacking with planar presentation. Plus, sometimes when the soundstage is too wide, metal can sound too refined. I like the slightly conjested, yet still well-imaged presentation the Utopia gives it, but I'm sure that's highly subjective.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #19,184 of 20,634
The guitar and vocals are extremely forward,
If you haven't, get a custom copper cable (Forza for example), the vocals went half a step outward, it fixed the Utopia for me, the only time that a cable made a big difference (yet). I would not have kept it with the standard cable (that sounds so wrong, it hurts LOL).
Stellia has way too much midbass for me.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #19,185 of 20,634
what do you mean by it being "objectively superior"? does it measure better?
i appreciate that this reviewer is controversial but he has measured both headphones. while he is critical of them both, the utopia appears to suffer from fewer "objective faults" than the abyss 1266 tc - fwiw.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../abyss-ab-1266-phi-tc-review-headphone.23411/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-utopia-review-headphone.22103/
Some thoughts. I apologize if anyone doesn't find it worth the time it took to read.

For what it's worth, I have the Utopia 2022 and the Abyss 1266TC both right here. All fed by Holo -May and Bliss KTE. I really like both cans. The Utopia fall far...very far... short of of the Abyss in terms of pure resolution. They blur details my Grado GS3000X lays out clearly. But "objectively" is the problem. To some - and I would be in that group if I wasn't paying attention - resolution is a huge thing. At flagship levels, I can't accept compromises there. Objectively, a top-shelf headphone can't miss notes, edges, emphases.

I'm also wrong. There is objective data in the bits. But the illusion is never perfect, and to me, objective measurements and their relationship to "better" is worse than pointless. What god does one defer to? I can claim to have fantastic ears. But whether or not I'm objectively better that 99.9999% of music lovers at auditory discrimination tasks, I have no authority to tell anyone else how to listen. or whether they're doing it wrong. But even the best designs have compromises which a given person either doesn't hear, doesn't base their pleasure and judgment upon, or, maybe just feels good. And I doubt the audio gods, or God as an audiophile, considers it a sin to prefer equipment with a lumpy FR, among other "flaws". And the Utopia gets the flow and impact of the music very correct, for me. And it DOES reveal a great deal. It's not a muddled headphone, at all.

But, about being "wrong"... Cognitive dissonance: The Utopia presents music in ways I disapprove of (on the Flagship Rating Scale, which doesn't exist, it gets a B for resolution. Objectively, according to me. I'm a detail freak). But it brings me more PLEASURE than the Abyss 1266TC. And, thinking of music as a whole experience, I sorta sense that the Utopia's qualities were VERY carefully considered, and that the result reflects some sophisticated understanding of how people hear music. Not how they evaluate it. How they EXPERIENCE it. And in this sense, the Utopia may be a greater engineering achievement, even if the Abyss is more resolving in some ways.

My favorite music through the Utopia FEELS better. The Abyss IS better because it reveals more.... but does it? , or does it reveal more of certain things which matter less to my audio-pleasure gland and more to my full-disclosure/truth/whole-truth/nothing-but-truth detector?
I'm selling stuff. I have too many headphones, and I can't fool myself into believing I can afford them. I've spent over a month changing my mind about what has to stay, and what can go. The Abyss is "clearly better". But I won't miss it (much). And the thought of selling the Utopia '22 made me sad, and made me think of how damned MOVING it was to hear certain pieces through it.

Come to think of it, I also LIKED the Empyrean. Which was, in an analytical mindset, a big bowl of oatmeal with berries. Nourishing moosh. One of its dealers cautioned me that it was not good for "critical listening". I disparaged that remark, since the Empyreans were pretty and I wanted them. But he was right. Without hearing the details, the gestalt ain't worth it. Not in the four digit price range. My 600 dollar Grados - not cheap - as well as the GS3000X, made the Empyreans seem muddled and confused, even if the warm hug of their sound was pleasant in itself. But I wouldn't have tolerated paying good money for concert tickets if the acoustics were as muddled as the Empyreans. And, yeah, I get it: thousands of experienced audio buffs love the Empyreans. I found the Elites to be a big jump in the right direction, while maintaining the tonal pleasantness and spatiality of the Empyreans. But still just MISSING lots of the music.

According to me. And as far as the measurement crowd goes, my own personal ears have not found the better-measuring devices to be more enjoyable or MUSICALLY communicative than the worse-measuring ones more than half the time. Measurements and "objectivity" certainly have their place in engineering; but I'm a psychologist and, by training and bad habit, a philosopher. most of the time, the word "objective" as used, is misunderstood, misapplied, or is simply a competitive or defensive way of saying that one knows better data and knows it without bias. My objective subjectivity - the clean, clear fact that it is ME experiencing a and b, and that some of you will have similar experiences, allows me to say, here's how I experienced it, here's how it made me feel and think.

But no independent data will ever carry more authority than that experience, that phenomenology. What it is like to BE ME, listening to this music through this equipment. The Abyss 1266TC is "objectively" a better set of headphones than the Utopia... until I play music through them and make note of how I feel. And then the Utopia is objectively better, because the pairing of ME + Utopia results in a more fulfilling musical experience much more often than the ME + Abyss1266TC combo. That is an objective fact about my musical subjectivity, which will closely resemble that of many other people. Measurements which do not agree can only do so by referring to an inhuman, non-musical standard which simply will not and cannot have any bearing on a living listener's experience, except to make them wonder whether their own experience is incorrect, whether they should feel and hear differently, defer to the math.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back