Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 9, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #18,542 of 20,634
I was able to do a direct A/B recently and the Arche has a really nice synergy with the Utopias. The Naim had a bit more PRaT, but the Arche is a pretty good package on its own (but without the streaming source inside).
Mostly the streaming source aspect that I would have liked. No complaints here about how they sound together with the Arche. I know many here use the Utopia with the Naim so wouldn't have complaints there either.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #18,543 of 20,634
Sep 9, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #18,544 of 20,634
Here’s a pic of my Naim HE and Focal headphone stand.

Wonderful picture and set-up + surroundings. And that lamp fits perfectly....

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #18,545 of 20,634
Wonderful picture and set-up + surroundings. And that lamp fits perfectly....
Thanks. Got both the lamp and table for free. Even have an old Eames chair my dad gave me for the perfect headphone setup.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #18,546 of 20,634
Cool... waiting for your LOL 🤣
The first rule...stay cool 😎

NOMAX

PS. at minute 1.32 👍 with 95db Hallelujah😇....thats all i say this week

LOL 😉

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #18,547 of 20,634
I was able to do a direct A/B recently and the Arche has a really nice synergy with the Utopias. The Naim had a bit more PRaT, but the Arche is a pretty good package on its own (but without the streaming source inside).
You have to decide - are you an audiophile or a fun listener. Most are fun listeners - the Arche is only for audiophile listeners.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #18,549 of 20,634
You have to decide - are you an audiophile or a fun listener. Most are fun listeners - the Arche is only for audiophile listeners.
I agree with the Naim being more fun. I’m less sure I agree with the Focal/Micromega being more “audiophile” (though not sure what that term means in this context)

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #18,550 of 20,634
I don’t agree with this either. The Focal Arche actually has less resolution than the Naim HE. The Focal Arche is actually a fun listen too with a slightly brighter sound and less bottom weight and texture. It sounds a little bit more open and airy. The Naim HE has better weight, texture, rhythm and sense of space. For extended listening, I always choose the Naim.

Essential they both pair well with the Focal Utopia and bring a smile to your face. The Focal Arche is fun and the Naim HE is even more fun.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #18,551 of 20,634
Pardon my crappy camera skills and sloppy temporary setup. I just got the Naim Unity Atom HE for my Utopias and to drive my Edifier s3000 Pro powered speakers. With the speakers, it's a clear upgrade and sounds amazing. Too early to tell with the Utopia, I already had a pretty great setup as it was (rme adi-2 on linear power supply and a liquid platinum amp).

The rme setup is moving to my office, but initial impressions are that the RME is cleaner sounding and more resolving. Might just take a while to adjust to the Atom. Keeping it even if I prefer the rme sound, simply for the convenience of having all-in-one set up and a remote from the couch to control it all.

Attachments

• 20220910_204124.jpg
    20220910_204124.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220910_210558.jpg
    20220910_210558.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #18,552 of 20,634
Pardon my crappy camera skills and sloppy temporary setup. I just got the Naim Unity Atom HE for my Utopias and to drive my Edifier s3000 Pro powered speakers. With the speakers, it's a clear upgrade and sounds amazing. Too early to tell with the Utopia, I already had a pretty great setup as it was (rme adi-2 on linear power supply and a liquid platinum amp).

The rme setup is moving to my office, but initial impressions are that the RME is cleaner sounding and more resolving. Might just take a while to adjust to the Atom. Keeping it even if I prefer the rme sound, simply for the convenience of having all-in-one set up and a remote from the couch to control it all.
2 things with the Naim HE. It takes about a week or more of continuous playing to break in. And 2, It will never be the most resolving setup. Excels in pace, rhythm, weight and texture. Think you’ll find that over extended listening sessions, it’s sounds pretty great. Doing quick back and forth, the brighter, more detailed setups will always catch your attention but can be more fatiguing over time and thinner sounding.

And it has better low level resolution than what I remember on my Chord Dave/mscaler. Certain bass note and sounds I don’t remember hearing when I had that setup. I never did a side by side, so can’t be 100% sure this is the case.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #18,553 of 20,634
Sep 14, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #18,554 of 20,634
Enjoying the Utopia's on the Trafomatic Head 2. I've never heard the Utopia's sound this open and expansive with such sub bass thump. The paring is brilliant together.

IMG_2194.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back