Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #18,526 of 20,635
Sep 2, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #18,527 of 20,635
I originally had Chord Dave, mscaler, a streamer, battery pack, all kinds of cables, multiple remotes, and headache if I ever had to move it. It also wouldn’t have fit where my setup is now. The Naim HE pretty much fits anywhere with room for the headphone stand as well. Plus wireless is excellent.

The view is downtown San Diego.

6C876B01-A968-4379-B03B-9B25D796EB1B.jpeg
Thanks again. Just went to my local Focal/Naim store and ordered the stand (with a bit of a discount). Love the clean look.

The Room FSPro will stay around for my HD800 in a different setup.

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #18,528 of 20,635
@Sajid Amit your YT video inspired me to plug-in my HD600 and give them a listen on my TT2. It didn’t even cross my mind until I saw your video, I just figured why even bother I know it’s not going to sound any good.

Boy was I wrong. The HD600 sound great! I’m afraid to put the Utopia back on, I’m afraid they won’t sound 500% better. Goes to show how much we pay for that extra margin. Utopias are still better overall, but a hot dog at a ballgame can give me just as much pleasure as a Michelin star meal - salt, fat, sugar $2 or $200 there’s a max pleasure we can take in for any sensory experience - how much of the cost is just vanity?

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #18,529 of 20,635
I'm thinking to pair Utopia with Topping A90 Discrete and Topping D90LE, does anyone here could give me some feedback about the sound of this combo, thankyou.
I'm between Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Topping A90D, with A90D I could use my IEMs in 4.4mm output.

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #18,530 of 20,635
I'm thinking to pair Utopia with Topping A90 Discrete and Topping D90LE, does anyone here could give me some feedback about the sound of this combo, thankyou.
I'm between Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Topping A90D, with A90D I could use my IEMs in 4.4mm output.
I have an older A90/D90 stack and the sound with the Utopias is almost spectacular. It's clean, detailed, dynamic, but a teeny tiny bit sterile. According to reviews the A90D is more organic and spacious sounding than the A90 -- possibly akin to a Class A SS amp? If that's the case, the Topping stack would be killer. In my case, I added a cheapo Xduoo MT-604 and use the A90 as pre and the sound is indeed spectacular. It compares favorably to multi thousand dollar tube rigs and all-in-ones. Have not heard the Ferrum, but suspect you would have a winner with the newer Topping gear.

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #18,531 of 20,635
I've owned the A90 and sold it. I'm pretty confident saying Ferrum Oor+Hypsos is a league above A90 or A90d. I'm sure Utopia would be "fine" on either, but remember Utopia is widely known to be very revealing of your chain and to scale with better amplification. Ferrum is in a whole other class beyond Topping.

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #18,532 of 20,635
I've owned the A90 and sold it. I'm pretty confident saying Ferrum Oor+Hypsos is a league above A90 or A90d. I'm sure Utopia would be "fine" on either, but remember Utopia is widely known to be very revealing of your chain and to scale with better amplification. Ferrum is in a whole other class beyond Topping.
+1. I’ve recently been through my own amp discovery journey for my Utopia, and the impact of different amps was amazing.

The Utopias already sound great even on my Chord Mojo 2 portable setup; but give it a proper amp and it truly shines.

I ended up buying the Naim Uniti HE as the best all in one setup - no other source needed any more, plus very clean looks, and did I mention PRaT?. But I was quite close to buying a €7K tube amp which was clearly another step from the Naim.

I’m sure the Topping is great per se, but make sure you check out what else is possible before you settle.

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #18,533 of 20,635
I personally think the Utopias give a very false sense of a good amp. Pretty much everything sounds good with Utopias. But it is the Utopias, not the amp. Give the Utopias gear equal to it's caliber, and then you see how good they are. But even on mediocre gear, you think you have "good enough". That is what I thought... of all 3.. no 4 changes in gear. The last one was end game, and took them to a whole other level. Utopias on mediocre gear is a waste of money on Utopias. Originally I was going to get the Mg Clears... And with my Matrix mini, and Naim Atom (Non HE)... it would have been a perfect match, and I doubt I would have kept looking... I just had a nagging feeling I was not getting the most out of my money in my Utopias.... that is an understatement. I did not stop listening for 3 days when I got my amp. Not everyone will go tubes, I get it.... but then I swapped to really good NOS telefunken, RCAs, then Mazdas... just unreal. Unreal that the Utopias seem to have no ceiling. At this point I think my Pontus 2 is the limiting factor... but I am done... especially chasing more DACs... maybe... Maybe the same can be said for all the TOTL headphones. I don't know, I only have these. And need no others. The only thing I dream of in the future is a pair of B&W 805s... or a true 3-way mini... and I will call it good. I really love what small drivers can do, and no longer need a wall of speakers. One day...

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #18,534 of 20,635
A90D + D90SE is one of the most formidable set up for the price, really hard to beat. However for Utopia, i would cough a little more to get Singxer instead for the amp. Singxer is a little cleaner with more spacious soundstage than A90D.

The regular A90 may sound sterile, but not for A90D and Singxer.

Ferrum+Oor is definitely upgrade from them. Personally I would pay more attention with DAC quality when we talk about TOTL Set-up though.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #18,535 of 20,635
Thanks again. Just went to my local Focal/Naim store and ordered the stand (with a bit of a discount). Love the clean look.

The Room FSPro will stay around for my HD800 in a different setup.
Just received the stand. Very happy with the looks. Never had a cleaner looking (and better sounding) HiFi setup in my entire life.

Attachments

• F5C18AB2-DAAB-46B7-B2D4-5BA8D1F74F86.jpeg
    F5C18AB2-DAAB-46B7-B2D4-5BA8D1F74F86.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #18,536 of 20,635
Just received the stand. Very happy with the looks. Never had a cleaner looking (and better sounding) HiFi setup in my entire life.
Is it just me, but when it looks so good, it makes it sound better too? It’s kind of like food. Presentation matters.

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #18,537 of 20,635
Is it just me, but when it looks so good, it makes it sound better too? It’s kind of like food. Presentation matters.
Agree, that’s a key reason I got the Naim over the more expensive tube multi box setup.

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #18,539 of 20,635
Anybody with insight on this? @Nomax ?

1662684125231.png

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #18,540 of 20,635
If it existed around the same time I got my Focal Arche I would've gone for it too
I was able to do a direct A/B recently and the Arche has a really nice synergy with the Utopias. The Naim had a bit more PRaT, but the Arche is a pretty good package on its own (but without the streaming source inside).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back