Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 29, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #18,496 of 20,796
I treat every post about goopy pads as a reminder to check mine. Still no goop here. After 5+ years … knock on wood.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #18,497 of 20,796
Ugh.

Let's all keep a lookout with this upcoming September Utopia update to see whether the flat underside of the pads uses the same flawed material or not... :/
Pad inner surface breakdown was supposedly fixed with later iterations of the Utopia, so hopefully will not be an issue for the Utopia 'Mk2'.

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #18,499 of 20,796
What are considered to be the "later iterations"?
Yeah not sure on that. When the issue reared its head, some 2 years back(?), Focal acknowledged there was a problem and I believe (maybe already then) changed the formulation of the treatment on the inner surface of the pads.
I bought my Utopias in 2016, they are an early 5XX serial.

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #18,500 of 20,796
At the risk of stating something that might be obvious to some, I would suggest that it is very worthwhile trying the Utopia using a balanced connection if you have that capability. I bought my Utopia a few years ago primarily because they were easy to drive. They were also fairly comfortable and I liked the sound of course but, having chosen Susvara as my main set, I found that I needed something that was more compatible with other kit, so being easy to drive was a primary requirement. All of my prior experience to that point had been with my main speaker system and, apart from an old pair of HD800, I was totally inexperienced with headphones and really did think it was that simple! The Susvara was a rude awakening to the issues of compatibility and synergy.

I generally liked the Utopia, but I always thought they sounded only ‘ok’ and one major negative aspect was that I found they could become fatiguing which I put down to the dynamic drivers punching my eardrums. I am sensitive to harsh high end in particular.

Anyway, in upgrading my main speaker system earlier this year, I found a new combination that completely elevated the performance of the Utopia to the extent that I now fully understand why they are so highly regarded. In particular, and this is the point of my post, when comparing SE vs balanced, I discovered that the higher end of the frequency spectrum was far better controlled using a balanced connection which results in a richer, more relaxed presentation which I no longer find fatiguing, even whilst listening for extended periods and I can strongly recommend trying this. You might find, like I have, that your Utopia are actually much better than you have been giving them credit.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #18,501 of 20,796
Yeah not sure on that. When the issue reared its head, some 2 years back(?), Focal acknowledged there was a problem and I believe (maybe already then) changed the formulation of the treatment on the inner surface of the pads.
I bought my Utopias in 2016, they are an early 5XX serial.
I don't recall reading if you had an issue with the glue seeping out of your pads, did you?
I purchased my Utopia BNIB mid-2018 and have not have any issues with them whatsoever.

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #18,502 of 20,796
I don't recall reading if you had an issue with the glue seeping out of your pads, did you?
I purchased my Utopia BNIB mid-2018 and have not have any issues with them whatsoever.
As mentioned a few posts above, I did:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-17118913
Also here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-15974990
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-16544312

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #18,503 of 20,796
Decided to check mine, based on reading this. Sure enough, there was a lot of melted glue on both pads. I was able to wipe most of it off, but the flat surface remained quite sticky. In October, my Utopias will be 5 years old. I don't swap pads, but I did remove them once before to check the serial number. Guess I will order some new pads.

To be honest, I am not surprised that this has happened. I live in a hot, humid climate that tends to be a killer for rubber surrounds on European speakers and for headphone pads. I have had seinheiser, grado and bose headphones in the house, where the pads could not last more than 1-2 years. I was hopeful that the leather pads on the utopias were different and would last "forever", but seems not to be. I don't want to think about what else in the Utopias might be held together with glue.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #18,504 of 20,796
Quick question y’all. I’m planning on getting one of the ROOMs headphone stands for my Utopias. There’s an A and a B size. Anybody know which model is the best fit for the Utopia?

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #18,506 of 20,796
Quick question y’all. I’m planning on getting one of the ROOMs headphone stands for my Utopias. There’s an A and a B size. Anybody know which model is the best fit for the Utopia?
I have the regular (A) type for my Utopias and it works ok. See pic below.

That said, the slightly larger B size may actually look and fit even better. I must admit I didn’t check before ordering.

While we are on the topic of stands, does anybody have experience with the original Focal stand? Thinking of getting it for the looks.

Attachments

• EAD56B07-1048-414E-BB14-3D270355761D.jpeg
    EAD56B07-1048-414E-BB14-3D270355761D.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #18,507 of 20,796
While we are on the topic of stands, does anybody have experience with the original Focal stand? Thinking of getting it for the looks.
Nice looking stand, but expensive for what it is...

FocalHeadphoneStand.jpg

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #18,508 of 20,796
I have the regular (A) type for my Utopias and it works ok. See pic below.

That said, the slightly larger B size may actually look and fit even better. I must admit I didn’t check before ordering.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Sep 1, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #18,509 of 20,796
Nice looking stand, but expensive for what it is...

FocalHeadphoneStand.jpg
Looks pretty cool, thanks, and more in-line design wise with my new Naim HE. Any downsides besides the ridiculous price point?

Sep 1, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #18,510 of 20,796
Looks pretty cool, thanks, and more in-line design wise with my new Naim HE. Any downsides besides the ridiculous price point?
It's well-made and well-balanced, but the edges of the metal support are rather sharp. When resting the soft leather headband on the metal support, I take care not to scrape the leather against that sharp edge. Not a big deal, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back