Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 5, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #15,901 of 20,544
@BassicScience
Being you had the original ear pads for 4yrs, I would think that the new ear pads would've made the most noticeable change to what you're hearing and the way they feel to your Utopia now.
Possibly, although I did press inward on the Utopia ear cups while listening tonight and the soundstage got smaller, so I think the clamping force is a definite factor. The original ear pads were not returned to me, so I can't test out your theory.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #15,902 of 20,544
Possibly, although I did press inward on the Utopia ear cups while listening tonight and the soundstage got smaller, so I think the clamping force is a definite factor. The original ear pads were not returned to me, so I can't test out your theory.
I can't speak to the changes in Utopia pads, my Utopia pads developed that sticky breakdown on the inside surface that contacts the headphones.
I've replaced them for the moment with the $60 Elex pads being offered at Drop. I actually like the sound of the Elex pads more than the leather Utopia pads - better balanced and more engaging (even though they measure very close to each other).
Just now I checked with the old Utopia pads and the new Elex pads are a little firmer in the cushion.
Not sure if dealers in Australia honour the extended 5yr warranty for sticky pad syndrome, but think I'll contact my dealer to find out.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #15,903 of 20,544
As mentioned above, I will be checking with Focal and/or Source AV at CanJam, if not sooner. Just wanted to see if anyone on HeadFi had any pertinent information in the meantime. The fact that I got complimentary ear pads did make me wonder if they were updated at some point to modify the sound of the headphones. Or perhaps it was just a goodwill gesture on the part of Focal. I'll definitely report back with whatever info I do receive.
I have had the same experience with my pair of Utopias after purchasing new pads from Focal. The soundstage got a bit larger, bass increased slightly etc. My old pads got pretty soft and flabby so I decided to buy new ones from Focal. I've never had any driver issues and the headphones don't feel like they will fall off if I lean my head back or forward but the new pads are stiffer and sit a bit farther from my ears so that could be what is making the sound different to you.

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #15,907 of 20,544
I already own a Susvara and TC.

Would the Utopia bring anything different to the table?

Yep. A fuss free (in terms of amplification), comfortable headphone with an overall enjoyable and generally agreeable, detailed yet inoffensive presentation. I find the imaging, placement and layering easier to appreciate than my susvara and TC.

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #15,908 of 20,544
Pressing in on the cups would make the pads flatter, so this is exactly why I believe the pads have everything to do with your new experience.
I should actually change my pads because they're almost as old as yours and I feel that my Utopia used to have more authoritative bass slam as well as a wider and higher sound staging.

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #15,909 of 20,544
Pressing in on the cups would make the pads flatter, so this is exactly why I believe the pads have everything to do with your new experience.
I should actually change my pads because they're almost as old as yours and I feel that my Utopia used to have more authoritative bass slam as well as a wider and higher sound staging.
Cost of new pads now?

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #15,911 of 20,544
I already own a Susvara and TC.

Would the Utopia bring anything different to the table?
I'm in the same situation and thinking to add the utopia next as well

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #15,912 of 20,544
I'm in the same situation and thinking to add the utopia next as well
You should, they are a totally different listening experience from the TC's and Susvara's. Best part is you can listen to them straight out of the Dave.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #15,913 of 20,544
You should, they are a totally different listening experience from the TC's and Susvara's. Best part is you can listen to them straight out of the Dave.
This is one of the reasons why I want them. Heard the pairing is amazing :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #15,914 of 20,544
This is one of the reasons why I want them. Heard the pairing is amazing :beyersmile:
It is. The Utopia's along with the LCD-4z's are spectacular out of the Dave.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #15,915 of 20,544
I can't speak to the changes in Utopia pads, my Utopia pads developed that sticky breakdown on the inside surface that contacts the headphones.
I've replaced them for the moment with the $60 Elex pads being offered at Drop. I actually like the sound of the Elex pads more than the leather Utopia pads - better balanced and more engaging (even though they measure very close to each other).
Just now I checked with the old Utopia pads and the new Elex pads are a little firmer in the cushion.
Not sure if dealers in Australia honour the extended 5yr warranty for sticky pad syndrome, but think I'll contact my dealer to find out.
Thanks for the info, as you may have solved the mystery of why I got new ear pads. Before I sent the Utopias back for service, I decided to remove the ear pad (for the first time ever) over the faulty driver just to see if there was any obvious problem like a loose wire, etc. I didn't see any visual evidence of a problem, but there was a fair amount of clear, sticky "gunk" between the ear pad and the ear cup frame. I (naively) assumed this was applied by Focal, possibly to prevent acoustic leakage or keep the ear pad firmly installed. But I guess it is just a compound that seeps out of the ear pad over time based on your comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back