Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #18,316 of 20,634
Ouch, $5000.
New connector seems to be curved more forward perhaps for reason, old model is rather close touching collarbone area specially if turning head and its placed more upper position than new.

Content was removed in response to a copyright claim by a third party.

Wild guess would be smoothing down peak around 6k

I got mine to clip but had to push like 95-100 dB bassy track and it was so painfully loud that could bear that for couple of seconds.

I only managed to get my Focal Clears to clip. Never done it on the Utopia.

But I was really doing crazy s-hit to make the Focal Clear clip, which was doing a huge EQ bass boost and turning the volume to ear deafening levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #18,317 of 20,634
I’m not ready to jump to the conclusion that the changes to the voice coil will
Improve SQ. “More reliable” may require sacrificing some of the SQ delivered by the original design as I assume there is a reason for the design of the OG voice coil.

My level of interest TBD on getting a long term evaluation, not show reports from a 5 minute session at a noisy show floor

YMMV

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #18,318 of 20,634
I’m not ready to jump to the conclusion that the changes to the voice coil will
Improve SQ. “More reliable” may require sacrificing some of the SQ delivered by the original design as I assume there is a reason for the design of the OG voice coil.

My level of interest TBD on getting a long term evaluation, not show reports from a 5 minute session at a noisy show floor

YMMV
Perhaps (wishful thinking) a vendor would be willing to set up a tour of these so we can get a week or so with them. One can hope.

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #18,319 of 20,634
Perhaps (wishful thinking) a vendor would be willing to set up a tour of these so we can get a week or so with them. One can hope.

That would be great, but I doubt it will happen unless demand for the new version is low

I’m fortunate to have a B&M store where I’m a long time customer, so will be able to borrow their demo pair for a long weekend at minimum

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #18,320 of 20,634
@KelFab Black lemo connectors are not readily available, of course Focal could place a large custom order but I'm guessing they chose silver because of lead-time.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #18,321 of 20,634
That would be great, but I doubt it will happen unless demand for the new version is low

I’m fortunate to have a B&M store where I’m a long time customer, so will be able to borrow their demo pair for a long weekend at minimum
I could see demand being quite low, based on the responses here. I've read a preorder cancelled, skepticism that it's a money grab, a quality control improvement, a cosmetic refresh, etc. rather than what matters - the sound.

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #18,323 of 20,634
I could see demand being quite low, based on the responses here. I've read a preorder cancelled, skepticism that it's a money grab, a quality control improvement, a cosmetic refresh, etc. rather than what matters - the sound.

I don’t think the concerns here are representative of Focal’s larger market. One preorder cancellation doesn’t move the needle either way for me

I certainly don’t see this as a money grab given the length of time between the OG and this release. It seems to be more of an iterative release and mild refresh. Given the use of the same name, I suspect SQ changes will be minor at best.

Other than OG owners who are compelled to always have the”latest/greatest, I question if there will be a compelling reason to upgrade. I won’t likely upgrade based on what information is currently available as I doubt there can be major SQ upgrades without a more significant overhaul of the design

For me, a small amount of EQ for bass gets the Utopia where I want it to be.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #18,325 of 20,634
The phase one when a new successor Headphones appears … is mostly general restraint .
But wait until phase two entries , …🤣

This comes when the Headphone is available and there are some positive reports .

I’m sure there will be overly exuberant reports. Happens with every TOTL upgrade and new release. That’s why I’d prefer to listen on my system with the OG in hand to compare. I’m going to need some fairly compelling improvement to consider taking a hit of around $2500 to sell my OG and buy this version

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #18,327 of 20,634
I’m sure there will be overly exuberant reports. Happens with every TOTL upgrade and new release. That’s why I’d prefer to listen on my system with the OG in hand to compare. I’m going to need some fairly compelling improvement to consider taking a hit of around $2500 to sell my OG and buy this version

You are going to have paid reviews by Youtubers, magazines and websites soon.

I bet they all have received a few talking points on what they need to say in their “review”.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #18,328 of 20,634

Like what happened with the LCD-5 you mean? The fallout was amusing, at one point of time there were like 10 used sets up for sale in the classifieds. 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back