Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 6, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #18,332 of 20,644
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #18,333 of 20,644
and "a bit" more expensive than the headphones :relaxed:

... 220 000 € here for a pair :sweat_smile:
They are truly amazing though. Had the pleasure to test them out the other day.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #18,334 of 20,644
Ouch, $5000.

I only managed to get my Focal Clears to clip. Never done it on the Utopia.

But I was really doing crazy s-hit to make the Focal Clear clip, which was doing a huge EQ bass boost and turning the volume to ear deafening levels.
Yeh, actually re-checked levels with soundmeter and seems like it was more towards ~105dB+ with lot of bass in song so clipping volumes will turn you deaf.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #18,335 of 20,644
Ok, in it's entirety (minus specific details that might jeopardize my source):
Content was removed in response to a copyright claim by a third party.
Thanks for posting more info!

Is clipping an issue with ALL OG Utopias?

Oddly enough, haven't had any clipping with mine and I listen a little louder than I shamedly should admit to 🤷‍♂️
No one ever tried every single Utopia in current market. So far I have heard perhaps 8-10 pcs of Utopia, all of them suffer from the same clip problem. I don't know whether the latest release of Utopia (perhaps 2021 onward) still suffer from this problem or not.

Right now I'm listening to Swedish House Mafia's new album on TT2 @ 47 high gain (guessing around 80db with peaks of 85-87) and there's no clipping. I've never heard it clip.

New connector seems to be curved more forward perhaps for reason, old model is rather close touching collarbone area specially if turning head and its placed more upper position than new.

Content was removed in response to a copyright claim by a third party.

Wild guess would be smoothing down peak around 6k

I got mine to clip but had to push like 95-100 dB bassy track and it was so painfully loud that could bear that for couple of seconds.

I have NEVER heard Utopia clip. I previously had an Elex, and it totally clipped. At just-barely-louder-than-normal volume. But Utopia? Never.

The easiest way to trigger the clip is using bass test like this

Just wear the headphone, raising the volume slowly till the clip start (or perhaps not happening with your Utopia, I don't know). I have tried this kind of track to Elear, Elex, Clear, Clear MG, Utopia and all of them produce the clip easily. Only Stellia that doesn't produce clip problem.

I bet the $5K Utopia suppose to be able to avoid the problem as well (based on Stellia).

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #18,336 of 20,644

No one ever tried every single Utopia in current market. So far I have heard perhaps 8-10 pcs of Utopia, all of them suffer from the same clip problem. I don't know whether the latest release of Utopia (perhaps 2021 onward) still suffer from this problem or not.

Just wear the headphone, raising the volume slowly till the clip start (or perhaps not happening with your Utopia, I don't know). I have tried this kind of track to Elear, Elex, Clear, Clear MG, Utopia and all of them produce the clip easily. Only Stellia that doesn't produce clip problem.

I bet the $5K Utopia suppose to be able to avoid the problem as well (based on Stellia).

Any headphone will eventually clip. In 4 years of ownership, I’ve never experienced clipping, even when listening to bass heavy music at high (but not deafness inducing) volume

The fact that people are posting certain examples that need to be played back beyond reasonable listening levels doesn’t indicate (to me) a design flaw

I’m sure that if you play a constant 24hz wave and keep turning up the volume, the new Utopia will eventually clip or bottom out the driver. Since that isn’t part of my evaluation or day to day listening, it doesn’t concer me.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #18,337 of 20,644
They are truly amazing though. Had the pleasure to test them out the other day.

I actually did a funny test. I took all the TOTL headphones, including $50.000 ones (like the Hifiman Shrang-La or whatever it is called), Hifiman Susvara on Hifiman their own $14.000 headphone amplifier, SR-009 on Stax their own TOTL amplifier, and so …. and compared to the TOTL Focal Utopia speakers.

All I can say is, all TOTL headphones sounds like toys in the end.

Which is why I won’t spend on headphone beyond the OG Utopia headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #18,338 of 20,644
I actually did a funny test. I took all the TOTL headphones, including $50.000 ones (like the Hifiman Shrang-La or whatever it is called), Hifiman Susvara on Hifiman their own $14.000 headphone amplifier, SR-009 on Stax their own TOTL amplifier, and so …. and compared to the TOTL Focal Utopia speakers.

As it should. It would be terrifying to pay TOTL speaker prices only to have a TOTL headphone beat it. Apples & Oranges 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #18,339 of 20,644

You don't need TOTL speakers to make Utopia sound like a toy. $1000 is enough.

But headphone do have that wonderful intimacy and privacy that you can't really define. There's something awesome about that. So sometimes Id rather listen to headphones even if speakers are availble, if the mood requires.

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #18,341 of 20,644
You don't need TOTL speakers to make Utopia sound like a toy. $1000 is enough.

But headphone do have that wonderful intimacy and privacy that you can't really define. There's something awesome about that. So sometimes Id rather listen to headphones even if speakers are availble, if the mood requires.

I don’t agree, before having bought the Utopia I was happy with my hifi setup (a modest $7000 setup with Tannoy floorstanding speakers), but the first time I switched from utopia to hifi just after I was shocked finding my hifi veiled and lacking dynamism compared to the utopia just before. Sure there’s more space, soundstage and physical impact with the hifi setup but less clarity, dynamic, details and finesse. It’s a completely different experience in fact.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #18,342 of 20,644
I don’t agree, before having bought the Utopia I was happy with my hifi setup (a modest $7000 setup with Tannoy floorstanding speakers), but the first time I switched from utopia to hifi just after I was shocked finding my hifi veiled and lacking dynamism compared to the utopia just before. Sure there’s more space, soundstage and physical impact with the hifi setup but less clarity, dynamic, details and finesse. It’s a completely different experience in fact.
That seems odd. Generally the fewer engineering constraints the better the sound. For instance open back headphones remove one big engineering constraint and thus sound improves measurably.

However headphones still have some big constraints. Geometry and driver size. Speakers eliminate these constraints, or at least expand them hugely, so from an engineering perspective you can do a lot more. I'm not doubting your experience, but generally people will prefer the sound from speakers for these reasons, in a well treated room anyway.

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #18,343 of 20,644
That seems odd. Generally the fewer engineering constraints the better the sound. For instance open back headphones remove one big engineering constraint and thus sound improves measurably.

However headphones still have some big constraints. Geometry and driver size. Speakers eliminate these constraints, or at least expand them hugely, so from an engineering perspective you can do a lot more. I'm not doubting your experience, but generally people will prefer the sound from speakers for these reasons, in a well treated room anyway.
I don't think many will contest to your findings. Like I stated previously, apples & oranges. Very different experiences such as comparing a concert to speakers at home. There's a market for everyone's preference. It comes down to the experience you're after.

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #18,344 of 20,644
It’s not all about size, I think the Beryllium dome, the fine tuning of the utopia and his ability to be easily driven are big parts of the reasons for the differences I experienced.
I think it probably would require a more high end hifi setup to compete with my headphone setup regarding the points I spotted (clarity, dynamics, details and finesse), at least for my ears, and I’m already 7x above $1000.
But as always YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #18,345 of 20,644

What shouldn't be forgotten with clipping is the effect that DC offset from the amp would have. It would only take a few mV to cut headroom in one excursion direction by tens of decibels. Would dramatically change the volume at which clipping becomes apparent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back