Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 7, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #17,746 of 20,634
Has anyone tried putting the ZMF co-pilot pads on the Utopia? Do they fit?
You mean the headband pad, right?

I've got one on my Auteur -- I'll try it with Utopia tonight and report back.

Jun 7, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #17,747 of 20,634
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #17,748 of 20,634
Occasionally I think about the fact that basically all the live music we hear is produced by dynamic speakers. Would our sense of what sounds ‘natural’ change if venues or bands used planar speakers in concert instead?

100%. Actual "natural" (i.e. not amplified) live music is exceedingly rare and not a standard most people are at all familiar with. "Natural" in this context most of the time means "like dynamic horn speakers".

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #17,750 of 20,634
100%. Actual "natural" (i.e. not amplified) live music is exceedingly rare and not a standard most people are at all familiar with. "Natural" in this context most of the time means "like dynamic horn speakers".
Yep, that's what I was getting at.

So, would our sense of what sounds 'natural' change if 'live' music was produced by planar speakers vs dynamic as is almost universal at this point?

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #17,751 of 20,634
IMG_20220609_185618.jpg
Esoteric N-05XD in the house for Utopia pairing. This all in one streaming DAC really nailled it. Really high quality R2R DAC architecture from Esoteric that is trickled down from their flag ship. Though the XLR output does not have tones of power compared to the Ferrum Stack, it has just the right amout for the Utopia for great control and dynamic sound.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #17,752 of 20,634
Unless you go to classical music concerts!

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #17,753 of 20,634
Jun 10, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #17,754 of 20,634
Lots of speakers in large concert halls.
Maybe on the Oregon Coast? I must have missed those when I drove all the way up that coast ? Beautiful drive though!
But During all of my very long and mostly musically very rewarding concert going experiences I have only been to ONE single indoor concert where a Symphony Orchestra was amplified and ruined by speakers and amplification.

But I will never forget the experience,it was absolutely HORRIBLE !

And to make things even worse it was not any Orchestra, but, the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra on Tour in Sweden many years ago. But instead of using the truly excellent Concert Hall in Gothenburg they performed in a huge Sports Arena!
But in their defence I have to admit that even that huge Sports Arena was sold out!
Luckily I have also heard that Orchestra live both in Salzburg and Vienna.

What you say about speakers in halls is THE RULE with POP Music yes.
But luckily VERY rare with real Classical Music performances. I know of no Concert Hall where they do so with acoustic music.
I have been to many,many GREAT Halls in many countries of the World, including the United States.

Absolutely NO speakers used in the good Hall where I have heard the New York Philharmonic live to mention just one hall there.
And to mention a really BIG Hall where I have been many times,The Royal Albert Hall in London, does definitely NOT ruin things with amping and speakers during the BBC Proms with acoustic music.
There are speakers for POP concerts even there, but they are turned OFF both there and in all other real Concert Halls I know of when the Symphony Concert begins.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #17,757 of 20,634
Jun 11, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #17,758 of 20,634
@tradyblix

Wait…So Focal will not repair your headphones on your dime because you bought them grey market? Or they won’t warranty them? Makes sense if they won’t warranty but I’ve never heard of a brand that would not repair at the customers cost.

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #17,760 of 20,634
@tradyblix

Wait…So Focal will not repair your headphones on your dime because you bought them grey market? Or they won’t warranty them? Makes sense if they won’t warranty but I’ve never heard of a brand that would not repair at the customers cost.

They're not under any kind of warranty. they're 5 years old. They require you to go to a dealer and have the dealer get authorization for repairs. I'm sure replacing a driver is probably in the several hundreds at least to low thousands for that headphone, even if I could get them to do it, which I can't. If you can't do that, then you are SOL. That's why there is always a risk and why things are cheaper on ebay new because of this.

Not every manufacturer has this issue, but they are like that. That's why I try to buy direct from the manufacturer store from now on, unless I can't (like in the case of the Utopias where I am not paying 5000 dollars for them but much less) so that I have proof of purchase and they'll deal with me. It's essentially the same thing as when you buy a used headphone, because you're not paying the manufacturer, they don't want to deal with you. Cuts down on pesky repairs due to damage.

My Aryas will be much better supported because of this. And also because Hifiman is a bit better about repairs.

I knew there would be this risk. I was just hoping I could get at least 10 years out of them. I bet many people will. Some percentage of any equipment with moving parts will fail, and sometimes you come up unlucky. (sometimes you don't).

There's still a chance it's just a wire or electronic issue and an easy fix, but yeah, I've moved on already.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back