Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #17,731 of 20,667
I just wanted to make a post about my Utopia's (2017-2022).

Left driver failed. Not sure why, I had not used them in a long time (maybe a couple months) and it was just dead. There wasn't any cause AFAIK. It may even be easily fixable, I might try to find someone with some know how and see if I can fix it at some point.

I'm at peace with it - Empyrean had kind of replaced the Utopias as my daily drivers for a long while, since at least 2019, and when I would go back, although I would appreciate the Utopia's qualities, I didn't find myself enjoying them as much. Utopias replaced my previous HD800 cans. I am still sometimes missing that HD800 soundstage to this very day. (nothing else about them tho lol)

Because I bought them Grey Market, Focal can't help me, and I think this will be my last purchase of Focal Cans - I certainly am glad I never paid close to their retail price because I personally don't think they're worth that. Especially in the 2022 market.

Total Cost of ownership averaged about 500 dollars a year over 5 years which is quite good considering the enjoyment they brought to me.

RIP.

What will be replacing them ? Well, it's a no brainer. At their current 1300 dollar price on Amazon from the official Hifiman store, It will be the Arya Stealth. I think they will be a good alternative to the Empyreans (I'm not really having any issues with the Empys with my current rig, they sound incredible and have maybe only gotten better over time, but I always want a "back-up" or "alternative" pair with a different sound sig. My previous experience means I limited the amount of open back home cans I own at any given time to 2 as I know with more most won't ever be used)

So long, Focal, and thanks for all the fish.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the gray market?

Been hearing of some dealers offering great discounts but haven't got any luck.

If you know where I can get some of these sweet deals let me know 😁

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #17,732 of 20,667

Grey market is in just about everything. It is a non factory authorized dealer selling product. The manufacturer will not honor warranty in many cases because that is how they enforce map pricing. There is also a risk of counterfeit goods. However, there are many reputable grey dealers that sell genuine goods at a considerable discount. It is up to you to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Jun 6, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #17,733 of 20,667
I’d say just to keep your eye out for open box discounts at authorized stores. You can get good discount with full warranty. Other option is buy used but make sure seller had original receipt and still have a few years left on the warranty.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #17,734 of 20,667
I just wanted to make a post about my Utopia's (2017-2022).

Left driver failed. Not sure why, I had not used them in a long time (maybe a couple months) and it was just dead. There wasn't any cause AFAIK. It may even be easily fixable, I might try to find someone with some know how and see if I can fix it at some point.

I'm at peace with it - Empyrean had kind of replaced the Utopias as my daily drivers for a long while, since at least 2019, and when I would go back, although I would appreciate the Utopia's qualities, I didn't find myself enjoying them as much. Utopias replaced my previous HD800 cans. I am still sometimes missing that HD800 soundstage to this very day. (nothing else about them tho lol)

Because I bought them Grey Market, Focal can't help me, and I think this will be my last purchase of Focal Cans - I certainly am glad I never paid close to their retail price because I personally don't think they're worth that. Especially in the 2022 market.

Total Cost of ownership averaged about 500 dollars a year over 5 years which is quite good considering the enjoyment they brought to me.

RIP.

What will be replacing them ? Well, it's a no brainer. At their current 1300 dollar price on Amazon from the official Hifiman store, It will be the Arya Stealth. I think they will be a good alternative to the Empyreans (I'm not really having any issues with the Empys with my current rig, they sound incredible and have maybe only gotten better over time, but I always want a "back-up" or "alternative" pair with a different sound sig. My previous experience means I limited the amount of open back home cans I own at any given time to 2 as I know with more most won't ever be used)

So long, Focal, and thanks for all the fish.
Sorry -- tough to lose an old friend. I'm actually at the very end of my 5-year ownership of Utopia. Still on the original stock pads, and I check for goo fairly frequently. So far no sign of it though -- knock on wood.

I really hate your story though -- no goo, and after not using them for a while, dead driver. I tend to rotate through my cans at a fairly slow rate, and Utopia might go a month or two without much head time. Praying that your story doesn't become my story :)

I think you are headed in the right direction with the Arya Stealth -- should be an excellent compliment for your Empys. Certainly the headstage will be more in the direction of your HD800s -- open and airy vs lush and enveloping -- and significantly larger, though not HD800 big.

I guess my only question comes from your comment about enjoying the Utopia less. If the tonality is a significant part of that, then Arya might give similar results. It's certainly brighter and more detailed than Empy, like Utopia.

I like your bit about cost of ownership per year. I've taken to thinking of my buy-then-sell ownership of various equipment as rentals.

Jun 6, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #17,735 of 20,667
I’d say just to keep your eye out for open box discounts at authorized stores. You can get good discount with full warranty. Other option is buy used but make sure seller had original receipt and still have a few years left on the warranty.
Yes, and it has been my experience, not just audio, that authorized dealers sell new product, with full warranty, as "open box" to say it is used and discount map pricing. One product I bought had factory protection stickers on. It had a mirror finish and there was zero micro scratches anywhere... It had never been handled. Now that's just anecdotal, and dealers certainly sell returned or demoed units as "open box"... Just sayin'.... I have zero issues with buying discounted open box items from reputable dealers and will usually only buy when one is available.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #17,736 of 20,667

Whom did you ask for discounts? Most inner-known dealers operate at 20% off the top. Most also operate within a drop-ship policy. None advertise with Head-Fi or associates as they're all primarily two channel driven.

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #17,738 of 20,667
From March 27
Who knows what France offers us in the future 😉

NOMAX

PS.lol

From May 11
The near time future will be very interesting for all Utopia Fans 😉👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

The Utopia replacement certainly must be out by now. How is everyone liking the new Focal headphone? I don't see much posted in this thread - can someone link me to the new thread about the new Focal flagship? /s

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #17,739 of 20,667
Sorry -- tough to lose an old friend. I'm actually at the very end of my 5-year ownership of Utopia. Still on the original stock pads, and I check for goo fairly frequently. So far no sign of it though -- knock on wood.

I really hate your story though -- no goo, and after not using them for a while, dead driver. I tend to rotate through my cans at a fairly slow rate, and Utopia might go a month or two without much head time. Praying that your story doesn't become my story :)

I think you are headed in the right direction with the Arya Stealth -- should be an excellent compliment for your Empys. Certainly the headstage will be more in the direction of your HD800s -- open and airy vs lush and enveloping -- and significantly larger, though not HD800 big.

I guess my only question comes from your comment about enjoying the Utopia less. If the tonality is a significant part of that, then Arya might give similar results. It's certainly brighter and more detailed than Empy, like Utopia.

I like your bit about cost of ownership per year. I've taken to thinking of my buy-then-sell ownership of various equipment as rentals.

I liked the Utopia's detail and slam and separation/layering quite a bit. I did think it was a little too intimate tho, I missed wider headphones, and I didn't think it paired well with my Hugo2 when I was using the Hugo2 with it's built in amp. It just sometimes got that quality in the highs that occasionally on some tracks, was getting towards uncomfortable for me. It sounded incredible on the TA-ZH1ES, mainly because it was warmer I guess.
Hopefully I like the Arya Stealth, because I know that it might be an issue still, we'll see. I can always return or sell them if I don't end up liking them. I kept the Utopias mainly because I wanted that counterbalance to the Meze's, so I'm hoping i'll enjoy them.

Probably should have sold them earlier, but I would have hated to sell someone a used pair and have it crap out on them.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #17,740 of 20,667
I liked the Utopia's detail and slam and separation/layering quite a bit. I did think it was a little too intimate tho, I missed wider headphones, and I didn't think it paired well with my Hugo2 when I was using the Hugo2 with it's built in amp. It just sometimes got that quality in the highs that occasionally on some tracks, was getting towards uncomfortable for me. It sounded incredible on the TA-ZH1ES, mainly because it was warmer I guess.
Hopefully I like the Arya Stealth, because I know that it might be an issue still, we'll see. I can always return or sell them if I don't end up liking them. I kept the Utopias mainly because I wanted that counterbalance to the Meze's, so I'm hoping i'll enjoy them.

Probably should have sold them earlier, but I would have hated to sell someone a used pair and have it crap out on them.
Yep, I much prefer this system

Hugo2 ==> Romi BX2+ ==> Utopia

vs

Hugo2 ==> Utopia

Hugo2 is great with most of my cans. I really only added the BX2+ when I got my Hedds -- felt like H2 was underpowering them. But then I started trying the H2/BX2+ chain with my other cans, and it was really a winner with Utopia, and also, but to a lesser degree with HEKse.

Of course, purists would say I'm just adding pleasant distortion via the second amp. To which I say ... So?

Cheers!

Jun 7, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #17,742 of 20,667
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #17,745 of 20,667
Has anyone tried putting the ZMF co-pilot pads on the Utopia? Do they fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back