Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 4, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #17,702 of 20,644
Yet still I take Diana TC over LCD-5 10/10 times, similar compact build and price.
LCD-5 with Mitch Barnett's convolution filter smokes everything else IMO. Haven't heard/owned the Diana TC, only the Phi, though.

Granted without EQ / convolution filter, LCD5 isn't my thing. If EQ didn't exist, I'd choose something else.

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #17,704 of 20,644
I don't use EQ so i don't care lol.
This is my thing, I’m trying to find a headphone similar to Utopia in sound, without EQ, but much less heavy overall. This is why I was looking to the Diana series.

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #17,705 of 20,644
Looking at the V2, I figured maybe the TC would have slightly more in the mid bass to come close.
C7895C89-DD4A-403E-927B-7813860C3D00.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #17,706 of 20,644
i've auditioned the diana v2 several times and directly compared it to the utopia on a couple of occasions. the utopia had more tonal saturation or 'meat on the bones' to my ears. and i would take the utopia's comfort over the diana v2's despite its heavier weight.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #17,707 of 20,644
i've auditioned the diana v2 several times and directly compared it to the utopia on a couple of occasions. the utopia had more tonal saturation or 'meat on the bones' to my ears. and i would take the utopia's comfort over the diana v2's despite its heavier weight.
I too was worried about the weight having only used Sennhieser HD800’s. But apart from a week of mild neck discomfort, I can now listen for hours on end. Of course, everyone’s neck is different, just like our ears 😀

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #17,708 of 20,644
Anyone have any impressions of the Diana TC compared to the Utopia?

Both headphone great for clarity, detail, speed, revealing and being transparent.

Utopia is airier, punchier, more lively character and much easier to drive in term of power requirement.

DTC bring singer closer to us (more intimate) with more fluid presentation across entire spectrum.

Need 2 different set up to optimise them.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #17,710 of 20,644
This is my thing, I’m trying to find a headphone similar to Utopia in sound, without EQ, but much less heavy overall. This is why I was looking to the Diana series.
Maybe consider a DCA Stealth (415g) or Aeon 2 Noire (328g)? Both are quite light and comfortable, and have a neutral tuning similar to the Utopia. I actually prefer the Aeon 2 Noire's punchier bass (vs. Stealth), but the Stealth's tuning is more similar to the Utopia's overall. An estat might also fit the bill, but that's a more involved endeavor.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #17,711 of 20,644
Maybe consider a DCA Stealth (415g) or Aeon 2 Noire (328g)? Both are quite light and comfortable, and have a neutral tuning similar to the Utopia. I actually prefer the Aeon 2 Noire's punchier bass (vs. Stealth), but the Stealth's tuning is more similar to the Utopia's overall. An estat might also fit the bill, but that's a more involved endeavor.
I considered the stealth many times, every-time I’m about to purchase, I read another review that calls it “bass lite”, “boring” or “overpriced”. Not to mention the complaints about the headband and the crinkle noises in ear cups.

It’s tough to buy items without testing them first, unfortunately, unless I travel 2 hours by train, I can’t hear any of these headphones. Amazon is my best chance, but because I bought 2 headphones in a row at high dollar value and returned (Utopia, too heavy and headphones fall when moving head forward and Z1R, to honky), they sent me a warning email about returns. So there goes that.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #17,712 of 20,644
I considered the stealth many times, every-time I’m about to purchase, I read another review that calls it “bass lite”, “boring” or “overpriced”. Not to mention the complaints about the headband and the crinkle noises in ear cups.

It’s tough to buy items without testing them first, unfortunately, unless I travel 2 hours by train, I can’t hear any of these headphones. Amazon is my best chance, but because I bought 2 headphones in a row at high dollar value and returned (Utopia, too heavy and headphones fall when moving head forward and Z1R, to honky), they sent me a warning email about returns. So there goes that.

Two hours isn't that far lol, just take the time and go audition.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #17,713 of 20,644

As I said, I prefer the tuning of the DCA Aeon 2 Noire over the Stealth, and I consider it one of the greatest values in a headphone available today. DCA has a 15-day return policy with a 5% restocking fee, so you're looking at $45 plus return shipping if you audition and then return them. I used to own the Utopia, and really like their sound. The DCA Aeon 2 Noire isn't quite as good technically, but it does have a reasonably similar tonal profile. It has nice bass weight/impact, but isn't quite as punchy as a Utopia. But for under $1k and weighing only 328g, it's a seriously excellent headphone, IMO.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #17,714 of 20,644
Anyone have any impressions of the Diana TC compared to the Utopia?
The DTC needs hi-end amplification to show its full potential (the more the better), the Utopia does not.
On my Ferrum Oor amplifier that delivers a nominal 8W into 60Ω (DTC is 32Ω) balanced out, i use high gain and volume is mostly between 9 and 2 o'clock. With the Utopia i use medium gain with volume between 8 and 12 o'clock.
The DTC wins in detail and speed, bass is not as snappy but still very good once the source chain is up to spec.
The DTC is more intimate but never shouty - and it can also be much more refined and detailed with certain tracks.
I have and love both; if someone would put a gun to my head and force me to choose I would keep the DTC but miss the Utopia a lot as a perfect every-day all-rounder (and best dynamic driver imho) pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #17,715 of 20,644

Users who are viewing this thread

Back