Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 11, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #17,761 of 20,736
I don’t remember exactly but people have mentioned in this thread the cost for new drivers and it’s not cheap probably around $1,000. However, I have never heard of anyone being turned down and I think it’s safe to say many people don’t have an original receipt - so I think you should have no problem getting yours repaired.

Jun 11, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #17,762 of 20,736
I don’t remember exactly but people have mentioned in this thread the cost for new drivers and it’s not cheap probably around $1,000. However, I have never heard of anyone being turned down and I think it’s safe to say many people don’t have an original receipt - so I think you should have no problem getting yours repaired.

I tried, that's what happens when you go to focal. They require a dealer. I do not have a dealer.

"WHAT IS THE WARRANTY FOR THE PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM A FOCAL AUTHORISED DEALER ?
For any repair or replacement request, please contact your dealer. He will contact Focal after-sales service to establish a diagnosis and a potential quote."

I contacted them directly, we'll see what they say, but it might not be worth going through honestly.

It's all good. I am glad I got a chance to checkout Utopias, but I'm happy with what I have now.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #17,763 of 20,736
Dealers handle support requests and participate in the repair revenue the same way your car dealer does. If that wasn’t the case, they would have very little incentive for post sale support unless you originally purchased it from that dealer. Take it to a dealer, someone will help you. Given the number of people on this thread who have gotten repairs surely this would be a known issue.

Anecdotally when I bought my Utopia all the sellers I spoke to (save the one I bought from) had no receipt and none were the original owner.

Jun 11, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #17,764 of 20,736
Well, I'm not really convinced, but maybe it's worth a shot. Thanks for the advice.

I don't know the situation on the thread with past people. I just assumed most poeple would have gone through a dealer and gotten support that way, I'd be surprised if dealers have any incentive to help any one with products they themselves didn't sell but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #17,765 of 20,736
Anecdotally when I bought my Utopia all the sellers I spoke to (save the one I bought from) had no receipt and none were the original owner.
Very odd isn’t it? I had the same issues! Why second hand sellers do not have original receipts is beyond me. I was lucky inasmuch that I found an open box pre 2020 set, at an official dealer, and I received the 5yr warranty when registered with Focal.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #17,766 of 20,736
So I love my Utopias, but I like having a "complement" headphone with them. I used to own the ZMF Eikon and to me they were a perfect complement. Swap out the Utopias for a few days and I would enjoy the bombastic bass of the Eikon before missing the speed, clarity, and intensity of the Utopias. They didn't compete they were just nice complements. Well, I sold the Eikons about a year ago due to their weight. So I am wondering, does anyone else use a "complement" headphone with their Utopias and if so what do you use? If not, does anyone have suggestions for a complementary headphone that would have a little more bass and maybe be a little more fun to swap in occasionally? I'm tempted to go ZMF again - debating the Verite or the Atrium. I just feel like the Verite might have a similar sound signature rather than being different than the Utopia. Closed or open does not matter.

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #17,767 of 20,736
Very odd isn’t it? I had the same issues! Why second hand sellers do not have original receipts is beyond me. I was lucky inasmuch that I found an open box pre 2020 set, at an official dealer, and I received the 5yr warranty when registered with Focal.
I purchased a 2020 set from a dealer and have registered them with Focal and also received the 5yr warranty. Responding to provide another data point, as there has been some mention that Utopia 2020s might not have a five year warranty with them. This was a USA purchase, so conditions may vary.

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #17,768 of 20,736
So I love my Utopias, but I like having a "complement" headphone with them. I used to own the ZMF Eikon and to me they were a perfect complement. Swap out the Utopias for a few days and I would enjoy the bombastic bass of the Eikon before missing the speed, clarity, and intensity of the Utopias. They didn't compete they were just nice complements. Well, I sold the Eikons about a year ago due to their weight. So I am wondering, does anyone else use a "complement" headphone with their Utopias and if so what do you use? If not, does anyone have suggestions for a complementary headphone that would have a little more bass and maybe be a little more fun to swap in occasionally? I'm tempted to go ZMF again - debating the Verite or the Atrium. I just feel like the Verite might have a similar sound signature rather than being different than the Utopia. Closed or open does not matter.
I know slightly long in the tooth now, but try HD800S if you haven’t already done so?

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #17,769 of 20,736
If not, does anyone have suggestions for a complementary headphone that would have a little more bass and maybe be a little more fun to swap in occasionally? I'm tempted to go ZMF again - debating the Verite or the Atrium. I just feel like the Verite might have a similar sound signature rather than being different than the Utopia. Closed or open does not matter.
The Verite both open and closed have very different signatures from the Utopia. I think they are a great complement especially if you are looking for a laidback and warmer sounding headphone that can resolve almost as well as the Utopia. The Utopia is pretty much bog standard neutral tone and is cleaner sounding than the Verite, which is a warmer, coloured sounding headphone with slightly more bass than the Utopia. It is deceptively fast sounding, almost as fast as the Utopia which is mostly unheard of for a headphone with this signature and does have a seductive tone that works great with jazz/vocal jazz. The thing to note is it's recession around the 3-4k region which can take a bit of getting used to especially coming from the Utopia. Really the only similarities between them is the use of Beryllium in their drivers though it is not full Beryllium like Utopia.

The Atrium is not as laidback as the Verite and is more forward sounding. It does slam harder than the Verite and Utopia but it doesn't quite have the same snap as it is not as fast as the Verite and Utopia. But it has a great midrange tonality and is imo one of the most natural and real sounding headphone out there especially for drums and acoustic instruments. It is my favorite headphone for rock and anything with a guitar. The most noticeable difference between these 3 headphones is in decay. The Atrium has by far the most sustained decay followed by the Verite then the Utopia.

Can't go wrong with either but if you can I'd suggest testing both out at audio shows/shops before deciding.

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #17,770 of 20,736

I would actually suggest a planar magnetic headphone, if you want strong bass and warmer sound, I would really suggest the 1266tc or the lcd 5. The presentation of the music from a planar is significantly different and you can never go wrong with 1266 bass, very dynamic, rumble. Getting a same technology and sound out of a dynamic driver from ZMF may be redundant.

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #17,771 of 20,736
I would actually suggest a planar magnetic headphone, if you want strong bass and warmer sound, I would really suggest the 1266tc or the lcd 5. The presentation of the music from a planar is significantly different and you can never go wrong with 1266 bass, very dynamic, rumble. Getting a same technology and sound out of a dynamic driver from ZMF may be redundant.
Yeah I actually started eyeing up the DCA Stealth. Not sure I would enjoy the clamp of the LCD 5 or the comfort of the 1266

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #17,772 of 20,736
The Verite both open and closed have very different signatures from the Utopia. I think they are a great complement especially if you are looking for a laidback and warmer sounding headphone that can resolve almost as well as the Utopia. The Utopia is pretty much bog standard neutral tone and is cleaner sounding than the Verite, which is a warmer, coloured sounding headphone with slightly more bass than the Utopia. It is deceptively fast sounding, almost as fast as the Utopia which is mostly unheard of for a headphone with this signature and does have a seductive tone that works great with jazz/vocal jazz. The thing to note is it's recession around the 3-4k region which can take a bit of getting used to especially coming from the Utopia. Really the only similarities between them is the use of Beryllium in their drivers though it is not full Beryllium like Utopia.

The Atrium is not as laidback as the Verite and is more forward sounding. It does slam harder than the Verite and Utopia but it doesn't quite have the same snap as it is not as fast as the Verite and Utopia. But it has a great midrange tonality and is imo one of the most natural and real sounding headphone out there especially for drums and acoustic instruments. It is my favorite headphone for rock and anything with a guitar. The most noticeable difference between these 3 headphones is in decay. The Atrium has by far the most sustained decay followed by the Verite then the Utopia.

Can't go wrong with either but if you can I'd suggest testing both out at audio shows/shops before deciding.
Thank you! A laid-back, warmer headphone is what I am after so I appreciate all of these comparisons. I loved the Eikons and regret selling them - not a warm headphone but the bass was just so different compared to other headphones I tried or owned. I might have to finally make a trek to CanJam NYC next year, although no way I can wait that long hah.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #17,773 of 20,736
I know slightly long in the tooth now, but try HD800S if you haven’t already done so?
I actually owned them and felt they were too similar to the Utopia - basically similar to the Utopia and not as a good so I did not enjoy them as a complement. There just seemed to be a veil around the music (compared to the Utopia) and not the same level of punch and dynamics. I know I am in a very, very small minority with this next statement, but I did not care for the comfort of the HD800S - felt like my whole head was covered and they were a bit clampy. I owned the HD700 as well and found them to have better comfort than the HD800S.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #17,774 of 20,736
Yeah I actually started eyeing up the DCA Stealth. Not sure I would enjoy the clamp of the LCD 5 or the comfort of the 1266
Look into the Diana TC’s. They are like a light comfortable version of the 1266 with a bit less bass. Nice punch, far better detail retrieval than the utopia.

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #17,775 of 20,736
Look into the Diana TC’s. They are like a light comfortable version of the 1266 with a bit less bass. Nice punch, far better detail retrieval than the utopia.
I think that we audiophiles greatly overstate these differences in levels of detail retrieval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back