Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 30, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #16,951 of 20,634
Planars has totally different transducers which plays in favor bass reproduction...If you want that ooomph you should focus on closed back hp or even better save money for good speaker setup.

No dynamic openback will blow your socks off with bass and it's not the purpose for such headphones. Utopia is superior in other areas and is aiming towards certain audiophile market. Good bass is actually not hard to reproduce, but you can't squeeze much from such a tiny driver in Utopias
Interesting tangent... I have just recently come to accept the fact I am all about the bass. Good bass is not an automatic. I actually have very good subs in my vehicle, in my theater, and on my 2ch. There is no sub that hits like sitting in my insulated booth of a car, I can rattle everything in the house with my theater, my 2ch has all the punch I want. There is absolutely no headphone that will ever be capable of that kind of punch.... unless you listen to headphones with sub. It just silly to criticize a headphone for that. (not you)

I find the Utopias to be thoroughly entertaining. A hair light on bass but nothing +3 db doesn't fix. All I want. And it is superb quality.... which is all that matters. If other HPs have higher output, fine.. .but it is still not a sub. And I will say... if I go +6db... It definitely does not like that. There is a limit, but I am perfectly happy under it... and I definitely like me some sub bass. I personally find the Utopia fantastic across the whole frequency range.

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #16,952 of 20,634
Interesting tangent... I have just recently come to accept the fact I am all about the bass. Good bass is not an automatic. I actually have very good subs in my vehicle, in my theater, and on my 2ch. There is no sub that hits like sitting in my insulated booth of a car, I can rattle everything in the house with my theater, my 2ch has all the punch I want. There is absolutely no headphone that will ever be capable of that kind of punch.... unless you listen to headphones with sub. It just silly to criticize a headphone for that. (not you)

I find the Utopias to be thoroughly entertaining. A hair light on bass but nothing +3 db doesn't fix. All I want. And it is superb quality.... which is all that matters. If other HPs have higher output, fine.. .but it is still not a sub. And I will say... if I go +6db... It definitely does not like that. There is a limit, but I am perfectly happy under it... and I definitely like me some sub bass. I personally find the Utopia fantastic across the whole frequency range.
The Abyss AB 1266 Phi TCs are the closest you can get to sub-woofers in a pair of headphones. They are phenomenal

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #16,953 of 20,634
The Abyss AB 1266 Phi TCs are the closest you can get to sub-woofers in a pair of headphones. They are phenomenal
Did someone say TC. :joy:

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #16,955 of 20,634
abyss TC bass is thunderous...utopia is perfectly good bass but the abyss is special is bass is what you crave....

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #16,956 of 20,634
But they are not. No headphone delivers a 10-12-15 inch punch. They can only deliver bass that is heard, not bass that is felt. Utopias deliver fantastic sounding bass.... to me.
But, have you heard the TCs though? :confused:

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #16,957 of 20,634
Know I haven't, I just know they don't have 12 in drivers. I'm not criticizing. It took me a bit to adjust to headphones. Besides the obvious differences to speakers, bass is not felt no matter how good.... Even though the frequency extension and bass quality can be phenomenal.

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #16,959 of 20,634
Know I haven't, I just know they don't have 12 in drivers. I'm not criticizing. It took me a bit to adjust to headphones. Besides the obvious differences to speakers, bass is not felt no matter how good.... Even though the frequency extension and bass quality can be phenomenal.

Oh.. trust me.. with the TC u can feel the bass.

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #16,961 of 20,634
Will they rattle my dishes in the cupboard... Or scare my dog in the other room?

well that defeats the purpose of headphone listening, doesn't it?

If it is bass u can feel + hp listening, then yes the TC delivers. if u wanna scare the dog, then use speakers.

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #16,962 of 20,634
Will they rattle my dishes in the cupboard... Or scare my dog in the other room?
You really do not understand...lol. TC bass is unlike any other headphone bass. If you get a chance, give em a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised :beerchug:

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #16,965 of 20,634
Any new opinions on using the Cayin C9 transportable for powering the Utopia? (synnergy etc)

I will go for the classic Hugo2/C9 combo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back