Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 24, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #16,922 of 20,644
Got to try Utopia with Feliks Echo Mk1 otl and source was just apple dongle but good lord how it shredded trough songs, impedance made bass boosted maybe 2dB above neutral, slight roundness was added to treble, smooth yet very engaging at same time, just wanted to crank more and more volume. Spotted one on local sale but skipped it due thinking Utopia would sound bad paired otl but now i am pissed for passing the opportunity.

RME-ADI-2 was compared from its headphone output, it did well, super neutral sound without annoying quirks but Echo just grabbed me more even with imperfections, sorry.

Focal Elear was there too with Dekoni (Fenestrated?) pads. Elears and Utopias sound shared many similarities with some graininess added to Elear. What made most immediate difference was Elears more closed in sound with some honkyness compared to Utopia.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #16,923 of 20,644
So recently, when I got my set up, I got a Naim Atom and B&W 707s with a SVS micro sub. It really blows me away how good it is for a desktop system. I have to check imaging and tone outside my head every now and then. Unfortunately, I can't stop listening to my Utopias. I have mostly kept my Harman settings from the thread. Tried making sure Roon isn't doing anything else I don't want. I just can't wait to get some time when I get home. And right now... I simply can not stop listening to London Grammar. New to me, can't put them down. I am trying really hard to distract myself form waiting for my new amp coming. Who knows, I might have to take some time off for that... :)

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #16,924 of 20,644
Something like Naim Atom seems way more pleasant to my ears than having dac/amp/DDC to get computer audio to headphones. I hate all that cable mess and used space on my desktop. If I just knew such devices exist on my first purchases...How these streamers stack against decent desktop equipment ?

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #16,925 of 20,644
Something like Naim Atom seems way more pleasant to my ears than having dac/amp/DDC to get computer audio to headphones. I hate all that cable mess and used space on my desktop. If I just knew such devices exist on my first purchases...How these streamers stack against decent desktop equipment ?
Apperantly, the Naim Atom headphone edition is fantastic for HPs. I wanted an all in one which is why I got the Atom... But for speakers. I considered the HE, but then would need amp or active speakers which I decided against. The Atom and Matrix Audio are both great streamers. I figured I would listen to Atom and only got the Matrix for portability. But neither really have great headphone outs. Cambridge Audio has their Evo and NAD has their streamer. Of course there are others... For me, they are very versatile especially since all my music is digital.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #16,926 of 20,644
Any rumblings of an updated Utopia for CanJam New York? With a series of updates across the line up in 2021, and subtle visual changes would it be nuts to think the same for Utopia?

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #16,927 of 20,644
Any rumblings of an updated Utopia for CanJam New York? With a series of updates across the line up in 2021, and subtle visual changes would it be nuts to think the same for Utopia?
People have been predicting a new Utopia for a while now. I read some people saying November of this year, but who knows what that’s based on (if anything).

When people were predicting a new Utopia last year, I thought the market was too crowded with new TOTL headphones at the time (Stealth, LCD-5, Elite, X9000, CRBN). But with a lot of the big TOTL companies releasing last year, maybe this year would be a good time to introduce the new Utopia :thinking:

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #16,928 of 20,644
Would be nice if they can improve power handling... It sounds incredible, but guys who designed have no clue how to design proper headphones, cause its impossible to listen it loud whitout its driver runing out of gas.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #16,929 of 20,644
give it a bigger sound stage and more bass and you have some combo of the lcd-5 or soltaire p

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #16,930 of 20,644
I was holding out in favor of a Utopia v2 last year. Eventually I realized it wasn't going to happen and bought the current model. Now, after owning & using Utopia for the past several months, I'm inclined against any update. Utopia really has no competition among dynamic drivers, it is the undisputed king. Trying to compete against totl planars doesn't make much sense (apples vs oranges). If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #16,931 of 20,644
kind of like those who speak of a new susvara...hard to imagine something much better worth upgrading the present susvara

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #16,932 of 20,644
... cause its impossible to listen it loud whitout its driver runing out of gas.
I don't know what's loud for you, but i fundamentally disagree.
I listen a lot of EDM, basically Harman target
, and so loud that they chase me out of the living room, but i had problems with clipping, only when a driver was damaged

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #16,933 of 20,644
I've been listening with my SolP ever since I got it. new toy syndrome..

Swapped to my Utopia last night and yep the Utopia are definitely not going anywhere. I would say comparatively less low end, but somehow at the same time exactly just the right amount to make for an extremely balanced and coherent presentation. smaller staging but not claustrophobic at all, and more than made up for by the crazy good layering and pinpoint imaging.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. the utopia just seem to disappear and I end up just enjoying the music.

using it with a Primaluna pre and a 250w (into 8ohm) power amp which is super overkill but man, the utopia scale so well. hot damn I love these headphones..

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #16,934 of 20,644
Would be nice if they can improve power handling... It sounds incredible, but guys who designed have no clue how to design proper headphones, cause its impossible to listen it loud whitout its driver runing out of gas.
yeah, sure, they "have no clue" and i'd be trying to preserve the little hearing i have left if i were you

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #16,935 of 20,644

I am needing to turn the volume down as my recent tweaks seem to have increased dynamics. So in my system I run out of gas before the utopias do.

Regards
GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back