Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #16,982 of 20,644
Do people feel the Utopia have probably the worst build quality of high end headphones? It creaks real bad, and the plastic enclosure's fake piano paint looks worse than my logitech. The headband leather is untreated and react to oil and dust easily. Now with the added issues of glues in driver housing and possible mechanical failures in the headband, it just feels like the sound performance doesn't match up with its industrial design at all. Comparing with a Meze Empyrean it's really a night and day difference. I really hope there is a new face lift coming that fixes these short coming while keeping the sound and I will buy them in a heartbeat
Mine doesn't creek much. It is a 2020 edition, which is the same, just newer. Probably part of the reason for some thinking it isn't very good for build quality is because so many of them have been around for much longer than any of the newer flagships it is compared with, and wear happens. This also says something about the reliability and warranty support. Focal does have some of the best warranties in the industry. I haven't personally filed a claim with them but have heard others saying they stick by their products and warranties. Looks are subjective. I think the utopia is one of the best looking headphones out there and I'm not alone. Other people don't get the look. I think the headband is better than the hifiman ones in terms of build quality. It is carbon fiber, so it surely won't be breaking and real lambskin is very nice. Maybe mine feels better than other peoples' because they improved on some of this stuff with the 2020 edition. The sound is the same though of course.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #16,983 of 20,644
I think the utopia is a beautiful HP personally...first class build quality

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #16,984 of 20,644
Do people feel the Utopia have probably the worst build quality of high end headphones? It creaks real bad, and the plastic enclosure's fake piano paint looks worse than my logitech. The headband leather is untreated and react to oil and dust easily. Now with the added issues of glues in driver housing and possible mechanical failures in the headband, it just feels like the sound performance doesn't match up with its industrial design at all. Comparing with a Meze Empyrean it's really a night and day difference. I really hope there is a new face lift coming that fixes these short coming while keeping the sound and I will buy them in a heartbeat
I had both.
With the Empy, too, I had several points regarding the quality of build quality that could clearly be criticized.
It's definitely NO day and night difference.
You've probably never held an SR009S in your hands..

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #16,985 of 20,644
Surely you jest!

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #16,986 of 20,644
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #16,987 of 20,644
I got a three year old and no squeking at all? Its solid.

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #16,988 of 20,644

Mine are about 5 years old. If I take them off their stand one-handed and I listen for it, whilst they are in one-handed stress, there are a couple of tiny stress creaks. Once on my head they are silent. The piano black is still immaculately shiny and scratch free. The leather headband is still soft and like new where it touches my hair; no trouble with body oils or hair products, the untouched top leather is still new looking. No glue issues here. The headband has not failed mechanically or otherwise. I use them approx 4 days per week on average for several hours each time. So thousands of hours of use still like new is just an amazing value for money purchase. Thoroughly recommended.

So my 5 year ownership experience is diametrically opposed to your allegations.

I never see my headphones once they are on my head so it is function over form for me. The fact that I like the form of the focal utopias on their stand is merely a bonus for me.

Regards
GG

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #16,989 of 20,644
No
+1
Absolutely not.
+1
I think the utopia is a beautiful HP personally...first class build quality
+1
I got a three year old and no squeking at all? Its solid.
+1

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #16,990 of 20,644

Wait till you handle a Susvara. Fantastic sounding but... :sweat_smile:

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #16,991 of 20,644
Wait till you handle a Susvara. Fantastic sounding but... :sweat_smile:
The Susvara is not without its little creaks either, but my Utopia is the noisier of the two.. :). Both great headphones though.

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #16,992 of 20,644
I don't actually get the comments of poor quality/build on the susvara.. have people been getting sets with poor finishing?

I'm holding mine now and the finish is very nice, feels solid, no rough or sharp edges, doesn't creak, and cups turn nice and smooth. the headband adjustment is also nice and clicks in place and stays there.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #16,993 of 20,644
I don't actually get the comments if poor quality/build on the susvara.. have people been getting sets with poor finishing?

I'm holding mine now and the finish is very nice, feels solid, no rough or sharp edges, doesn't creak, and cups turn nice and smooth. the headband adjustment is also nice and clicks in place and stays there.
I agree with you. I know Hifman is getting some criticism for QC but my Susvara is fine. Occasionally the headband can make a slight clicking sound but when I adjust the headband it is gone.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #16,994 of 20,644
I don't actually get the comments of poor quality/build on the susvara.. have people been getting sets with poor finishing?

I 100% agree re susvars - fine by me.
a friend had some issues with pads newding to be replaced soon (he had the 2.5mm version) but no dramas with my 3.5mm. Touch wood.

i had a little creaking on my elears (from memory) but no big issue.

anyway i’ll move in from this discussion of build quality.

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #16,995 of 20,644
New drivers are in, new pads on it.
Now daddy can make himself comfortable on the couch

20220205_151709.jpg
Screenshot_20220205-153510_Neutron Player.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back