Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #16,096 of 20,644
Sorry guys, I should have known better than to ask about cables. That's like chum in the water for the objectivism evangelists. Won't happen again.

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #16,097 of 20,644
Wait a second. Cables have capacitance and inductance, which implies that they can alter frequency response by presenting a variable impedance (reactance) as a function of frequency. So science doesn't contradict, per se, the views of many (myself included) that cables can sound different. Are you saying that no one has ever identified different cables in a blind test?

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #16,098 of 20,644
I own silver dragon, stock 2020 and the original cables as-well as cheap Mogami 2893 diy. So 3 types of wire? silver, copper litz and star quad? They all vary in length from 4ft to 9ft if there is as a difference I would hear it - I can still hear up to 15.5khz

Wait a second. Cables have capacitance and inductance, which implies that they can alter frequency response by presenting a variable impedance (reactance) as a function of frequency. So science doesn't contradict, per se, the views of many (myself included) that cables can sound different. Are you saying that no one has ever identified different cables in a blind test?
Yes cables have different electrical specification but they are negligible for the short runs and low voltage of headphone cable. I have read the spec from different cable suppliers before building my diy cable and the differences were so negligible it would be impossible to hear based on use case.

Also, you’d be surprised how little some people know about their cables, checkout your Lemo connectors on your fancy aftermarket cable and tell me if you see the word “Lemo” - if you don’t, guess what they are knock offs. Or how about how many custom cable makers remove the RFi braiding when they resleeve to make them less stiff, so it’s funny how some of the same people go to great lengths to reject noise with filters and power supplies then have unshielded headphone cables - not that I think you can hear the RFI lol

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #16,099 of 20,644
It's particular application specific. In electrostatic principle, capacitance is a very, real and measurable issue.

But we like to overgeneralize all of the context and facts.

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #16,100 of 20,644
If you have been to Rome maybe you remember the statue of Giordano Bruno in Campo de Fiori…he was burned alive for his Copernican view of the universe which contradicted views of the Catholic Church. It’s a great example how people with vested interests and cognitive dissonance preach things that have no empirical proof but are held to be true and people flamed over challenging them.

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #16,101 of 20,644

STOP

Please read this post first, before you post! While I no longer read this thread, I will update the first post if you let me know.

The utopia is $4000 MSRP (significantly less from friendly, authorized dealers)

Let's keep this civil, and focused on the Focal Utopia

Thanks
  1. Elear Impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811961/focal-elear-impressions-thread
  2. Head-fi preview thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv
  3. InnerFidelity YouTube review
  4. World's Best Headphone: The Focal Utopia (InnerFidelity)
  5. Headphone.com review
  6. Headphone.Guru review
  7. HomeTheaterReview.com review
  8. Focal link: http://www.focal.com/headphones/

Music to show off the Utopia recommendations:

1. Fleetwood Mac: Rumors - thanks @Allanmarcus)
  2. "Holst--The Planets" (London Philharmonic, Boult 24/96 HD FLAC file) - thanks hometheaterreview.com
  3. "Alone" from Don Ellis' album Electric Bath - thanks hometheaterreview.com
  4. "Be-Bop-A-Lula" by Gene Vincent from the Rockabilly Rules compilation
  5. "Moving Picture" (Rush) - thanks headphone.guru
  6. Mahler’s 5th Symphony - thanks headphone.guru
  7. Rebecca Pidgeon’s “The Raven” in a high resolution 192kps - thanks headphone.guru
  8. Dianna Krall's "Popsicle Toes" - thanks InnerFidelity.com
  9. Lorde's "Royals" (from 2:20 - 2:45) - thanks @talkingmuffin
  10. Led Zeppelin "Physical Grafiti" (remastered edition) - thanks @phaeton70
This thread has a particularly high noise to signal ratio, but it still can be useful if you are considering a Utopia.

====================
It appears the warranty is five years from original date of purchase
Warranty is transferable to the next owner with invoice from authorized dealer
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-14843479
Non-warranted product can and will be repaired if requested but of course there is a repair cost charged.

====================
Cases that work with the Utopia:
======================
Here's an open invitation to any other MOT that wants to come onto this thread and announce a new product that specifically relates to the Utopia. You are welcome with arms wide. The pretty much limits the invitation to cables or other stuff specifically designed for the utopia. Cases that the Utopia will fit in area also welcome.

Discussion of the product as it relates to the Utopia is also welcome.
======================
Cables. Running list (in no particular order) of third party cable providers. Most of these folks will make you a custom cable to spec if you contact them.
=======================
Alternate Pads. Alternate pads are highly likely to change the way the headphones sound, and often not for the better
  • Elear pads - Not recommended
  • Clear Pads - Some like these
  • Dekoni Audio - no known reviews
=======================
Synopsis of common threads. Please don't start up a discussion in these areas as what's been said is all there is to say. Thanks @LCMusicLover and @PHIL007 for starting this list.
  • Stock cable (yes, it's too long and un-wieldy, and possibly not that great, although opinions vary)
  • Price (yes, they are wildly expensive, and there's no way to tell whether the price is justified by production costs, but it is what it is...). Note, your authorized Focal dealer can provide quite a discount on price. Don't pay $4000.
  • Tyll's (from InnerFidelity) review(s) (We'll never know whether Tyll's first pair was broken, modified or intentionally tuned to Tyll's preferences, or just an out-lier)
  • No transport case. Yes, the cheaper Clear comes with one, and the Utopia doesn't. Sucks. Talk to your dealer and I'll bet you get a great discount on a case if you buy with the Utopia.
  • Extra pads. Doesn't come with extra pads. Sucks. We know.
Thank you for this clear and & helpful summary overview. I will be receiving a Focal Utopia 2020 next week. I look forward to accessing the posted info.

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #16,102 of 20,644
The Utopia do scale with a better amp and most high end ampifier would recommend you using their 4pin XLR output to benefit from their power and balanced topology.
I have upgraded the amp from THX789, to A90, then to Luxman P750u and Ferrum OOR. A better amp does provide noticable improvement. Especially in the width of the stage and also bass tonality / texture.

I think you can view after market cables as a tool. For example my versions of utopia only comes with a 6.3 mm termination. While most amps offer a 6.3 mm output, some amps will also offer a true balanced 4 pin XLR output. And base on specs on paper, the 4pin XLR will most likely provide more power. I think you can justify and would acknowledge the difference in power output from the ampifier, therefore you can get an aftermarket 4pin xlr at your own comfortable price.

Just like the car terminology. Grab a volkswagen to travel or grab a Lamborghini for a better engine. You would still travel the same distance at the end of the day.

For those who got the newer version 2020 Uotpia that comes with 4pin xlr cable, then you are good. Replace the cable if it is damaged or if it is too stiff for you.

You are in control of your hobby, not the equipment controlling you nor allowing it to limit your enjoyment.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #16,103 of 20,644

Attachments

• J9Qjd.jpg
    J9Qjd.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #16,105 of 20,644
If you can hear difference between different cables and power cleaning products and come across others who do not hear any difference, well then you know those ears you can "trust". Same thing if you do not hear any SQ difference between cables, then you know who/which ears you can "trust" in the future.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #16,107 of 20,644
How about both sides of the cable debate take it elsewhere.

A separate thread for “Utopia cables” would be ideal. I don’t think it’s appropriate to permit positive cable statements while not allowing any counterpoint. What’s next - only positive comments about the Utopia in this thread? How does censorship help the general community.

That would fundamentally solve the problem, Those interested in discussing various cables would have the free space to do so without constantly derailing this thread.

Oct 3, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #16,108 of 20,644
the cable debate is off-topic here and in other head-fi forum threads with the exception of the sound science forum, regardless of which side of it is being prosecuted afaik

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #16,109 of 20,644
How about both sides of the cable debate take it elsewhere.

A separate thread for “Utopia cables” would be ideal. I don’t think it’s appropriate to permit positive cable statements while not allowing any counterpoint. What’s next - only positive comments about the Utopia in this thread? How does censorship help the general community.

That would fundamentally solve the problem, Those interested in discussing various cables would have the free space to do so without constantly derailing this thread.
I believe it was my question that kicked off this whole drama, and for the record I did NOT ask whether cables make an audible difference. I asked for advice on choosing between 2 specific cables for Utopia, which the objectivist evangelist contingent apparently read as "CONVERT ME TO YOUR DOGMA!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back