Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 27, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #15,451 of 20,602
Tube Amps all the way.....
I've been (mostly) happy with the gsx mini (with Utopia) but am looking into tube amps - the wa33 seems like a great option judging from the numerous posts on this thread. Another option, a newer option is the Wells Audio Dragon. If anyone gets one, it would be nice to read about how it pairs with Utopia.

As for the wa33, I wonder if just the standard, non jps wiring version is "good enough" for utopia.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #15,452 of 20,602
I've been (mostly) happy with the gsx mini (with Utopia) but am looking into tube amps - the wa33 seems like a great option judging from the numerous posts on this thread. Another option, a newer option is the Wells Audio Dragon. If anyone gets one, it would be nice to read about how it pairs with Utopia.

As for the wa33, I wonder if just the standard, non jps wiring version is "good enough" for utopia.
Why don't you check on ALO Studio Six tube amp as well?
Lots of tube rolling fun.....

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #15,453 of 20,602

Feliks audio euforia ae is a great option with utopia. Focal used the euforia at shows to demo the utopia

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #15,454 of 20,602
I found it refreshing that he paired them up to what he thought would be their best amp. I find the problem with a lot of reviews is that they pick a rig to review all of their headphones and IEMs and those favor the products that have synergy with those amps. That's actually not reflective of what people are buying.
Perhaps, but I would have liked to know his thought using them on both amps and volume matched.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #15,455 of 20,602

STOP

Please read this post first, before you post! While I no longer read this thread, I will update the first post if you let me know.

The utopia is $4000 MSRP (significantly less from friendly, authorized dealers)

Let's keep this civil, and focused on the Focal Utopia

Thanks
  1. Elear Impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811961/focal-elear-impressions-thread
  2. Head-fi preview thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv
  3. InnerFidelity YouTube review
  4. World's Best Headphone: The Focal Utopia (InnerFidelity)
  5. Headphone.com review
  6. Headphone.Guru review
  7. HomeTheaterReview.com review
  8. Focal link: http://www.focal.com/headphones/

Music to show off the Utopia recommendations:

1. Fleetwood Mac: Rumors - thanks @Allanmarcus)
  2. "Holst--The Planets" (London Philharmonic, Boult 24/96 HD FLAC file) - thanks hometheaterreview.com
  3. "Alone" from Don Ellis' album Electric Bath - thanks hometheaterreview.com
  4. "Be-Bop-A-Lula" by Gene Vincent from the Rockabilly Rules compilation
  5. "Moving Picture" (Rush) - thanks headphone.guru
  6. Mahler’s 5th Symphony - thanks headphone.guru
  7. Rebecca Pidgeon’s “The Raven” in a high resolution 192kps - thanks headphone.guru
  8. Dianna Krall's "Popsicle Toes" - thanks InnerFidelity.com
  9. Lorde's "Royals" (from 2:20 - 2:45) - thanks @talkingmuffin
  10. Led Zeppelin "Physical Grafiti" (remastered edition) - thanks @phaeton70
This thread has a particularly high noise to signal ratio, but it still can be useful if you are considering a Utopia.

====================
It appears the warranty is five years from original date of purchase
Warranty is transferable to the next owner with invoice from authorized dealer
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-14843479
Non-warranted product can and will be repaired if requested but of course there is a repair cost charged.

====================
Cases that work with the Utopia:
======================
Here's an open invitation to any other MOT that wants to come onto this thread and announce a new product that specifically relates to the Utopia. You are welcome with arms wide. The pretty much limits the invitation to cables or other stuff specifically designed for the utopia. Cases that the Utopia will fit in area also welcome.

Discussion of the product as it relates to the Utopia is also welcome.
======================
Cables. Running list (in no particular order) of third party cable providers. Most of these folks will make you a custom cable to spec if you contact them.
=======================
Alternate Pads. Alternate pads are highly likely to change the way the headphones sound, and often not for the better
  • Elear pads - Not recommended
  • Clear Pads - Some like these
  • Dekoni Audio - no known reviews
=======================
Synopsis of common threads. Please don't start up a discussion in these areas as what's been said is all there is to say. Thanks @LCMusicLover and @PHIL007 for starting this list.
  • Stock cable (yes, it's too long and un-wieldy, and possibly not that great, although opinions vary)
  • Price (yes, they are wildly expensive, and there's no way to tell whether the price is justified by production costs, but it is what it is...). Note, your authorized Focal dealer can provide quite a discount on price. Don't pay $4000.
  • Tyll's (from InnerFidelity) review(s) (We'll never know whether Tyll's first pair was broken, modified or intentionally tuned to Tyll's preferences, or just an out-lier)
  • No transport case. Yes, the cheaper Clear comes with one, and the Utopia doesn't. Sucks. Talk to your dealer and I'll bet you get a great discount on a case if you buy with the Utopia.
  • Extra pads. Doesn't come with extra pads. Sucks. We know.
good but definitely needs new cable

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #15,457 of 20,602
the bakoon is overkill for the utopia...the utopia is so efficient it doesnt need an amp like the bakoon....the chord dave or even the hugo 2 to pick 2 dac/amps can drive the utopia quite nicely whereas the abyss or susvara or even the lcd-4 they cannot
jibrach, I use a Woo Audio WA22 fully-balanced hp amplifier to drive my Utopia’s in a dedicated hp system built specifically for the Utopia’s sound signature.

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #15,458 of 20,602
whatever works for you is great, I found when I owned utopia that my dave drove it beautifully

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #15,460 of 20,602
Thank you for posting this review. As others have mentioned this review would be a bit more pertinent had he also compared the Sus and Utopia on the same amps. I wonder if he even volume matched? Nothing here I would really use. I would much rather read your and other user’s reviews.
Hey sorry if there's any confusion since the video only tells part of the story. Resolve did try both headphones off the same source gear. He's had both headphones in the studio for close to a month and the Forge and Bakoon are also in the Headphones.com office to listen to at anytime.

For the video, he talked about the two units off their respective amps because that's how he preferred to listen to them. The Utopia off the Bakoon wasn't as interesting to him off the Forge and vice versa.

Hope that clears it up!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #15,461 of 20,602
Hey sorry if there's any confusion since the video only tells part of the story. Resolve did try both headphones off the same source gear. He's had both headphones in the studio for close to a month and the Forge and Bakoon are also in the Headphones.com office to listen to at anytime.

For the video, he talked about the two units off their respective amps because that's how he preferred to listen to them. The Utopia off the Bakoon wasn't as interesting to him off the Forge and vice versa.

Hope that clears it up!
I actually preferred that he compared the headphones with the best setup(amp) for each one. There is such a thing as synergy between components and using the same amp may work well for one and not the other. I use my Susvara with the Bakoon, my 1266 with my XI audio formula S and my Utopia with my feliks euforia. Switching them up yields worse performance.

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #15,462 of 20,602
Can I just say that while cables do seem to make a difference in sound quality, I now realize that at some point the thickness becomes a detriment.

F1EAFC40-6985-4F87-8FDB-4B19AF9E352B.jpeg

while the stock cable for the Utopia sounds a bit dull in comparison to the Moon Audio black dragon and the Danacable reference plus, at least it’s more comfortable. I now realize when folks were making jokes calling certain cables water hoses what they meant and why.

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #15,463 of 20,602
if i were considering purchasing an aftermarket cable for the utopia (which i am not), it would have to be thinner, shorter and lighter than the stock cable

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #15,464 of 20,602
Anyone have any suggestions for a cable that sounds as good as the reference plus but is thinner, lighter and more flexible?

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #15,465 of 20,602
I actually preferred that he compared the headphones with the best setup(amp) for each one. There is such a thing as synergy between components and using the same amp may work well for one and not the other…
I’m actually ambivalent about this. As you can see from my earlier post, I was one of the ones who questioned the ‘different headphones from different amps’ thing. Especially when he said Susvara had better detail. Probably so, but the viewer is left to wonder if it would have been true with both sets from the same amp? Or is the Bakoon just more detailed? Same with comparisons of other characteristics.

On the other hand, I think you make a valid point as well. If you’re going to compare to headphones at this level, of course you want them both to be at their best.

But on the gripping hand, I wonder if the best approach would’ve been to say some words about each headphone from both amps, explaining why each pairing was preferred. Then carry-on as before ... too many words perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back