Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 2, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #15,031 of 20,638
I agree. I had the wa22, and with some nice tubes, especially drivers like mullard ECC35, the Utopias sounded amazing on that tube amp. I do sometimes regret selling it. Should have kept it for a bedside or office rig..
Even though I don’t use my hd800 a lot i still have my wa2 just for that every now and then - maybe even tonight

May 2, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #15,032 of 20,638
I do enjoy the Pathos Aurium tube amp with the Utopias. It sounds better to me than the WA6 or WA22 which I had before.

May 2, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #15,034 of 20,638
+1 for the Quicksilver. I've been enjoying mine for over a month. I switched from silver to copper for my cable and it is just the perfect amount of warmth.

May 2, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #15,035 of 20,638
Have been looking into Feliks Euforia 20th Edition and Pathos Inpol Ear lately.
One review for Pathos?
Couple good reviews for 20th.
Still looking into both threads to determine which one.
Been using both Utopia and HD800S with ALO Studio Six tube amp.

May 2, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #15,036 of 20,638
Have been looking into Feliks Euforia 20th Edition and Pathos Inpol Ear lately.
One review for Pathos?
Couple good reviews for 20th.
Still looking into both threads to determine which one.
Been using both Utopia and HD800S with ALO Studio Six tube amp.
Shouldn’t the studio six be all that you need?
anything that you feel is lacking?

May 2, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #15,039 of 20,638
I do enjoy the Pathos Aurium tube amp with the Utopias. It sounds better to me than the WA6 or WA22 which I had before.
Had this pairing and loved it. I ended up selling both, but I'll soon have another Utopia in my collection as I've decided to repurchase them. I'm also looking at the Pathos Inpol Ear to complement my solid state amps. I hear good things about that amp.

May 2, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #15,040 of 20,638
OR another TOTL headphone with same caliber with Utopia?
Any good hp candidate that Studio Six can handle easily?
If looking for another hp the Hifiman he1000se would give you a cross of the hd800 and utopia (i have never owned the hd800s to comment on that specifically).
Different to the utopias bit with as much precision as the utopias in its presentation and a wide soundstage and upper end a bit like the hd800.
Not as full a sound as the utopia. Tight bottom end.

Or empyreans. The detail will not be at the same level (or at least not as obviously apparent) but it will give you a fuller mids/lower end sound and kinda lush tone in that area. Different to what you already have. Probably worth brightening it a little with a silver cable and/or touch of eq at around 1khz

no problems driving either

btw the hekse sound great out of anything imho so can lug around the house straight out of, say, an iPhone or iPad and save the better listening session when sitting by the studio six with any of the above mentioned hp.

Not as sexy as a second tube amp though - i know :frowning2:

May 2, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #15,041 of 20,638
If looking for another hp the Hifiman he1000se would give you a cross of the hd800 and utopia (i have never owned the hd800s to comment on that specifically).
Different to the utopias bit with as much precision as the utopias in its presentation and a wide soundstage and upper end a bit like the hd800.
Not as full a sound as the utopia. Tight bottom end.

Or empyreans. The detail will not be at the same level (or at least not as obviously apparent) but it will give you a fuller mids/lower end sound and kinda lush tone in that area. Different to what you already have. Probably worth brightening it a little with a silver cable and/or touch of eq at around 1khz

no problems driving either

btw the hekse sound great out of anything imho so can lug around the house straight out of, say, an iPhone or iPad and save the better listening session when sitting by the studio six with any of the above mentioned hp.

Not as sexy as a second tube amp though - i know :frowning2:
Thank you for the advice.
Thought about k1000SE, getting close to Susvara territory design wise but not required power amp....

May 2, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #15,042 of 20,638
I think ZMF Verite Open is on par with the Utopia (I have them both); they are not as easy to drive as Utopia, but easier than Susvara....

May 3, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #15,043 of 20,638

ZMF Verite has great synergy with Studio Six. Both produce "clean, spacious, but remain organic and smooth across all the spectrum" type of sound.

May 3, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #15,044 of 20,638
I disagree about the issues some are reporting with the Hugo 2. I think it's extremely well balanced. I've always found it to be incredibly musical, revealing and insightful, and perfectly balanced. It's a deeply emotive DAC.

The only area that the Hugo 2 lacks, is that it could use even more and faster power. Using the TT2 as an example, or the original Hugo and TT2 which were identical bar the power supply. The TT 1 and 2 can deliver more current instantaneously. Meaning those table-top DACs can provide more grip when extreme moments and dynamic shifts require. (Maybe some of that is even down to the taps and not power.)

The result in my opinion is that the TT2 leaves the Hugo 2 (and Qutest) sounding a just a little smooth. (That's leaving aside the extra taps in the TT2.) TT2 is more whole and revealing. More exact rounded and whole sounding, as well as being more detailed, explicit, and real sounding.

However the Hugo 2 being smoother takes nothing away from it at the price. Even next to the TT2, the Hugo 2 is excellent.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #15,045 of 20,638
I disagree about the issues some are reporting with the Hugo 2. I think it's extremely well balanced. I've always found it to be incredibly musical, revealing and insightful, and perfectly balanced. It's a deeply emotive DAC.

The only area that the Hugo 2 lacks, is that it could use even more and faster power. Using the TT2 as an example, or the original Hugo and TT2 which were identical bar the power supply. The TT 1 and 2 can deliver more current instantaneously. Meaning those table-top DACs can provide more grip when extreme moments and dynamic shifts require. (Maybe some of that is even down to the taps and not power.)

The result in my opinion is that the TT2 leaves the Hugo 2 (and Qutest) sounding a just a little smooth. (That's leaving aside the extra taps in the TT2.) TT2 is more whole and revealing. More exact rounded and whole sounding, as well as being more detailed, explicit, and real sounding.

However the Hugo 2 being smoother takes nothing away from it at the price. Even next to the TT2, the Hugo 2 is excellent.
That’s good to know but with usb and optical connections, I just felt something was slightly off. I came from very warm headphones before, AT L3000, and maybe it was just too far in the other direction. But out the Focal Arche and Chord Dave, the Utopia’s just sound so much better to my ears than the Hugo 2. One could argue the Dave in another league but the Focal Arche is at same price, if not cheaper with discounts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back