Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 6, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #15,061 of 20,796
When I first got my Utopias I felt overwhelmed after playing the track “Home Thru Hell” by the Deap Lips, a Flaming Lips side project. When you get about 52 seconds in, the sounds completely surrounds you. It’s kind of intense at first.
Please
Listen to this for soundstage. I promise you will be blown away
51C07CF6-6041-4F19-AC4B-3FF6898EA911.jpeg

May 6, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #15,062 of 20,796
looks like a lovely cable, do you know what sort of silver they use? they're not giving much away or i kind the info on their site. thx:)
I don’t if I’m honest although Alistair has been excellent with me. I made a balls up and ordered the wrong connector so sent back and they redid with a Furutech for me.
I’ve just listened to Cocteau with this cable, my benchmark for soundstage and unless I’ve a serious case of placebo going on here, it’s better than my balanced 4pin XLR. I’ve been back to backing these for just over an hour and it’s seriously impressive… To physically close your eyes and pin point every clap around your head at a minimum of what feels like 1m distance is quite surreal.

May 6, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #15,063 of 20,796
I don’t if I’m honest although Alistair has been excellent with me. I made a balls up and ordered the wrong connector so sent back and they redid with a Furutech for me.
I’ve just listened to Cocteau with this cable, my benchmark for soundstage and unless I’ve a serious case of placebo going on here, it’s better than my balanced 4pin XLR. I’ve been back to backing these for just over an hour and it’s seriously impressive… To physically close your eyes and pin point every clap around your head at a minimum of what feels like 1m distance is quite surreal.

Sorry man but I need to know...
Abyss Phi vs Utopia.
aaaaaand go!

May 6, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #15,064 of 20,796
Sorry man but I need to know...
Abyss Phi vs Utopia.
aaaaaand go!
Ok so I’ve had both.
I sold the Abyss and I did love it, but for me the Utopia just suited me better in most aspects.
I prefer the soundstage, I prefer the overall sound and the comfort level is totally different as I’m wearing these 8 hours a day while working and enjoying music so I’m quite blessed I’m home with spreadsheets and music.
The Phi edged it on detail, songs like Natalie Merchant “I may know the Word” had a slightly better crispness to it, but the Utopia for me just raised the levels on all other sections.
I bought the Superconductor cable for it also which did improve it, but they are just a hard fit to wear solid.
I’d struggle to change these Utopias, I have 3 cables now and this new Silver is giving me the detail I missed from the Phi on specific tracks, mainly softly voice orientated music, Katie Melua, Diana Krall etc.
I had Phi’s, Diana V2’s for sale for a while and could have kept them, but I just didn’t see the point, some of you are just headphone crazy 😝
I’m not a hard hitting bass fan, so I’m sure they would have their flaws with silver cable if I were into this.
The cable shielding on this is very nice also, not going to snag and fairly flexible.
9D033B50-C2FC-4D7D-A620-FB3A1AEF1862.jpeg

May 6, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #15,066 of 20,796
Ok so I’ve had both.
I sold the Abyss and I did love it, but for me the Utopia just suited me better in most aspects.
I prefer the soundstage, I prefer the overall sound and the comfort level is totally different as I’m wearing these 8 hours a day while working and enjoying music so I’m quite blessed I’m home with spreadsheets and music.
The Phi edged it on detail, songs like Natalie Merchant “I may know the Word” had a slightly better crispness to it, but the Utopia for me just raised the levels on all other sections.
I bought the Superconductor cable for it also which did improve it, but they are just a hard fit to wear solid.
I’d struggle to change these Utopias, I have 3 cables now and this new Silver is giving me the detail I missed from the Phi on specific tracks, mainly softly voice orientated music, Katie Melua, Diana Krall etc.
I had Phi’s, Diana V2’s for sale for a while and could have kept them, but I just didn’t see the point, some of you are just headphone crazy 😝
I’m not a hard hitting bass fan, so I’m sure they would have their flaws with silver cable if I were into this.
The cable shielding on this is very nice also, not going to snag and fairly flexible.9D033B50-C2FC-4D7D-A620-FB3A1AEF1862.jpeg

Thanks very much for that! I'm on the fence about getting the Phi. The Utopia hits all the right spots for me, but I've never gotten the chance to hear the Phi for myself, so just really curious mostly.

May 6, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #15,067 of 20,796
Just received my Artisan Silver 2m from them direct.
I’ve only had a day in, but I’m really really impressed. The clarity seems to have improved dramatically on songs with nice vocals, Lana Del Ray, Katie Melua etc. I’ve been back to backing it against my focal supplied cable and prefer it.
I’m using it both on my Hugo2Go and Focal Arche.
Best £300 I’ve spent in ages!!
I needed a 2m in between length and it’s amazing…EDCCF2DF-200F-4B53-98A8-BD15FA318995.jpeg
Unless its just a reflection of the red light (and not a red band) the right headphone connector looks like it is on the left earcup and vice versa

May 6, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #15,069 of 20,796
Just received my Artisan Silver 2m from them direct.
I’ve only had a day in, but I’m really really impressed. The clarity seems to have improved dramatically on songs with nice vocals, Lana Del Ray, Katie Melua etc. I’ve been back to backing it against my focal supplied cable and prefer it.
I’m using it both on my Hugo2Go and Focal Arche.
Best £300 I’ve spent in ages!!
I needed a 2m in between length and it’s amazing…EDCCF2DF-200F-4B53-98A8-BD15FA318995.jpeg

Ahhh ... beautiful cable! And the silver isn't too bright with the Hugo2? I'd be interested in what your filter and cross-feed settings are. I can't quite see the colours of your spheres.

May 6, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #15,070 of 20,796
Please
Listen to this for soundstage. I promise you will be blown away

Thanks. It does sound amazing. But think binaural recordings will have great soundstage on most headphones.

Here another one to try. Totally different genre. By guys who do Stranger Things soundtrack.

Attachments

• 04C56232-E4B9-4469-A22A-6640355E98F7.jpeg
    04C56232-E4B9-4469-A22A-6640355E98F7.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 0
May 6, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #15,071 of 20,796
I came across this singer on Roon radio. I love this kind of music through the Utopia! Does anyone have any other recommendations of similar sounding music? Seems almost like her songs were made to be played through the Utopia.

Love the layering, separation, strong central vocals and the background percussions and bass guitar.

Really love this song on that album!
If you haven't already, try this album. Actually all her albums on Tidal sound very good (details / positioning / etc).

Kat Edmonson
Kat.png
I really like "When you wish upon a star".

Of course it sounds very good with Utopia (more so than with my Empy due to superior details extraction/ instrument positioning).
DSC09291.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #15,072 of 20,796
Ok so I’ve had both.
The cable shielding on this is very nice also, not going to snag and fairly flexible.9D033B50-C2FC-4D7D-A620-FB3A1AEF1862.jpeg
Grabbing decent priced cables with decent lead times in the UK is a bit horrendous atm. How long did this take to arrive? Since price is in GBP I would assume pretty quick? :D

May 6, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #15,073 of 20,796
Grabbing decent priced cables with decent lead times in the UK is a bit horrendous atm. How long did this take to arrive? Since price is in GBP I would assume pretty quick? :D
Hey ordered and with me within just over a week. :)
They were doing 12.5% promotions on social media also for April.
These have not come off my head all day!

May 6, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #15,074 of 20,796
If you haven't already, try this album. Actually all her albums on Tidal sound very good (details / positioning / etc).

Kat Edmonson
Kat.png
I really like "When you wish upon a star".

Of course it sounds very good with Utopia (more so than with my Empy due to superior details extraction/ instrument positioning).
DSC09291.jpg

thanks very much! i will check it out tonight!

May 6, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #15,075 of 20,796
I came across this singer on Roon radio. I love this kind of music through the Utopia! Does anyone have any other recommendations of similar sounding music? Seems almost like her songs were made to be played through the Utopia.

Love the layering, separation, strong central vocals and the background percussions and bass guitar.

Screenshot_20210504-071209_Roon.jpgScreenshot_20210504-072810_Roon.jpg

Really love this song on that album!

Screenshot_20210504-094344_Roon.jpg
Try out Jill Barber - Mischievous Moon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back