Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 30, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #15,001 of 20,675
I find them very, very similar; I don't know whether it's because they are both dynamic or what, but I was just A/B comparing them the other night, and while there were some subtle differences between them in timbre, etc, to me they have a very similar feeling and I could not make a decision as to which I prefer. I don't even know why I'm keeping them both, but I like them both so much I can't part with either! And those ZMF's are some seriously beautiful looking cans.... On the other hand, I found them both very, very different from the planars I've had like HE-1000 V2, Diana V2, and Emypyrean, all of which I'm selling.... They are all great headphones, absolutely, but it's down to personal preference...
wow, quite different from other reports. ill take your words for it. si i guess beryllium have qualities that both Utopia and Verite pulls out. no need to have both i guess!

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #15,002 of 20,675
DSC08664.jpg

Finally joining the club :D. Been eyeing the Utopia for a while. Coming from a KSE1200 and HD 820. I wanted a headphone that bridged the gap between these two and the Utopia certainly delivered (technicality of the KSE with the openness of the 820). I'm surprised how close the Utopia gets to the performance of an electrostatic.

Loving it straight out of the Hugo 2. The H2's spatial detail is realized to another level. Though, the pair does come off as bass-light at times. I may add a tube to the chain in the future. But will be totally fine as-is for a while. I'm going back through all my music and I'm catching nuances I haven't noticed before, it's fabulous. Thankfully, no regrets taking the leap.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #15,003 of 20,675

Finally joining the club :D. Been eyeing the Utopia for a while. Coming from a KSE1200 and HD 820. I wanted a headphone that bridged the gap between these two and the Utopia certainly delivered (technicality of the KSE with the openness of the 820). I'm surprised how close the Utopia gets to the performance of an electrostatic.

Loving it straight out of the Hugo 2. The H2's spatial detail is realized to another level. Though, the pair does come off as bass-light at times. I may add a tube to the chain in the future. But will be totally fine as-is for a while. I'm going back through all my music and I'm catching nuances I haven't noticed before, it's fabulous. Thankfully, no regrets taking the leap.

On the Hugo 2, I liked the HF filter the most. The first filter was too bright and the last two are not as resolving. But in the end, the Hugo 2 is bass light, with the Utopia’s, compared to other amps with the Hugo 2 like the Dave, Focal Arche, and even with original Hugo. I wouldn’t recommend original Hugo since it’s not as resolving and feels closed in but does get the balance right.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #15,004 of 20,675
On the Hugo 2, I liked the HF filter the most ...
Thanks, I'll try this -- haven't played with the filters much yet.
... the Hugo 2 is bass light, with the Utopias ...
To my ears, an external amp (Romi Audio BX2+) helped significantly with Utopia bass. I get that it ends up being a stack which laughs at the word 'portable'. But for me, this is my 'portable listening station'. I move it around the house when I'm doing stuff away from my main system. Originally bought the BX2+ to allow use of my Heddphones w/ the H2go, but have ended up using it with all my cans.

Screw portability -- if I want to get 'out and about' I have DAPs and IEMs.

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #15,005 of 20,675

To my ears, an external amp (Romi Audio BX2+) helped significantly with Utopia bass. I get that it ends up being a stack which laughs at the word 'portable'. But for me, this is my 'portable listening station'. I move it around the house when I'm doing stuff away from my main system. Originally bought the BX2+ to allow use of my Heddphones w/ the H2go, but have ended up using it with all my cans.

That’s what I don’t get about the Hugo 2. It should have enough power for the Utopia’s but they sound slightly thin and technical sounding. If it’s not the power, it’s got to be the tuning of the Hugo 2.

When I got the Dave, I’m like, now this sounds right. These headphones are amazing. But it shouldn’t take $10k amp to get that sound and I was right when I got the Focal Arche. Not as resolving but balanced and full sounding. Using HQPlayer with the Focal Arche greatly improves its resolution. So a poor man’s Dave/mscaler.

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #15,006 of 20,675
That’s what I don’t get about the Hugo 2. It should have enough power for the Utopia’s but they sound slightly thin and technical sounding. If it’s not the power, it’s got to be the tuning of the Hugo 2.

When I got the Dave, I’m like, now this sounds right. These headphones are amazing. But it shouldn’t take $10k amp to get that sound and I was right when I got the Focal Arche. Not as resolving but balanced and full sounding. Using HQPlayer with the Focal Arche greatly improves its resolution. So a poor man’s Dave/mscaler.
I don't think it has anything to do with power -- I never get anywhere near max volume with Utopia. Even Hedd play 'loud enough' from H2go. Sure, maybe it's the 'available headroom' thing, but I believe it's more likely the character of the amp, not the power which improves the sound to my ears.

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #15,007 of 20,675

I too continually have this challenge, to stay portable. It's now turned into trans(portable). I don't yet have the desire for a tabletop setup, thus, am considering the WA8 to compliment my Hugo 2 at some point. Have heard good things. But the challenge is maintaining the transparency/detail of the Utopia (and my other detail-monster, KSE1200), at least to an extent.

Anyone have experience with H2 + WA8 + Utopia?

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #15,008 of 20,675
Maybe I can find my cable to hook up the H2 with the WA8 but the one time I tried it, I didn't find it to be "better" but I didn't listen for a long period of time. The WA8 is just so buttery and for certain type of music (most) I really like it, maybe even more than the H2.

May 1, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #15,009 of 20,675
I am an owner of an older Utopia, is there any tricks for fit so the top of the earcups lean in better to give a better sound.

Should I stuff something between the yolk and the ear cup to keep it leaning forward?

May 1, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #15,010 of 20,675
I am an owner of an older Utopia, is there any tricks for fit so the top of the earcups lean in better to give a better sound.

Should I stuff something between the yolk and the ear cup to keep it leaning forward?
Interesting! I kind of angle them so that the headband is forward of the earcups - gives a good bit more bass and dynamics, I think.

May 1, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #15,011 of 20,675

Beautiful !!! My exact same set-up. Although I tend to run the high roll off filter at times to take some of the brightness out. A tube-like amp would round it out beautifully, although may take some of the clarity out. I connected my Utopia to the WA11 and it gave it a luscious, musicality and warmth but introduced noise and other undesirables. So all a trade-off. I'd be interested to see how this sounds out of a Tube or C9.

The Utopia is definitely capable of bass. My A&K SP2000 gives Utopia a more natural sound and I suspect it's more the tuning / synergy of the H2 than the Utopia.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #15,012 of 20,675
So I forgot to turn my amp down while switching HPs and I accidentally clipped my Utopias (the dreaded crackle).
Did I just screw up my pair or what :frowning2:

May 1, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #15,014 of 20,675
It's unlikely ... but the best way to find out is to listen to it.

Experimenting with the Utopia today. It has that subtle treble peak that the H2 accentuates which is not dissimilar to the Empyrean. Decided to forego the clarity of the H2 and enjoy the beautiful warm sound of the WA11 Topaz which seems to pair quite well.

Has anyone here tried the Utopia with the C9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back