Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 29, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #14,987 of 20,675
+1 for the stand.
Deals are there to be had for these I think.
Just ordered an Artisan Silver cable for these so I interested to hear it for under £300 when it arrives.

EB9A6ABD-C8EE-4195-AEA5-FA2D15BBE92C.jpeg

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #14,988 of 20,675
no deals available here Stateside. This stand is back ordered everywhere. Estimated restock not until the end of June.

I just pulled the trigger on one at full price and I was lucky to find it

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #14,989 of 20,675
Stands? I use the back of a chair! :beyersmile:

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #14,990 of 20,675
That's interesting to hear your thoughts! I have both an Empyrean and a Utopia (and a ZMF Verite Open), and found both Utopia and Empyrean very easy to drive out of anything. Some of the edge will come off of your Utopia after 100 hours or so of burn-in; I've found that any headphone needs at least that long to sound its best. To my tastes, the Empyreans were too 'dark' sounding and a bit muddy no matter what I played them through - Hugo 2, iFi iCAN, Lyr 3, Quicksilver Tube Headphone Amp and didn't sound all that different between any of them. The Utopias, though, for my tastes, were very different depending on the amp. Through the Lyr 3, I was getting ready to return them - harsh, shouty, very little soundstage, etc. Putting them through the Quicksilver amp, though, it was the best of all 6 headphones I own, and will be selling Abyss Diana V2, Hifiman HE-1000 V2, and Empyreans, and keeping Utopia and ZMF (I also had LSA HD-1's, but I already sold them). Utopia and that Quicksilver tube amp sound like they were designed for each other. But maybe I just like the sound of dynamics more than planars? ZMF sounds awesome through that amp, too. I dunno - everybody's got different ears and different brains!!
I have the utopia. really interested in the Verite. care to compare the Utopia vs verite?
cheers!

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #14,991 of 20,675
1000 pages! Well-deserved..

20210430_062141-01-01.jpeg

Here is to my very first high-end TOTL headphones.. The one that started my long winding journey down the rabbit hole. I am yet to resurface! probably because I'm enjoying myself too much down there..

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #14,992 of 20,675
That is a beautiful rig.

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #14,993 of 20,675
About Utopia registration.

I read in this thread that during the registration process, you had to submit an image of your receipt. However I was not asked to show a copy of receipt. I filled in the regstration form online, and clicked SAVE. Then next page is said, your registration is complete. Then it quickly moved to another page said the following.

THANK YOU FOR REGISTERING YOUR FOCAL PRODUCTS​

PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW ON YOUR PRODUCTS

I presume this means I am all completed with registration. Am guessing I will soon get a PDF file of the five year warranty.

Am I correct please?

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #14,994 of 20,675
About Utopia registration.

I read in this thread that during the registration process, you had to submit an image of your receipt. However I was not asked to show a copy of receipt. I filled in the regstration form online, and clicked SAVE. Then next page is said, your registration is complete. Then it quickly moved to another page said the following.

THANK YOU FOR REGISTERING YOUR FOCAL PRODUCTS​

PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW ON YOUR PRODUCTS

I presume this means I am all completed with registration. Am guessing I will soon get a PDF file of the five year warranty.

Am I correct please?
I would take a photo of my receipt and/or keep it as proof of purchase too

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #14,995 of 20,675
You should receive an email within seconds of a warranty PDF with the serial number and date of purchase and price paid. As you entered it.
And a note to say to keep with your proof of purchase.
My dealer sends email receipts which works for me! Otherwise recommend Scanner Pro or any other scanning phone camera app.

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #14,996 of 20,675
i haven't registered my utopia with focal but i do have the purchase receipt, which was required for the driver replacement

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #14,997 of 20,675
You should receive an email within seconds of a warranty PDF with the serial number and date of purchase and price paid. As you entered it.
And a note to say to keep with your proof of purchase.
My dealer sends email receipts which works for me! Otherwise recommend Scanner Pro or any other scanning phone camera app.

Ah yes thank you. I have the email. For some reason I thought it took about a month. At least that's all sorted then. Warranty for 60 months.

I would take a photo of my receipt and/or keep it as proof of purchase too

Probably a wise idea.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #14,998 of 20,675
The Trailii's are somewhere between Amsterdam and God knows what customs ... I don't think they're due to arrive till well into next week. I'm hopeful they will be somewhere between the Utopia and Empy's but can be driven out of anything ... i.e. sound magnificent out of my SP2000 without having to buy an amp.

The Empyrean's and Utopia are tonally quite different. The Empy's really need power to open up and show their best. The SP2000/Hugo2 isn't enough ... plug them into the same type of amp you'd drive the LCD-4 out of. They deserve it. They have a silky smooth, musical tonality and timbre to them that is best listened to rather than described. Underpowered, they sound congested and dull with inadequate dynamic drive. They're the headphone I would use if I want to lie on a recliner and just chilax. The separation isn't quite Utopia but apart from Susvara, I'm not sure what is.

The Utopia are my 'plug into anything' option. The other was the HE1kse but nobody had one for me to audition. They've heavy, clam somewhat tight and not as comfortable. But at least they won't fall off if I tilt my head. I'm finding them slightly bright which may/may not improve with burn-in. The detail and separation and very enjoyable. A cooler (but slightly warm) side of neutral as opposed to the Empy's warm neutral. And enough of a bass kick when required, which the HD800S sorely lacks.

These Utopia's are literally 3 hours out of a box. So these are fresh impressions.

The Susvara are undeniably better than Utopia and Empyrean but are a bitch to drive. Like seriously need to spend double the headphone cost on an amp to get the most out of them. The last time I auditioned the Susvara, the chain was ROON -> Mind2 -> Moon 430HAD.
Thanks for your impressions.

When you receive the Traillii you will find that you can drive it with anything. Connect your phone or just a Dragonfly red connected to your phone for example and they will sound superb. I usually ise my N8 and that is also a great match. I did need to use different ear tips though ( I used the Sedna light shorts). Enjoy and thanks again for the comparisons.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #14,999 of 20,675
Not to mention the unnecessary pressure these types of stands put on your ear pads.
Then you have to make sure it is only a one night stand.....😜

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #15,000 of 20,675
I have the utopia. really interested in the Verite. care to compare the Utopia vs verite?
cheers!
I find them very, very similar; I don't know whether it's because they are both dynamic or what, but I was just A/B comparing them the other night, and while there were some subtle differences between them in timbre, etc, to me they have a very similar feeling and I could not make a decision as to which I prefer. I don't even know why I'm keeping them both, but I like them both so much I can't part with either! And those ZMF's are some seriously beautiful looking cans.... On the other hand, I found them both very, very different from the planars I've had like HE-1000 V2, Diana V2, and Emypyrean, all of which I'm selling.... They are all great headphones, absolutely, but it's down to personal preference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back