Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #14,866 of 20,644
First time writing here.. kinda on the fence between Utopias and 800s. Ngl, idk which would be better. How does the Utopia perform with fps gaming? I'm an avid gamer myself, so this is rather important to me hahaa..

Will be pairing this up with a Cayin iha-6 and Cayin idac-6 mk2. Had anyone tried with this stack before?

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #14,867 of 20,644
First time writing here.. kinda on the fence between Utopias and 800s. Ngl, idk which would be better. How does the Utopia perform with fps gaming? I'm an avid gamer myself, so this is rather important to me hahaa..

Will be pairing this up with a Cayin iha-6 and Cayin idac-6 mk2. Had anyone tried with this stack before?
Not sure how much bass you want with your games, but you won't get much of it from the 800s; if you want a big, expansive sound stage, it's excellent, but overall, I think the sound is pretty lightweight compared to Utopia.... The Utopia is also a fair bit more expensive than 800s. Don't know anything about Cayin gear...

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #14,868 of 20,644
Not sure how much bass you want with your games, but you won't get much of it from the 800s; if you want a big, expansive sound stage, it's excellent, but overall, I think the sound is pretty lightweight compared to Utopia.... The Utopia is also a fair bit more expensive than 800s. Don't know anything about Cayin gear...
Cuz I'm coming from HD700 +R2R11 atm... Would say HD700's bass is okay, but looking for a bit more. Cuz I don't really have any demos near me to try out. So kinda gotta rely on others comments and opinions. I'm fine with Hd700's soundstage. But is Utopias gonna be way smaller than that?

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #14,869 of 20,644

I demoed the utopia with the iha6 i found it (that day) too energetic and fatiguing due to the sound being too much.

after changing amps i later bought the utopia and highly rate it and have had no similar issues. Maybe it was the amp pairing (probably) or maybe it was just me, that day

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #14,870 of 20,644

The Utopia are overkill for your application. I sold my last pair of HD 800 S headphones to a gamer and the lower price and wider soundstage may be more ideal anyway.

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #14,871 of 20,644

The Utopia was GREAT when I used it recently with call of duty cold war. I could tell everywhere the sound was coming from. It was just a random time I used it. It is a bit of a waste using something this good for games. I felt it was an unnecessary wear of the pads lol.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #14,873 of 20,644
Thanks for the input. I do game here and there but I don't plan to get Utopia mainly for that purpose.. haha..
I guess maybe I can give it a shot haha
I like the thought of somebody gaming with a pair of TOTL headphones and a big tube amp!

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #14,874 of 20,644
I like the thought of somebody gaming with a pair of TOTL headphones and a big tube amp!
I actually played Knights of the Old Republic with my Abyss TC and WA33 the other day. I guess you could call that the definition of overkill. 😂

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #14,875 of 20,644
Here's another way to look at it, at least in terms of power consumption:

A gaming PC with a big-azz GPU can draw 300 watts easily, and will do so continuously for as long as a typical 3D game is running. So adding a beefy tube amp like the WA33 which draws about 150 watts will "only" increase the amount of power being consumed relative to that PC itself by 50%. :D

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #14,877 of 20,644

I have both and prefer HD800S for gaming specifically for the wide soundstage

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #14,878 of 20,644
Why not buy a cheap gaming headset that the pro’s use? If it is good enough for pro gamers who earn million of dollars winning international tournaments, it is good enough for the average gamer.

Apr 20, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #14,880 of 20,644
Just dont feel like switching back and forth.. and I personally dont like the feel of closed back headphones.
I do the switch to k712 pro for games. But there are many better headphones like the hd800s mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back