Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 17, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #14,851 of 20,796
Had anyone compared old cable to new cable? Isn't the new cable the microphonic type you get with the Stellia?
I don't know whether it's old or new, but the cable that came with mine looked like a lamp cord....

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #14,852 of 20,796
If i may, where is the confidence from?:) (ask seriously, not tying to be a smartass)

I've heard at least 5 different pairs of Utopia and they all sounded the same.

If they'd changed anything about the headphones or the tuning you can bet they would've announced it. Focal marketing seems to like making a big deal out of changes to current lines.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #14,853 of 20,796
If i may, where is the confidence from?:) (ask seriously, not tying to be a smartass)

Also, the description in the picture that was posted says "Focal recently made some minor tweaks to the design of The Utopia along with a price increase...".

That price increase is due to the added carrying case and updated cables. That's the only change they made.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #14,854 of 20,796
Utopia members still remember this?

SmartSelect_20210417-174630_Chrome.jpg

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #14,858 of 20,796
Some distributors beg to differ.

Utopia.png
please ask that retailer and let us all know what their response is

and whilst at it why not send their reply to focal and get their opinion in it too.

i await to read what that retailer says

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #14,859 of 20,796
Apart from that recent post here showing a retailer talking about some “tweaks” (almost) every other mention of a change here starts with a post “i heard a rumour that...”

i think the only thing that focal mentioned some time ago (maybe a couple of years ago) was acknowledging issues that happened with failed drivers early on.
that led to them now offering a 5 year transferable warranty (see 1st post on this thread) and making an internal headphone change to try to prevent that happening.
it seems like that might still happen from time to time with some units

my research auggests these (sum of these) errors may be due to wiring connecting the headphone drivers. That’s just what i’ve heard/read about.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #14,860 of 20,796
Hello everyone.
For the life of me, I can't find a discussion about the differences in Utopias versions over the years since 2016.
I understand the 2020 iteration mainly differ in the accessories? But are there any version of the Utopias where the headphone itself is changed?
My biggest concern is to buy a new one from the dealer and not knowing which version I'm buying (don't trust them to give me the right info).

Also,
Couldn't find impressions on Auris Headonia 2A3 amp with the Utopias. Anyone?
there are such discussions in this very thread. as @dontfeedphils posted, the only revisions to the utopia that can be confirmed here are to the packaging and accessories.
confident? i don't know about that, but what i do know about the utopia is based on my interest in it since its introduction in 2016. that said, i don't know if focal have made any silent internal revisions to the utopia over the course of its production. if that is the kind of information you are seeking, then you could enquire with focal. good luck with that.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #14,861 of 20,796
Apart from that recent post here showing a retailer talking about some “tweaks” (almost) every other mention of a change here starts with a post “i heard a rumour that...”

i think the only thing that focal mentioned some time ago (maybe a couple of years ago) was acknowledging issues that happened with failed drivers early on.
that led to them now offering a 5 year transferable warranty (see 1st post on this thread) and making an internal headphone change to try to prevent that happening.
it seems like that might still happen from time to time with some units

my research auggests these (sum of these) errors may be due to wiring connecting the headphone drivers. That’s just what i’ve heard/read about.
So the hypothesis is that the newer Utopias are less prone to driver failures?
Wish there was some way to verify this viz.a.viz user experiences.

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #14,862 of 20,796
So the hypothesis is that the newer Utopias are less prone to driver failures?
Wish there was some way to verify this viz.a.viz user experiences.
Now don’t start that again!!!
or i am going to have to leave again

:)

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #14,864 of 20,796
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #14,865 of 20,796

Users who are viewing this thread

Back