Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #14,671 of 20,576
I’ll offer an opinion here. If a replaced set of drivers were to fail again, I absolutely believe Focal would replace them at no cost. I believe that because of all the controversy surrounding the drivers in the first place. I would be very surprised if Focal were to actually provide a “formal” warraty extension but @up late has asked the question of Marine, the Focal representative So I assume we will get a carefully worded response eventually.
That is precisely the issue. The driver problem is a well known issue for the Utopias and unless there is a known fix since the problem started can expect some replaced drivers to continue to fail. So if this should happen again within a year or two beyond the original 5 year warranty we are screwed. A $4,000 headphone should have more reliability and I am surprised that Focal hasn’t come up with a new driver design that doesn’t fail. When was the last time a speaker driver failed? I have never seen it on high end components. Where are the drivers manufactured?

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #14,672 of 20,576
That is precisely the issue. The driver problem is a well known issue for the Utopias and unless there is a known fix since the problem started can expect some replaced drivers to continue to fail. So if this should happen again within a year or two beyond the original 5 year warranty we are screwed. A $4,000 headphone should have more reliability and I am surprised that Focal hasn’t come up with a new driver design that doesn’t fail. When was the last time a speaker driver failed? I have never seen it on high end components. Where are the drivers manufactured?
I agree with all you’ve said but it’s important to point out that Focal has already taken the high road here by extending the warranty to FIVE years for ALL owners including those who are not the original purchasers. I haven’t heard of an instance where Focal has refused to replace failed drivers and they are painfully aware of the hit their reputation has taken because of the driver failure issue. Formally extending the warranty for repaired units puts them in a difficult position if a class action lawsuit should occur. We also don’t know what the total failure rate actually is in relation to total sales or even what an “acceptable” failure rate is though it’s very clear they are concerned based on the unusual warranty extension action already taken. I think they will attempt to approach this on a case by case basis and hope the furor dies down.

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #14,673 of 20,576
I know that audeze provides a brand new warranty when they replace drivers so I would assume that focal would as well

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #14,674 of 20,576
I had an Audeze LCD3 with a driver failure at 3 1/2 years. Audeze has a 3 year warranty. I contacted them and they covered the repair for free. That was above and beyond what I expected. That kind of service is what really sets some companies apart. While I never had any problems with any of my Focal headphones (I have owned 4) I would expect top notch customer service. They are luxury goods after all and the experience is part of the product.
I have received over the years the best customer service from audeze from any other manufacturer...

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #14,675 of 20,576
I agree. I have never heard of such a thing. There would quickly become a mater of replacements when they change models. Then they would have to keep a large inventory of old drivers for potential warrant. I have worked in high tech manufacturing for 40 years. It moves on..
As @jlbrach rightly pointed out, Audeze used to renew the warranty on the drivers after replacing them. That however was years ago and according to their current warranty policy they no longer do. Guess there's a first time for everything in life.:wink:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #14,676 of 20,576

Two personal Focal service experiences - these were over the course of 20 years, so don't feel abnormally frequent. Stuff happens...

I had a driver in my main Focal speakers fail after 7 years of ownership (original owner). The speakers had a 5 year warranty, so I had to pay for the part. Fortunately (for me), Focal service sent me the replacement driver for a quick self install. I would expect Focal to be reasonable with out of warranty repairs, but I also wouldn't expect them to be free. Obviously going to be harder to self service headphones.

Had another Focal speaker fail in warranty. The warranty did not restart after repair, which is SOP. Waiting for Focal to confirm here, but I expect the same for Utopia headphones.

Both repairs were at least a decade ago and both speakers are still in use with no further issues.

In regards to the Utopia headphone "driver problem", we don't have access enough data to know whether the failure rate is within industry acceptable standards or not. It's impossible to gauge without knowing sales and service counts. Given that current Utopia owners are a huge target market for whatever Focal releases as a flagship in the future, I doubt we'll get abandoned. Wouldn't make business sense to lose the existing customer base and see the negative comments that would be very public.

Apr 3, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #14,677 of 20,576
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I just had mine repaired within the original 5 year warranty period. Only the left driver failed but my invoice states that both drivers were replaced. When I inquired about the warranty on the replacement drivers this is what they stated “ The warranty on the headphones continues as it did. No changes have been made as we are not extending the warranty. If the other driver should fail, it will be covered under the present warranty if it should still be valid in that given time.” So in my case the new drivers are under warranty for another 8-9 months as that is when my original warranty expires. I also asked if the known driver issues have been resolved to prevent more failures for newer replacement drivers but got no response. So although I am very happy all is well now it looks like the repair has a limited warranty. That’s a shame.

Regards

Stephano
Glad to hear your drivers were replaced and you're back in action.
Thanks for quoting the Focal response to your question about the 5yr warranty starting over.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #14,678 of 20,576
Any opinions on using worn earpads versus fresh ones?

Will worn be better or worse?

I bought a model with the old cable and box, so I assume the earpads will be aged. Though the set looks mint condition.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #14,679 of 20,576
The longer I listen to the Utopias, the more I like them. On the warmer setup, the capping performs well in metal music. The only question is whether this kind of sound can withstand drivers because Utopias are not very durable headphones.
Has Focal ever stated public ally why they have a driver failure rate that seems higher than other TOTL headphone manufacturers? You would think a lack of either better QC out the door or driver design changes would solve the ongoing problem if it exists anymore.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #14,681 of 20,576
Glad to hear your drivers were replaced and you're back in action.
Thanks for quoting the Focal response to your question about the 5yr warranty starting over.
Unfortunately, there seems to be contradictory responses from different folks within the company. I suppose if and when another driver fails, will know who was telling the truth. Upon return after authorized repair Focal only sends a receipt/invoice documenting the driver replacement at no charge. There is no other verbiage on the invoice.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #14,682 of 20,576
Hey all,

Wondering how the utopia sounds compared to the empyreans, has anyone had experience with both?

I owned the Empy's for close to 2 years and really liked them utill I heard the Susvara. I sold my Empy's and bought the Susvara.
I recently demoed the Utopia and did prefer them for detail and clarity over the much warmer Empy but of the 3 I still liked the susvara better as long as I had enough power to drive them.

I may have to try the Utopia again as these were really quite nice!

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #14,683 of 20,576
I owned the Empy's for close to 2 years and really liked them utill I heard the Susvara. I sold my Empy's and bought the Susvara.
I recently demoed the Utopia and did prefer them for detail and clarity over the much warmer Empy but of the 3 I still liked the susvara better as long as I had enough power to drive them.

I may have to try the Utopia again as these were really quite nice!
Thank you! What about the susvara makes them so much better for you?

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #14,684 of 20,576
I found the clarity, detail and soundstage were simply of the susvara stunning. Even now, after owning them for 3 months, I am still amazed. They have made it hard to enjoy other hp, even my beloved VO.
My GF is not into audio at all and doubted she would hear a difference but after listening to the VO, Empy and Susvara she said the other hp sonded distant and muted in comparison.

If I did not own the susvara I think I would have kept the Utopia and may still own them at some point. They are a very nice hp!

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #14,685 of 20,576
Hey all,

Wondering how the utopia sounds compared to the empyreans, has anyone had experience with both?
Somebody else asked that same question not long ago - I've got both of them, along with about 4 other headphones; I'll be keeping the Utopia, which goes with my Quicksilver tube headphone amp like they were designed for each other. DEEP sound staging to get yerself lost in, and detail galore. Empyreans are beautiful and probably the most comfortable to wear of all of them. They sound excellent, but overall, they are too 'dark' for my tastes. Lots of other people will love that, though. The other pair that I'm keeping are ZMF Verite Open....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back