Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #14,656 of 20,595
Definitely not. It looks rather small but still tries to resemble the bold design this brand is famous for. One pull with the cable and it’s off the table.
It weighs 10 1/2 pounds. "Pull of the cable and it's off the table"? I think not, unless the cable cannot be removed from the amp.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #14,658 of 20,595
it's not an issue of who did their due diligence. it's about an inconsistency in the advice provided by focal's authorised dealers (presumably in two different countries). hopefully @FocalOfficial can provide authoritative advice on the matter.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #14,661 of 20,595
One of the two members contradicting what the other said.
I would think it's highly unlikely to receive another 5yr warranty after an under warranty repair. A 5yr warranty from date of purchase is simply that, from date of purchase.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #14,663 of 20,595
(so we don’t keep going round and round on this one, here’s my 2 cents)

Ymmv

but re warranty of new/replaced drivers i’ll go with whatever we hear from @FocalOfficial direct.

what one dealer, rep, store, distributor says in one country (on anything) i take with a pinch of salt and won’t accept it as FACT. But if he is in my country i would hold him to that regardless!! :)

my local dealer (not distributor) knew nothing of the 5 year warranty I had to point out the post here for him. And most of us know how unclear/ non specific their warranty periods were on the utopia (on their website) til focal made the decision to offer a 5 year global warranty that they confirmed here.

Not that i am at all concerned as i have had no issues with mine at all (touch wood)

ps my he1000se driver failed and the unit was replaced with a new one but hifiman does not restart the warranty period.
having said all this i feel focal and hifiman have a decent level of customer service and i can not recall reading anything where customers were left in the lurch....u like some other audio companies that pop up in threads

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #14,664 of 20,595
I would think / hope one would never need a warranty twice. I have had more than a half dozen high end headphones and never had an issue with any of them... which is the way high end products should work.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #14,665 of 20,595
(so we don’t keep going round and round on this one, here’s my 2 cents)

Ymmv

but re warranty of new/replaced drivers i’ll go with whatever we hear from @FocalOfficial direct.

what one dealer, rep, store, distributor says in one country (on anything) i take with a pinch of salt and won’t accept it as FACT. But if he is in my country i would hold him to that regardless!! :)

my local dealer (not distributor) knew nothing of the 5 year warranty I had to point out the post here for him. And most of us know how unclear/ non specific their warranty periods were on the utopia (on their website) til focal made the decision to offer a 5 year global warranty that they confirmed here.

Not that i am at all concerned as i have had no issues with mine at all (touch wood)

ps my he1000se driver failed and the unit was replaced with a new one but hifiman does not restart the warranty period.
having said all this i feel focal and hifiman have a decent level of customer service and i can not recall reading anything where customers were left in the lurch....u like some other audio companies that pop up in threads
as i posted earlier, i've sent a pm about this to marine @FocalOfficial and i'm awaiting her response. if i do hear from her, i'll post her advice here.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #14,666 of 20,595
Yes When repaired warranty starts over again for 5 years
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I just had mine repaired within the original 5 year warranty period. Only the left driver failed but my invoice states that both drivers were replaced. When I inquired about the warranty on the replacement drivers this is what they stated “ The warranty on the headphones continues as it did. No changes have been made as we are not extending the warranty. If the other driver should fail, it will be covered under the present warranty if it should still be valid in that given time.” So in my case the new drivers are under warranty for another 8-9 months as that is when my original warranty expires. I also asked if the known driver issues have been resolved to prevent more failures for newer replacement drivers but got no response. So although I am very happy all is well now it looks like the repair has a limited warranty. That’s a shame.

Regards

Stephano

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #14,667 of 20,595
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I just had mine repaired within the original 5 year warranty period. Only the left driver failed but my invoice states that both drivers were replaced. When I inquired about the warranty on the replacement drivers this is what they stated “ The warranty on the headphones continues as it did. No changes have been made as we are not extending the warranty. If the other driver should fail, it will be covered under the present warranty if it should still be valid in that given time.” So in my case the new drivers are under warranty for another 8-9 months as that is when my original warranty expires. I also asked if the known driver issues have been resolved to prevent more failures for newer replacement drivers but got no response. So although I am very happy all is well now it looks like the repair has a limited warranty. That’s a shame.

Regards

Stephano
I’ll offer an opinion here. If a replaced set of drivers were to fail again, I absolutely believe Focal would replace them at no cost. I believe that because of all the controversy surrounding the drivers in the first place. I would be very surprised if Focal were to actually provide a “formal” warraty extension but @up late has asked the question of Marine, the Focal representative So I assume we will get a carefully worded response eventually.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #14,668 of 20,595
Working with some of these manufacturers and similar manufacturers, I have never known a single one to do a repair within warranty and then restart the warranty again, it just doesn’t happen. In my honest opinion, it’s too grey an area to start picking and choosing components which are replaced and and now covered for an “apparent” additional 5 years so you could have drivers replaced at 4 years 11 months and then have an additional 5 years?
It’s just not going to happen.
Is just the driver covered for another 5 of the whole headphone?
If Focal are doing this, I personally think they are off their rockers. A warranty is a warranty and anything replaced or fixed during that time will run to the end period, not restart.
I’m very keen to hear their official statement..

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #14,669 of 20,595
Working with some of these manufacturers and similar manufacturers, I have never known a single one to do a repair within warranty and then restart the warranty again, it just doesn’t happen. In my honest opinion, it’s too grey an area to start picking and choosing components which are replaced and and now covered for an “apparent” additional 5 years so you could have drivers replaced at 4 years 11 months and then have an additional 5 years?
It’s just not going to happen.
I agree. I have never heard of such a thing. There would quickly become a mater of replacements when they change models. Then they would have to keep a large inventory of old drivers for potential warrant. I have worked in high tech manufacturing for 40 years. It moves on..

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #14,670 of 20,595
I had an Audeze LCD3 with a driver failure at 3 1/2 years. Audeze has a 3 year warranty. I contacted them and they covered the repair for free. That was above and beyond what I expected. That kind of service is what really sets some companies apart. While I never had any problems with any of my Focal headphones (I have owned 4) I would expect top notch customer service. They are luxury goods after all and the experience is part of the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back