Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #14,626 of 20,595
I have my Utopia since February of 2017 and despite multiple changes in my set up (like you I changed my computer + Audirvana plus for an Aurender N100H with great results) I never found them too hot. But I learned quickly in this hobby the importance of taking care of the power. Ultimately, the sound we are hearing as music is in fact electricity. So around 2014, on the recommendation of a canadian cable maker (Steven Huang of Audio Sensibility), I have decided to try an upgrade power outlet, a Furutech GTX-D gold. The improvment was immediate and not subtle in comparison of the Hubbel hospital grade I had. Gone the fatiguing ringing and welcome much lower noise floor, calmer and tighter sound. Then shortly after I bought the matching steel wall plate and carbon fiber cover. Not cheap but same kind of improvments. The vibrations of electricity reduced to a minimum. That is the trick. Later on along the way, I bought another Furutech GTX-D but in Rhodium platting. Much different sound than gold but still with the benefits of a much lower noise floor and absence of ringing. Gold and Rhodium have each their advantages and disadvantages sonically in comparison of each other. Gold is warmer and more organic with fuller bass and midrange but is slower and much less airier and detailed than Rhodium.

I wish that I can combine the best attributes of both. That’s where arrived the new Furutech GTX-D NCF Rhodium. Steven Huang told me that I absolutely have to try the new NCF formula. The praises and reviews from users were starting to show on different forums and I ordered one. Wow! Clarity, air, speed of Rhodium but with the organic and fuller sound of gold. Best of both worlds. A significantely better outlet brand new but much better after long burn in. I now have two NCF outlets out of my walls in one in my power distribution box. I can’t encouraged you enough to try them and look at reviews and comments on the web. If you go that route, go all in and buy the steel wall plate and NCF cover too. These make a diffrence in performance. I know it’s expensive but the end result on your system will most probably surprises you at a level you are not expecting.

On a final note, regarding tweaks, along with Synergistic Oranges fuses, I bought some Bybee IQSE to put inside components. It really help to clean the poiwer and found that I get results similar to changing the wall outlet but to a lesser and more variable degree depending on the component it’s put in and the set up. It’s an affordable way to help cleaning your power.
Thanks for your detailed comment. When budget allows, I would definitely complete my upgrade in power section. Now, I have to be content with what I have as I've just realized how much I spent :L3000:

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #14,629 of 20,595
Has anyone done any pad swapping out there? Thoughts and recommendations?
Not on Utopia I haven't, but I've swapped on the Empyrean, and it makes a very distinct change in the sound. ZMF has a good number of replacement pads for different kinds of sounds with their phones. I like the stock pads on Utopia and haven't felt an urge to try different ones...

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #14,630 of 20,595
Has anyone done any pad swapping out there? Thoughts and recommendations?
I've tried Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin and Elex pads.

I didn't care for the Dekonis:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-14485897

but the Elex were a pretty good alternative:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-14538002

I've done tons of swapping on my EFO and Empyrean (since sold), as well as my Auteur and HE-560s, but I assume you were asking about pad-swapping on Utopia.

Mar 30, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #14,631 of 20,595
I've tried Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin and Elex pads.

I didn't care for the Dekonis:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-14485897

but the Elex were a pretty good alternative:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-14538002

I've done tons of swapping on my EFO and Empyrean (since sold), as well as my Auteur and HE-560s, but I assume you were asking about pad-swapping on Utopia.
Thank you for sharing your impression of the sound performance for the Elex pads for the Utopias.

I previously have wondered about possible sharpness for the sound for the Utopias. Being able to try them utilising different pads, that people already have tried, and have felt that would be good to help with that possible problem, instead of needing to try the Utopias with different amplifiers, would be nice to be able to do, so I would be happy to be able to try this within the future, in the case that I purchase a set of Utopias, at some point in time.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #14,633 of 20,595
@paradoxper

Do you believe that the successor for the Utopias possibly would be released within this year?
Considering the whispers to start the year surrounded 2 products later confirmed as Celestee and Mg, it's likely U2 will be a 2022 release.

Ask @Nomax

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #14,634 of 20,595
I just recently became an owner of the utopias.
So here's to hoping their values won't depreciate much after the release of its successor.
20210330_122719.jpg

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #14,638 of 20,595
Thank you for sharing your impression of the sound performance for the Elex pads for the Utopias.

I previously have wondered about possible sharpness for the sound for the Utopias. Being able to try them utilising different pads, that people already have tried, and have felt that would be good to help with that possible problem, instead of needing to try the Utopias with different amplifiers, would be nice to be able to do, so I would be happy to be able to try this within the future, in the case that I purchase a set of Utopias, at some point in time.
Just to be clear, I'm back to the stock pads on my Utopia with my current chains:

A1 Gumby ==> LP | DSHA-3F ==> Utopia
Hugo2go ==> Romi Audio BX2+ ==> Utopia

All balanced (except H2go ==> amp which is SE), with silver headphone cables.

Stock pads are way more comfortable than the Elex pads, which are a bit coarse/rough.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #14,639 of 20,595
Just to be clear, I'm back to the stock pads on my Utopia with my current chains:

A1 Gumby ==> LP | DSHA-3F ==> Utopia
Hugo2go ==> Romi Audio BX2+ ==> Utopia

All balanced (except H2go ==> amp which is SE), with silver headphone cables.

Stock pads are way more comfortable than the Elex pads, which are a bit coarse/rough.
Thank you for informing me that you now use the stock pads for the Utopias. I would not have expected for that to be the case, considering, it appears to me, that you had felt that the Elex pads had made the Utopias perfect for you, regarding their sound performance.

Do you now not feel that the Utopias are "sharp", together with your pieces of equipment that you now utilise for them?

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #14,640 of 20,595
Thank you for informing me that you now use the stock pads for the Utopias. I would not have expected for that to be the case, considering, it appears to me, that you had felt that the Elex pads had made the Utopias perfect for you, regarding their sound performance.

Do you now not feel that the Utopias are "sharp", together with your pieces of equipment that you now utilise for them?
Yes, either all the changes to my chain 'fixed' the problem, or my ears and brain burned in. Utopia still have more high frequency energy than any of my other cans, and there are times that I feel some instruments are over-emphasized. But I'm not finding them 'sharp' anymore, and I would attribute that to my amps. In fact as far as DACs go, my Gumbys are brighter than my Pontus was, so it must be the amps (or my ears/brain).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back