Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 11, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #12,347 of 20,595
One thing I like about Utopia which I never see mentioned is that they sound pretty good at lower volume levels. Maybe everyone else plays at higher volume all the while?? My other phones all seem to lose something - warmth, body, bass, detail - which encourages me to push the volume up but sometimes it’s good to listen at lower volumes and the Utopia are the best I’ve found for that.
i tend to listen at low to medium volume and the utopia is never found wanting

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #12,349 of 20,595
I have a question about warranty. I am in Canada and I bought a open box Utopia from headphones.com. However, they screwed up and sent me a new box pair instead. The new pair arrived DOA and had to be warranted immediately. I mailed the Utopias to Focal Naim in Quebec and a month later they shipped a another new pair of Utopias from Premium Sound in the states directly to me.

So now I have a brand new Focal Utopia 2020 SKU but with an e-mail invoice from headphones.com that states it is open box on it. Do I have 5 year transferable warranty on these from the invoice date?

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #12,350 of 20,595
I purchased a set of Utopias about 3 weeks ago. About 4 days, the left channel stopped working. Focal was kind enough to replace the broken Utopias with a new one. I also purchased a Danacable Lazuli Reference cable (2 meters) just after I purchased the headphones (based on reviews). Tonight was the first time using the Danacable. I am driving the Utopias with a Focal Arche Headphone Amp/DAC with updated firmware. Without the update, I could not play DSD 256 files. At this moment, the setup is sounding great. I am very concerned about driver failures with Utopias, especially if my new pair fails. Should I be concerned?

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #12,351 of 20,595
I have a question about warranty. I am in Canada and I bought a open box Utopia from headphones.com. However, they screwed up and sent me a new box pair instead. The new pair arrived DOA and had to be warranted immediately. I mailed the Utopias to Focal Naim in Quebec and a month later they shipped a another new pair of Utopias from Premium Sound in the states directly to me.

So now I have a brand new Focal Utopia 2020 SKU but with an e-mail invoice from headphones.com that states it is open box on it. Do I have 5 year transferable warranty on these from the invoice date?

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #12,352 of 20,595
I purchased a set of Utopias about 3 weeks ago. About 4 days, the left channel stopped working. Focal was kind enough to replace the broken Utopias with a new one. I also purchased a Danacable Lazuli Reference cable (2 meters) just after I purchased the headphones (based on reviews). Tonight was the first time using the Danacable. I am driving the Utopias with a Focal Arche Headphone Amp/DAC with updated firmware. Without the update, I could not play DSD 256 files. At this moment, the setup is sounding great. I am very concerned about driver failures with Utopias, especially if my new pair fails. Should I be concerned?
No. 5 year warranty as per first post on this thread!! (As per focal)
that’s good enough for me to have bought them
if you want a lifetime warranty on drivers then sell the utopias and buy some new zmf headphones

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #12,353 of 20,595
but I also see myself aligned with Schiit's preference for R2R/Multibit so I'm not sure I would go back to Delta-Sigma.

Totally - whatever suits you. I just wouldn't put too much stock in the R2R vs Multibit technical debate. There are great arguments on both sides, and at the end of the day, what's most important is to trust your ears. Some people love one and some people love the other. You won't go "wrong" either way :)

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #12,354 of 20,595
Hey, fellow Utopia owners.

Just a quick couple of lines from my Italian holiday to say I got my cans and I’m blown away. I love them. No EQ necessary, contrary to the Elegia I was using before. There’s a wider soundstage, more bass than I was expecting, great dynamic impact and fantastic treble. I can’t wait to try these out with the Jotunheim.

My father too was blown away with the Utopia and said on some songs he even prefers them to his Dynaudio Confidence speakers—a compliment if there ever was one!

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #12,358 of 20,595
Hey, fellow Utopia owners.

Just a quick couple of lines from my Italian holiday to say I got my cans and I’m blown away. I love them. No EQ necessary, contrary to the Elegia I was using before. There’s a wider soundstage, more bass than I was expecting, great dynamic impact and fantastic treble. I can’t wait to try these out with the Jotunheim.

Agree on the EQ. I have a few headphones (some Audeze & HD800) that I set up Parametric EQ profile to try out that mirrors the Harman Curve in Roon. Sounds really good for most especially the HD800 but when I tried it for the Utopia, it sounds boring and lifeless. The native frequency response of the Utopia is quite good and the Harman tuning seems to make it less dynamic.

Has anyone else tried to EQ the Utopia with any success?

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #12,359 of 20,595
Question for Utopia owners out there... How often do you need to replace the pads? I read that the Clear pads seem to wear out quickly, like a year if used daily. Are the Utopia pads the same way or do they last longer? Any input would be helpful. Thank you

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #12,360 of 20,595
Question for Utopia owners out there... How often do you need to replace the pads? I read that the Clear pads seem to wear out quickly, like a year if used daily. Are the Utopia pads the same way or do they last longer? Any input would be helpful. Thank you
The Utopia pads are leather; the Clear have microfiber pads that absorb moisture like a dehydrated camel on humid, hot days. I only use my Clear headphones in an air conditioned room when possible. I’d expect the Utopia pads to hold up well. No problems with mine so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back