Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 10, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #11,491 of 20,602
Both were nice but then I listen to the Utopia with the Kimber Axios AG. Bought it and never have looked back. I actually got short adapters to use the cable with all my other headphones.

Adapters at the headphone end (Lemo end)? From where if I may ask. When I inquired from Kimber around 2 years ago they were not a fan. I have a 4m Axios for my Utopia which I would love to use with my Z1R as well. If I understand correctly an example of said adapter would be lemo female to 3.5mm male to plug into the Sony’s

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #11,492 of 20,602
Adapters at the headphone end (Lemo end)? From where if I may ask. When I inquired from Kimber around 2 years ago they were not a fan. I have a 4m Axios for my Utopia which I would love to use with my Z1R as well. If I understand correctly an example of said adapter would be lemo female to 3.5mm male to plug into the Sony’s

Search for Affinity Cables on ebay. You can get in touch with the seller and customize your ultrashort adaptors. I have a few from him and they're built very well.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #11,494 of 20,602
I tried the Dana Cable Lazuli Reference and the Nordost Heimdall II. Both were nice but then I listen to the Utopia with the Kimber Axios AG. Bought it and never have looked back. I actually got short adapters to use the cable with all my other headphones.

Wow the config I need (3m) is really pricey and costs just under 3x what I paid for the Utopia.. :frowning2: that's considerably more than what I would be willing to pay for a cable.. It must have sounded amazing for you to have shelled out for it!!

Was thinking if I should just get the JPS Superconductor cable for my 1266 and use ultrashort adaptors to my Utopia..

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #11,496 of 20,602
I will check affinity cables - thanks
Curious if the original poster got his from Kimber - which means they changed their opinion

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #11,497 of 20,602
Curious if the original poster got his from Kimber - which means they changed their opinion
Kimber would prefer to sell you new expensive cables than an inexpensive adapter. Another headfi member made me a pair of male 4 pin mini XLR to trs 3.5 so I could use a silver dragon from my Audeze LCD-X with my Sony headphones. I use them with my Sony Z1R and they work perfectly.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #11,498 of 20,602
Hi all, I just bought my Utopia as I stumbled upon an irresistible deal (USD 2600 brand new). However, I noticed that the voice coil (see below) is black instead of red as I saw in many pictures. Should I be concerned or does Utopia actually comes with different color? Thank you!

81EE6D42-4054-4B57-94E7-8E7214269627.jpeg

Dear nelsonpyh,

Indeed, the voice coil of your Utopia headphones should be Red.
Can you please send me at webmaster@focal.com, the serial number of your headphones, the invoice and the pictures of the packaging? All these elements will help us to enquiry.

Many thanks
Best regards
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Feb 13, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #11,500 of 20,602
Correct, they are from Affinity, Sean is a great guy and does and awesome job.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 15, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #11,501 of 20,602
IMG_5958.JPG

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

PS.about the perfect sounding cable?...that gives the Utopia much more body in the sound?
There is only one cable on this planet in my opinion.....the Double Duet from Crystal Cable

IMG_5972.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #11,503 of 20,602
Did you heard them all?

.....i know most of them......Nordost....Danacable Lazuli...Norne Audio and also the Kimber Axios...and only the best sounding cable for my Utopia stays here

Not always is the more expensive/the new one the better one...in case of Sp1000/Sp2000

SP1000 stays here...Sp2000 was going

NOMAX

PS.and this one will stay a long long time here lol

IMG_5260.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #11,504 of 20,602
Perhabs @xxx1313 can say more to this very special sounding cable from Crystal.....his english is much better than mine

NOMAX

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #11,505 of 20,602
Perhabs @xxx1313 can say more to this very special sounding cable from Crystal.....his english is much better than mine

NOMAX

Headphone Guru, here I am. :wink:

Over the course of time, I have tried many aftermarket cables for the Focal Utopia: Forza Noir HPC, Moon Black Dragon, Toxic Cable Silver Widow, Kimber Axios Cu, Wywires Platinum, Danacable Lazuli Reference and recently also the Crystal Cable Double Duet. The Danacable Lazuli Reference is commonly regarded as the best cable for the Utopia, and I fully agreed until I listened to the Double Duet. The Lazuli Reference is great because it englarges the soundstage of the Utopia, makes the treble smoother, adds a little bit of warmth, but without materially changing the tonality. The Double Duet does add one or two db of bass, which is actually measureable, I was told. It is clearly audible that the Double Duet adds bass and adds weight to the sound, but it also enlarges the soundstage, increases resolution over the whole frequency response curve, does not suck out the mids (as most silver cables do, imo) and makes treble silky-smooth. I never expected to like any silver cable in combination with the Utopia, as I also did not like the Silver Widow (which is also a silver/gold cable like the Double Duet by the way), but the Double Duet is an entirely different animal, imo.

The Lazuli Reference is a great cable for most use cases, but for those who want added bass for their Utopias and/or use DAPs, the Crystal Cable Double Duet is an even better Option, imho. This cable is crazily expensive and for its price I expected it to sound nothing less than excellent, but it still positively surprised me. The Lazuli Reference cable is physically thick and therefore only available with 1/4 jack plug and XLR. The Double Duet is very thin, available with nearly any plug you wish and great for mobile devices and mobile use.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Cheers,
Bernie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back