Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #11,521 of 20,624
Just had to pop in and sing Utopia's praises again.

Spent some time at a shop in Atlanta Friday afternoon (HiFi Buys, good selection and nice guys) killing time before a flight. While I was there I got to listen to Empyrean, Clear, Elegia, LCD-4Z, LCD-X, and HD800s. I'd heard them all before but the Empyrean, and was pretty excited about it, but ended up leaving a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, they're gorgeous headphones, the build quality possibly tops Utopia, and they're certainly more comfortable, but they were just boring to me.

Out of the group I listened to I'd say I enjoy the LCD-4Z the most. I've only heard them maybe 3-4 times, but I always enjoy them. I also had a chance to spend time with the Diana Phi and LCD-4 a couple weeks ago, both of which were alright, but not really that exciting to me. Diana Phi seemed like a FR I could enjoy, but I just couldn't get a fit I was happy with.

Hearing all these top notch headphones only reminds me of how happy I am with my choice in Utopia. They tick all the boxes for me and nothing sounds as realistic and enjoyable to my ears as these headphones.

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #11,523 of 20,624

Spent some time at a shop in Atlanta Friday afternoon (HiFi Buys, good selection and nice guys) killing time before a flight. While I was there I got to listen to Empyrean, Clear, Elegia, LCD-4Z, LCD-X, and HD800s. I'd heard them all before but the Empyrean, and was pretty excited about it, but ended up leaving a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, they're gorgeous headphones, the build quality possibly tops Utopia, and they're certainly more comfortable, but they were just boring to me.

Out of the group I listened to I'd say I enjoy the LCD-4Z the most. I've only heard them maybe 3-4 times, but I always enjoy them. I also had a chance to spend time with the Diana Phi and LCD-4 a couple weeks ago, both of which were alright, but not really that exciting to me. Diana Phi seemed like a FR I could enjoy, but I just couldn't get a fit I was happy with.

Hearing all these top notch headphones only reminds me of how happy I am with my choice in Utopia. They tick all the boxes for me and nothing sounds as realistic and enjoyable to my ears as these headphones.
Agree totally...listening to mine right now, in fact.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #11,524 of 20,624
Am a/b-ing the Utopia and the HE-1000SE.
The Focals sound more complete and balanced, compared to the HEKSE: with regard to detail retrieval, frequency extension, tonality, dynamics. The Utopia provide a "super-saturated" soundstage that is remarkable to hear.
[In all fairness, the HEKSE might need another 75-100 hours before showing their total capacity, but I do not see them taking the top tier from the Utopia anytime soon.]

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #11,525 of 20,624

Agree 100%
I love my Utopia specially with the Axios AG cable. I really tried to like the Empyrean sound but you are right it is nothing exciting about it. I tried it twice with coupe of powerful amps and still not my cup of tea. Too bad because they are beautiful and comfortable.

Last edited:
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 1, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #11,531 of 20,624
I'm considering buying a used Focal Utopia instead of a new Focal Clear, is it a smart decision? what about warranty? very confused atm
I think you would be wise to read Focal’s warranty position for yourself. Here is a link to Focal America where they say quite clearly that the warranty is NOT transferable.
https://www.focal-america.com/support/

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #11,532 of 20,624
The warranty is transferable if you have the invoice of the very first owner :wink: These headphones are under warranty during 5 years from the very first buyer.

The After-Sales Service is ensured by the local dealer or distributor in your country. If you buy your headphones in the US, it will be repaired by Focal Naim America Team. Our distributor network has been trained to change headphones drivers.

Kind regards
Marine, Community Manager Focal

I think you would be wise to read Focal’s warranty position for yourself. Here is a link to Focal America where they say quite clearly that the warranty is NOT transferable.
https://www.focal-america.com/support/

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #11,533 of 20,624
and, this is exactly what makes me crazy when dealing with businesses that aren’t clear about important issues like warranty transfer. Focal America says a warranty is NOT transferable, but their Community Manager says the opposite. Focal America says it’s a two or three year warranty depending on purchase method and the Community Manager says it’s five. Perhaps Marine could clear this up once and for all with an “official” statement because it’s definitely confusing.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #11,534 of 20,624
and, this is exactly what makes me crazy when dealing with businesses that aren’t clear about important issues like warranty transfer. Focal America says a warranty is NOT transferable, but their Community Manager says the opposite. Focal America says it’s a two or three year warranty depending on purchase method and the Community Manager says it’s five. Perhaps Marine could clear this up once and for all with an “official” statement because it’s definitely confusing.

IKR, otherwise the utopia is a no brainer in the used market:/

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #11,535 of 20,624
I see that Gramophone (an authorized Focal headphone reseller) says the warranty is two years and Crutchfield (also an authorized reseller) says the warranty is one year presumably because it’s an internet purchase. Who sells Focal headphones with a five year warranty in the United States?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back