Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 1, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #11,536 of 20,689
I see that Gramophone (an authorized Focal headphone reseller) says the warranty is two years and Crutchfield (also an authorized reseller) says the warranty is one year presumably because it’s an internet purchase. Who sells Focal headphones with a five year warranty in the United States?
Thought moon-audio was 5 years.. turns out it is in fact 3 years...

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #11,537 of 20,689
Soon to be a new (updated) Utopia owner here - hello! My understanding is, having owned some Clears recently, that the Focal warranty is not transferable. A dealer might be open to selling an extended warranty to a new owner though. Hopefully Marine can clarify.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #11,538 of 20,689
and, this is exactly what makes me crazy when dealing with businesses that aren’t clear about important issues like warranty transfer. Focal America says a warranty is NOT transferable, but their Community Manager says the opposite. Focal America says it’s a two or three year warranty depending on purchase method and the Community Manager says it’s five. Perhaps Marine could clear this up once and for all with an “official” statement because it’s definitely confusing.
She has, several times, in this thread. -1 to Focal America for not updating info on their website.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #11,539 of 20,689
Mar 1, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #11,541 of 20,689
Dear all,

As already mentioned several times, we are aware that the very first production batches of Elear and Utopia have had some voice coil issues. Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market.

We heard your complaints and in order to treat you the best way and to offer the best warranty service possible, we decided that Elear and Utopia headphones will now benefit from a 5-year warranty worldwide (starting from the first date of purchase by the first buyer). If you already own a pair of Elear or Utopia headphones, the warranty is extended.

Our distribution network has been officially informed. So, if you are experiencing any driver failure, please contact your local dealer who will ensure the After-Sales Service of your headphones.

I stay at your disposal if you have any questions.

Best regards
Marine, Community Manager Focal
perhaps marine should consider re-posting this once per page for the benefit of some members

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #11,544 of 20,689
Mar 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #11,546 of 20,689
You don't necessarily have to buy used, there are open box or otherwise discounted Utopias to be had directly from authorized sellers. You'll pay more than what you'd pay on the used market, but far less so than new. It may be worth it for the peace of mind and guarantee of not having to negotiate with a private seller.

Utopia is pretty similar to the Clear, so if you liked one you'll probably like the other. They also respond pretty well to EQ and component matching so there's room to fine-tune the sound if aspects of it bother you. If the forward, in-your-face sort of sound is your thing and you can afford them they're really a no-brainer. Though if you're after a more mellow, laid-back sound there are definitely other options.

Mar 2, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #11,547 of 20,689
Soon to be a new (updated) Utopia owner here - hello! My understanding is, having owned some Clears recently, that the Focal warranty is not transferable. A dealer might be open to selling an extended warranty to a new owner though. Hopefully Marine can clarify.

My bad. Just checked with Focal - the Utopia warranty is transferable (with the original invoice).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back