Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #11,477 of 20,550
Just emailed them. Nervously waiting for reply lol. And yeah, the seller is supposedly Focal's authorized distributor in my country.

On another note, is Hugo 2 a good pairing for Utopia?

Just purchased mine as well from an authorized dealer. Mine is red as well; I’m sure Focal will stand behind a purchase from an authorized dealer. Just relax until you hear from them. I am also fairly sure they read posts from forums like this and wouldn’t want the bad publicity that would arise if an authorized dealer sold a questionable product.

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #11,478 of 20,550
Quick question.

What other cables are worth trying with the Utopia?

So far, I've tried
Danacable LR (sold)
Moon Audio Silver Dragon
Lavricable Grand Line (trying to sell)
Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 (sold)

The Moon is for my Abyss and the Lavri has a 4pin mini xlr connection; used these cables with ultra short adaptors.

I've got an Arctic Cable 7n 8 wire and a PlusSound X8 in gold plated silver (both with 4 pin mini xlr) on the way.

Looking for another brand to try, just for dedicated usage with the Utopia.

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #11,479 of 20,550
Quick question.

So far, I've tried
Danacable LR (sold)
Moon Audio Silver Dragon

The Moon is for my Abyss and the Lavri has a 4pin mini xlr connection; used these cables with ultra short adaptors.

I've got an Arctic Cable 7n 8 wire and a PlusSound X8 in gold plated silver (both with 4 pin mini xlr) on the way.

Cable wont fix certain flaws... Silver add nothing just transparency and copper just add warmth even if there shouldnt be any of it... I think you need different headphones maybe?

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #11,480 of 20,550
Cable wont fix certain flaws... Silver add nothing just transparency and copper just add warmth even if there shouldnt be any of it... I think you need different headphones maybe?

Actually, I wasn't trying to fix a flaw..
Im just looking for an excuse to spend a bit of money. I like retail therapy, getting new stuff in the mail, and nice looking stuff.. Plus my wife doesn't mind, so added bonus there.

I've seen the list of cable makers in the first post of this thread. Just wondering if there have been any new or obscure ones which are not on the list.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #11,481 of 20,550
Actually, I wasn't trying to fix a flaw..
Im just looking for an excuse to spend a bit of money. I like retail therapy, getting new stuff in the mail, and nice looking stuff.. Plus my wife doesn't mind, so added bonus there.

I've seen the list of cable makers in the first post of this thread. Just wondering if there have been any new or obscure ones which are not on the list.
Oh... i see. You can try double helix prion4 (very long wait time) or danacables Nirvana.

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #11,482 of 20,550
Oh... i see. You can try double helix prion4 (very long wait time) or danacables Nirvana.

Thanks! Will check out double helix.

Anyone using a Toxic Cable with the Utopia?

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #11,483 of 20,550
Hi all, I just bought my Utopia as I stumbled upon an irresistible deal (USD 2600 brand new). However, I noticed that the voice coil (see below) is black instead of red as I saw in many pictures. Should I be concerned or does Utopia actually comes with different color? Thank you!

81EE6D42-4054-4B57-94E7-8E7214269627.jpeg

Mine is black as well and i bought it 2 weeks ago. I am interested in the reply from focal. Hope there is no important difference between the two. The red voice coil does look a bit better......

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #11,484 of 20,550
Quick question.

So far, I've tried
Danacable LR (sold)
Moon Audio Silver Dragon

I saw your posting for the Danacable LR. The reviews i read made it sound like one and only cable for the Utopia. Moon Audio actually recommends the Black Dragon as their “best” cable for the Utopia so that may be worth considering. In my brief experience with the Utopia, it seems that different DAC/amp configurations make a much more significant difference in the sound signature and has the greatest effect on soundstage, detail, etc., but I suspect you are already well aware of that. I have a silver dragon arriving Monday and a pair of cable converters (Audeze to Utopia) for cables i purchased for my Audeze LCD-X are also on the way. Now, i happen to like the stock Utopia cable but, like you, i like to experiment! I bought my wife her dream house, so i don‘t get any resistance when I buy new toys!

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #11,485 of 20,550
I saw your posting for the Danacable LR. The reviews i read made it sound like one and only cable for the Utopia. Moon Audio actually recommends the Black Dragon as their “best” cable for the Utopia so that may be worth considering. In my brief experience with the Utopia, it seems that different DAC/amp configurations make a much more significant difference in the sound signature and has the greatest effect on soundstage, detail, etc., but I suspect you are already well aware of that. I have a silver dragon arriving Monday and a pair of cable converters (Audeze to Utopia) for cables i purchased for my Audeze LCD-X are also on the way. Now, i happen to like the stock Utopia cable but, like you, i like to experiment! I bought my wife her dream house, so i don‘t get any resistance when I buy new toys!

I think you will be quite surprised with the Silver Dragon, especially given its price point when compared to other higher end cable options.

I had the Black Dragons with the Senn HD660S. I did end up selling both. Was hoping the 660 would be a good replacement for the 650 but I felt the 660 was a bit of a step backwards.. Having tried the Black Dragon and Danacable, I think the conclusion for me is I prefer silver over copper.

I'll chime in on the Arctic and PlusSound cables once I've gotten them.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #11,486 of 20,550
Mine is black as well and i bought it 2 weeks ago. I am interested in the reply from focal. Hope there is no important difference between the two. The red voice coil does look a bit better......
they're the magnets actually :relaxed:

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #11,490 of 20,550
Quick question.

So far, I've tried
Danacable LR (sold)
Moon Audio Silver Dragon

I tried the Dana Cable Lazuli Reference and the Nordost Heimdall II. Both were nice but then I listen to the Utopia with the Kimber Axios AG. Bought it and never have looked back. I actually got short adapters to use the cable with all my other headphones.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back