Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 12, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #10,697 of 20,644
Don't take it the wrong way. Perhaps I should not have assumed as such.

What I meant was, and what I personally feel is, that at this level of the hobby, if it is a strain or a concern to shell out for such expensive gear, then perhaps it should not be shelled out in the first place. And that the money can and should be put to better use elsewhere.

There is a middle ground where a person can afford to splurge on a pricey item they want here and there. Your assumption that it's one extreme or the other is a bit off, IMO.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #10,698 of 20,644
There is a middle ground where a person can afford to splurge on a pricey item they want here and there. Your assumption that it's one extreme or the other is a bit off, IMO.

Yes, it is indeed rather skewed and extreme. but like I said it's my personal opinion. That's how I choose to use, or not use, my hard earned money. To save up "just" for a pair of headphones.. Im just saying if that's the case, then there may be more important things in life. Situation and individual dependent.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #10,699 of 20,644
Don't take it the wrong way. Perhaps I should not have assumed as such.

What I meant was, and what I personally feel is, that at this level of the hobby, if it is a strain or a concern to shell out for such expensive gear, then perhaps it should not be shelled out in the first place. And that the money can and should be put to better use elsewhere.
perhaps you shouldn't have.

i'm happy to say that while the utopia was an expensive purchase for me, it was also a considered decision that hasn't left me with a lingering doubt over whether i made the right choice or not - ymmv.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #10,700 of 20,644
Yes, it is indeed rather skewed and extreme. but like I said it's my personal opinion. That's how I choose to use, or not use, my hard earned money. To save up "just" for a pair of headphones.. Im just saying if that's the case, then there may be more important things in life. Situation and individual dependent.

That's your opinion, but it's asinine to come out and make a statement that implies most people subscribe to the same opinion.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #10,701 of 20,644
That's your opinion, but it's asinine to come out and make a statement that implies most people subscribe to the same opinion.

Err, what exactly is the statement you are referring to?

At the end of the day, I can sleep easy knowing I didn't have to worry about spending whatever amount on a hobby, after having provided for my family and fulfilled all my other obligations before hand.

I'd say that is a pretty safe and good way of life, no?

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #10,702 of 20,644
Err, what exactly is the statement you are referring to?

(I'd think most people at this level of the hobby would have no problems in procuring expensive gear without batting an eyelid...).

Why would you assume that those who save up and splurge on high priced items here and there aren't providing for their family and taking care of their own responsibilities first? Another asinine assumption.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #10,703 of 20,644
Why would you assume that those who save up and splurge on high priced items here and there aren't providing for their family and taking care of their own responsibilities first? Another asinine assumption.

"I'd think..."
My personal opinion. My own assumption.

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
As it is, u may dislike if someone posts on a public forum, a personal opinion that conflicts with your own.
Well, that is your opinion then.
So be it.
Shall we agree to disagree and let the thread get back to the topic of Utopias then?

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #10,704 of 20,644
"I'd think..."
My personal opinion. My own assumption.

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
As it is, u may dislike if someone posts on a public forum, a personal opinion that conflicts with your own.
Well, that is your opinion then.
So be it.
Shall we agree to disagree and let the thread get back to the topic of Utopias then?

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm entitled to call that opinion asinine.

Sure, annoyed these people enough I suppose.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #10,708 of 20,644
I am finding that my Utopias have a creaking sound at the carbon fibre yoke. I mentioned it to the saleman, who contacted Focal. He told me overuse could cause thus. Unfortunately, I have not used my Utopias much, so this is not the issue. Anyhow, he said to try a carbon lubricant. I have a carbon powder lubricant. He said to try it. Does that sound right? I don’t want to void a warrantee or make thungs worse.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #10,709 of 20,644
I am finding that my Utopias have a creaking sound at the carbon fibre yoke. I mentioned it to the saleman, who contacted Focal. He told me overuse could cause thus. Unfortunately, I have not used my Utopias much, so this is not the issue. Anyhow, he said to try a carbon lubricant. I have a carbon powder lubricant. He said to try it. Does that sound right? I don’t want to void a warrantee or make thungs worse.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Mine make some creaking noise, but only when handling them, so I don't really care. If it does bother you I'd suggest a teflon spray. Comes in a spray can with a straw like WD-40, sprays on as a liquid and dries very quickly into a nice thin film.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #10,710 of 20,644
likewise. various suggestions to eliminate it can be found in this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back