Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 30, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #10,666 of 20,628
Neither. I’m choosing a headphone system which includes electronics and cabling. I’m then apportioning a budget that goes like this: 50% for the electronics, 15% for cabling, 35% for the headphone. Your mileage may vary ...

Hahahaha good one! :beerchug:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 30, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #10,667 of 20,628
Neither. I’m choosing a headphone system which includes electronics and cabling. I’m then apportioning a budget that goes like this: 50% for the electronics, 15% for cabling, 35% for the headphone. Your mileage may vary ...
Did you hear a system that was set up like that or were you able to put it together in your head from memory? If it's the latter, that's a pretty amazing talent to have. I have a pretty good auditory memory and can remember what headphones sound like after a long enough session with them but my ears ears aren't good enough to pick out source gear from memory. That would be pretty incredible to imagine how different components would sound together and then have that materialize when you actually go and test it.

My process is more like building blocks where I have to pick the component that makes the biggest difference to me first -- headphone -- and then build off of that sound. I always ask the same questions: 1) do I hear a difference, 2) do I like that difference, 3) is that difference worth the money, and 4) can I afford it?

May 31, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #10,668 of 20,628
Did you hear a system that was set up like that or were you able to put it together in your head from memory? If it's the latter, that's a pretty amazing talent to have. I have a pretty good auditory memory and can remember what headphones sound like after a long enough session with them but my ears ears aren't good enough to pick out source gear from memory. That would be pretty incredible to imagine how different components would sound together and then have that materialize when you actually go and test it.

My process is more like building blocks where I have to pick the component that makes the biggest difference to me first -- headphone -- and then build off of that sound. I always ask the same questions: 1) do I hear a difference, 2) do I like that difference, 3) is that difference worth the money, and 4) can I afford it?

No, nothing like that in terms of aural memory. I’m just stating the percentages I use when putting together a system, or when I advised my clients when I worked in high end audio. The percentages I used are applicable for a speaker based system as well. Of course, these aren’t hard numbers, just a general guideline.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #10,669 of 20,628
I just had a chance to audition both the Chord TT2 and DAVE with my Utopias. I actually preffered the TT2 by a large margin. Could it have been a poorly setup DAVE? The dealer didn’t think so.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #10,670 of 20,628
I just had a chance to audition both the Chord TT2 and DAVE with my Utopias. I actually preffered the TT2 by a large margin. Could it have been a poorly setup DAVE? The dealer didn’t think so.

The TT2 is a few years newer in design, so it may be voiced differently or there may be actual refinements that the Dave doesn’t have, but the Dave 2 will incorporate when released.

That’s a big chunk of change you get to save!

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #10,672 of 20,628
the TT2 is tuned differently and has a more powerful amp section...yes i know there is no separate amp.....that said as a DAC the dave is clearly better by a fair margin

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #10,673 of 20,628
Was the DAVE's crossfeed set to either 2 or 3 as Rob Watts recommends? That could make a big difference.

I haven't heard a TT2, but love the M Scaler + DAVE into Utopias.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #10,674 of 20,628
I actually preffered the TT2 by a large margin.

It would be incredibly helpful if you could expand on what you preferred. More bass? Better soundstage? Smoother treble? Better synergy with the Utopia?

One persons preference will not likely be everyone’s. Descriptions, even simple short ones, are a good thing on a forum. Curious minds want to know! :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #10,675 of 20,628
dave is a better dac than the tt2 and the amp issue doesnt figure in with the utopia's so if the guy prefers the tt2 great news for him , he can save a bunch of cash

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #10,676 of 20,628
It would be incredibly helpful if you could expand on what you preferred. More bass? Better soundstage? Smoother treble? Better synergy with the Utopia?

One persons preference will not likely be everyone’s. Descriptions, even simple short ones, are a good thing on a forum. Curious minds want to know! :)

Good point.

I thought the soundstage was much better with the DAVE, yet even too much for my taste. Maybe it’s because it was the first time I heard such vast separation.

But the biggest thing for me was the increased high end. I have tinnitus at around 10kHz, and was troubled by DAVE in certain tracks, right away (1 or 2 seconds into the track). All tracks seemed too bright for me. No simbilance, however.

The TT2 was smooth, full, and clear. Very easy to listen to. I wanted more...

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #10,677 of 20,628
Hi all.

Wow this is a super long thread. I've not had the chance to go thru all 700+ pages of it.

Anyways, I was fortunate enough to audition the Focal Utopia and the Meze Empyrean last week. To be honest, I thought the Utopias were very good, but when I tried the Empyreans, my jaw dropped. I truly felt the Empyreans were on a whole different level.

Fast forward to today.. I came across a deal for a set of brand new Utopias for a price which I just could not pass up. Ended up bringing the Utopias home..

I'm listening to my music and am really enjoying myself with the new headphones. But I can't help but think I should have gone with my initial feel and gotten the Empyreans instead.

Has anyone else here felt the same about these two headphones? Just curious what people feel about these two really awesome pieces of audio gear, source and amplifiers aside.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #10,678 of 20,628
Hi all.

Wow this is a super long thread. I've not had the chance to go thru all 700+ pages of it.

Anyways, I was fortunate enough to audition the Focal Utopia and the Meze Empyrean last week. To be honest, I thought the Utopias were very good, but when I tried the Empyreans, my jaw dropped. I truly felt the Empyreans were on a whole different level.

Fast forward to today.. I came across a deal for a set of brand new Utopias for a price which I just could not pass up. Ended up bringing the Utopias home..

I'm listening to my music and am really enjoying myself with the new headphones. But I can't help but think I should have gone with my initial feel and gotten the Empyreans instead.

Has anyone else here felt the same about these two headphones? Just curious what people feel about these two really awesome pieces of audio gear, source and amplifiers aside.

Irony is you finally got the Utopia even though you like the Empyrean more, another level?
I don't think so.
Follow your ears.
Should do more searching and ask about source and amp in this forum before go out and get it.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #10,679 of 20,628
Irony is you finally got the Utopia even though you like the Empyrean more, another level?
I don't think so.
Follow your ears.
Should do more searching and ask about source and amp in this forum before go out and get it.

Well, I did say source and amp aside.
Plus it was too good a deal which I did not want to pass up.
To be honest, I can also just pop out and get the Empyreans (I'd think most people at this level of the hobby would have no problems in procuring expensive gear without batting an eyelid...).
I'm just asking if anyone else felt the same about the utopias vs the Empyreans.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #10,680 of 20,628
Well, I did say source and amp aside.
Plus it was too good a deal which I did not want to pass up.
To be honest, I can also just pop out and get the Empyreans (I'd think most people at this level of the hobby would have no problems in procuring expensive gear without batting an eyelid...).
I'm just asking if anyone else felt the same about the utopias vs the Empyreans.

I had the opposite reaction. When I heard the early Empyreans at a meet, I was incredibly impressed. When I heard them twice recently, I thought the midrange had issues. Could be me. Could be the pair.

Regardless, I prefer the Utopia by a fairly significant margin over the two production Empyreans. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back