Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 14, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #10,726 of 20,624
don t care of sacrilege until I listen and enjoy more!
we are very few here enjoying a bit of eq or dsp, the majority prefer to eq with valves, cables..more expansive and less efficient
I couldn’t agree more.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #10,727 of 20,624
don t care of sacrilege until I listen and enjoy more!
we are very few here enjoying a bit of eq or dsp, the majority prefer to eq with valves, cables..more expansive and less efficient

Changing amps/tubes, cables, etc. is more expensive and less efficient - agreed. However, in certain subtle ways, much better sounding. This is because eq and dsp inherently introduce a "processed" sort of digital coloration plus loss of resolution. Everything in audio involves tradeoffs, this included.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #10,729 of 20,624
Changing amps/tubes, cables, etc. is more expensive and less efficient - agreed. However, in certain subtle ways, much better sounding. This is because eq and dsp inherently introduce a "processed" sort of digital coloration plus loss of resolution. Everything in audio involves tradeoffs, this included.
There is a lot of processing in the studio as well. I am not sure there is any more loss in resolution than changing the sound signature with added capacitance of cables or analog circuits. As this is a Utopia thread I would like to say that the manufacturer's cable sounds great but the EQ offered above is a nice upgrade.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #10,730 of 20,624
It depends on the sound you are after. If you want resolving, highly detailed, dynamic, punchy and fast headphone you want the Utopia's. If you want a slightly warmer to neutral sound, but still detailed, with good bass and a wider soundstage then the Meze Empyrean are your cans. It's easier to find a headphone that does what the Meze's do. But the Utopia's are unique at what they can do and how they sound. Tough choice to be honest. But they could be considered complimentary to each other

I own both and I initially thought I’d sell one of them. But truth be told, they are so different, and both have their merits, that I find it impossible to decide. In short, I do prefer the Utopias but they need a really good DAC and amp and source material to reach their full potential. The Meze is much less detailed but also more chilled in nature, and so easy to drive that you forget about all these expensive days and amps. It sounds right no matter what you drive (or feed) it with. Tough one, but for sound alone with a strong set up, the Utopias rule.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #10,731 of 20,624
I own both...and both have their merits... The Meze is much less detailed ... and so easy to drive...
I also own both. Mostly agree with the above, except:

- I wouldn't call Empy 'much less detailed'. Less detailed yes, but not 'much less'. It's a bit deceptive, as Empy highs are somewhat recessed vs Utopia, which give Utopia the sense of significantly more detail. But when I listen for it, the detail is mostly still there from Empy.

- Utopia is 'easy to drive', in fact, I attenuate my source maybe 2-3 dB more on my preamp when listening to Utopia vs level for Empy. (Perhaps you mean that Empy doesn't scale as well as Utopia, so you don't find yourself thinking about that next electronics upgrade to get more out of them?)

I'm actually really salivating to find out what my (eventually) incoming DSHA-3 will do with Empy. Really with all my cans, but I'm pretty happy with my Liquid Platinum paired with all my other cans, given the right tubes. I liked Empy better with my Bryston BHA-1, but sold it to help fund DSHA purchase.

Haven't really found a tube which works great in LP for Empy. Brimar CV-2492 are the best I've found so far. Also, I really like my Laz Ref cable with Utopia, and also with HEKv2 and Auteur, but not with Empy. Definitely prefer Silver Dragon with Empy.

All that is JMHO, to my ears, from my equipment...of course.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #10,732 of 20,624
I'm glad there have been some good comparisons between the Utopia and the Empyrean. I was eyeing them hard but haven't had a chance to listen quite yet.

I'll find a place to demo for some hours before passing final judgement, but the reports of slightly recessed highs makes me happy. Means I won't spend any more money lol.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #10,733 of 20,624
There is a lot of processing in the studio as well. I am not sure there is any more loss in resolution than changing the sound signature with added capacitance of cables or analog circuits. As this is a Utopia thread I would like to say that the manufacturer's cable sounds great but the EQ offered above is a nice upgrade.

The educated audiophile ear has great resolving power and discrimination and can easily detect minute additional time smearing and other colorations due to additional processing in playback, regardless of how much was already used in the recording process. The same principle applies to differences due to system cables, regardless of merely pro-audio quality cables used in the studio (like Mogami Neglex, for instance). To some, this is important. To others, not so much.

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #10,734 of 20,624
I own both and I initially thought I’d sell one of them. But truth be told, they are so different, and both have their merits, that I find it impossible to decide. In short, I do prefer the Utopias but they need a really good DAC and amp and source material to reach their full potential. The Meze is much less detailed but also more chilled in nature, and so easy to drive that you forget about all these expensive days and amps. It sounds right no matter what you drive (or feed) it with. Tough one, but for sound alone with a strong set up, the Utopias rule.

Would these three combos work for Utopia?
CD transport, DAC, tube hp amp.

20190424_172135.jpg

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #10,735 of 20,624
I also own both. Mostly agree with the above, except:

- I wouldn't call Empy 'much less detailed'. Less detailed yes, but not 'much less'. It's a bit deceptive, as Empy highs are somewhat recessed vs Utopia, which give Utopia the sense of significantly more detail. But when I listen for it, the detail is mostly still there from Empy.

- Utopia is 'easy to drive', in fact, I attenuate my source maybe 2-3 dB more on my preamp when listening to Utopia vs level for Empy. (Perhaps you mean that Empy doesn't scale as well as Utopia, so you don't find yourself thinking about that next electronics upgrade to get more out of them?) .

Hi LCMusicLover, may be I chose the wrong words. I agree, it is only a bit “less detailed” .... but the recessed highs are somewhat having this effect on me. Although I love the Empyrean for their smooth sound and especially looks / built quality (they are truly lovely to wear and beautiful), the cut-off highs make me miss sparkle etc, and no, a cable will not fix this :).

However, I still think that the Utopias are gear-picky vs the Empyrean. For example, the Utopia sounds not really that great with a Chord Mojo, still very good but not up their potential. Changing to a Hugo2, I hear a clear difference which makes the Utopia shine, But with the Empyrean, there is hardly any difference between mojo and Hugo2 .... feel free to disagree, but that’s what I found.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #10,736 of 20,624
Would these three combos work for Utopia?
CD transport, DAC, tube hp amp.

Is that your gear? If so, let us know what you think ... :). I certainly cannot comment since I am not familiar with the equipment. But my ifi Pro iCan comes with both solid state and tube circuits, and with this (splendid) gadget I clearly prefer the solid state circuit. But that does not mean that others should not use tube amps, just me experience with the ifi Pro. Cheerio

Jun 14, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #10,737 of 20,624
Just got my Empyreans this week and did some comparisons with my Utopias. VERY different sounding headphones. The Utopia sounds faster with more perceived detail. But after an adjustment period the difference in detail diminishes. I would still say the Utopia is the more detailed, but on less then top end gear the margin shrinks. The greater treble level of the Utopia makes it seem greater in quick side by side comparisons. The Empyrean's soundstage is bigger, and for me more enjoyable. The bass, while not as tight, is much more present. This seems to give more weight to the music. I'm a bass fan so take it for what it's worth. The vocal range of the Empyrean is what I enjoy the most. For me they seem more life-like than the Utopia. Again just preference. The highs are not rolled off, but lower in level compared to the Utopia. I am sensitive to treble so on some track the Utopia was too hot. The Empyrean solved the issue. All of this is of course dependent on taste and genre of music you listen to. I plan to keep both as complimentary headphones.
See signature for audio chain and music preferences.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #10,738 of 20,624
Just got my Empyreans this week and did some comparisons with my Utopias. VERY different sounding headphones. The Utopia sounds faster with more perceived detail. But after an adjustment period the difference in detail diminishes. I would still say the Utopia is the more detailed, but on less then top end gear the margin shrinks. The greater treble level of the Utopia makes it seem greater in quick side by side comparisons. The Empyrean's soundstage is bigger, and for me more enjoyable. The bass, while not as tight, is much more present. This seems to give more weight to the music. I'm a bass fan so take it for what it's worth. The vocal range of the Empyrean is what I enjoy the most. For me they seem more life-like than the Utopia. Again just preference. The highs are not rolled off, but lower in level compared to the Utopia. I am sensitive to treble so on some track the Utopia was too hot. The Empyrean solved the issue. All of this is of course dependent on taste and genre of music you listen to. I plan to keep both as complimentary headphones.

Yes, I also kept both for these reasons also that was so NOT the plan. Would you say that the Abyss is another level in comparison to Utopia and Empyrean, by the way?

Jun 14, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #10,739 of 20,624

Thanks very much for this short and sweet comparison. When I listened at the shop,. I also found the Utopia treble more apparent than the Empyreans. The soundstage in the Meze is definitely wider. Reading your post just made me feel a little bit better; I placed a deposit on the Empyreans yesterday. Unfortunately they will take another month or so before they reach the shop..

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #10,740 of 20,624
I'm going to do comparison between the Abyss and Empyrean tomorrow. But my quick response would be yes, another level. If properly driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back