Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #10,098 of 20,796
After 3 weeks of listening, I found that the utopia is a great headphone, and can see why tyll called it as the world best headphone at that time.
Harshness on the upper mids tamed greatly over time, or probably it's brain burn-in or both of those.
It is still not perfect, as I think it has a bit more harmonic distortion than Ether 2 so that it does not sound as much smooth.
However, its ultimate clarity/transparency with no harshness is quite seductive and enjoyable.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #10,099 of 20,796
I bought ifi Pro iDSD. I expected to be blown away. But my first impression was that the change was incremental from Fiio Q5.
Ifi Pro iDSD has nice features such as solid state/tube+ options and multiple filters, and some combinations indeed makes the Utopia warmer.
After a few days, I still feel like I wouldn't complain much sounds direct from the Q5.
If there is anyone who uses ifi Pro iDSD, I would love to hear any thoughts about them.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #10,101 of 20,796
I bought ifi Pro iDSD and connected. I expected to be blown away. But my first impressions was that the change was incremental from Fiio Q5.
Ifi Pro iDSD has nice features such as solid state/tube+ options and multiple filters, and some combinations indeed makes the Utopia warmer.
After a few days, I still feel like I wouldn't complain much sounds direct from the Q5.
If there is anyone who use ifi Pro iDSD, I would love to hear any thoughts about them.

Hi franz12,
sorry to tell the following:
but I fear that iFi products are sub-optimal for the headphones like the Utopia.
Connecting my Utopia to my iFi iCAN PRO instead of directly to my RME ADI-2 PRO,
even if I give an edge to the iFI by connecting it in XLR balanced mode and connecting the Utopia in balanced mode to the iFI and comparing with the RME only in single ended mode headphone out (instead of balanced headphone out or the RME, with which it sounds even better),
using the iFI with the Utopia results in a clearly audible loss in resolution, background noise floor, dynamics, drum attacks.
I understand iFi products are more geared towards difficult to drive planars or for people wanting many kinds connectors (they have so many) or not caring too much about pushing the most for audio purity.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #10,102 of 20,796
Received my Custom Cans Utopia cable today. Just started listening. My other cables are the stock, Moon Silver Dragon and now the Custom Cans. The finish is top notch. I bought it based on the Ultra Low Capacitance claim and the very reasonable price. ~ $200 CAD.

I will need to let it burn in LOL.

Has any one else used one these? Comments.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #10,103 of 20,796
I bought ifi Pro iDSD and connected. I expected to be blown away. But my first impression was that the change was incremental from Fiio Q5.
If there is anyone who use ifi Pro iDSD, I would love to hear any thoughts about them.

I’ve never liked the amp sections on any of the iFi products, they’ve always struck me as lifeless and without soul.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #10,104 of 20,796
I’ve never liked the amp sections on any of the iFi products, they’ve always struck me as lifeless and without soul.

My impression is that ifi Pro iDSD has very dynamic and good attack, but the Utopia is already very dynamic and in-your-face. Thinking that it is not a good match with the Utopia. As @bidn says, it seems that it goes better with my ethers.

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #10,109 of 20,796
Mine is in production now, and due at the end of March. The DSHA-3F is all SS with the listener's choice of transformer core type. I tend to prefer tubes--somewhere--myself, and hope that Doug offers a tube or tube-hybrid design later on.
Meanwhile, I am making due with the heavily upgraded Bada PH-12 hybrid (3x 6SN7 + Toshiba MOSFETs), the Lehmann Black Cube Linear and the [always pleasantly surprising] Kent M. Fuqua [KMF Audio] amplifier.

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #10,110 of 20,796
My impression is that ifi Pro iDSD has very dynamic and good attack, but the Utopia is already very dynamic and in-your-face. Thinking that it is not a good match with the Utopia. As @bidn says, it seems that it goes better with my ethers.

I do not find the Utopia "in-your-face" at all. In fact its signature, to me, is more resolved, more settled/on-the-ground and certainly more liquid than, say, the Clear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back