Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #10,082 of 20,602
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
I just received the Eddie Current Afioconado courtesy of @cradon (Thank you for being so awesome to deal with!)

I must say the Utopias really opened up. This is my first foray into the tube world and I couldn't have been more pleased. I have a pretty decent 2.0 system with Anthem STR as a preamp with a pair of Parasound JC1s running Salk Sound HT3 Veracity (I have their newest, not yet released SS9.5 coming in a few months). I always thought I was a speakers type of guy as headphones to me were ok. Until I tried the Sony ZR1s and the Utopias. Hence the chase began.

My source for the AF and Utopia is the Yggy A2 (optical connection to Blue sound node 2i) I can say I find myself listening more and more to headphones. Can I get something better than the Utopia? Maybe... Right now though, I'm pretty happy.

For my office, I go back and forth between the Utopia and ZR1 connected to the TA-Z1ES. The sound is different but just as good IMHO. Just depends on my mood I guess.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #10,083 of 20,602
I just received the Eddie Current Afioconado courtesy of @cradon (Thank you for being so awesome to deal with!)

I must say the Utopias really opened up. This is my first foray into the tube world and I couldn't have been more pleased. I have a pretty decent 2.0 system with Anthem STR as a preamp with a pair of Parasound JC1s running Salk Sound HT3 Veracity (I have their newest, not yet released SS9.5 coming in a few months). I always thought I was a speakers type of guy as headphones to me were ok. Until I tried the Sony ZR1s and the Utopias. Hence the chase began.

My source for the AF and Utopia is the Yggy A2 (optical connection to Blue sound node 2i) I can say I find myself listening more and more to headphones. Can I get something better than the Utopia? Maybe... Right now though, I'm pretty happy.

For my office, I go back and forth between the Utopia and ZR1 connected to the TA-Z1ES. The sound is different but just as good IMHO. Just depends on my mood I guess.

I enjoy my small, simple setup, but man am I jealous of this setup.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #10,084 of 20,602

Geez. Now THAT’s a wicked cool setup. My utopias are mad at me now for not giving it the chain it deserves.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #10,085 of 20,602
Focal sent a replacement pair of the Utopia and they sound great right out of the box [R/L SPL now equal--the original pair had an imbalance]. Add the smell of brand new lambskin earpads and I could not be happier with these headphones.
Just ordered the ecp DSHA-3F balanced amplifier for the Utopia, which should be shipping at the end of March, as well as a balanced HeadphoneLounge FBI UP-OCC silver cable.
Meanwhile, the Utopia are breaking in on a heavily upgraded Bada-PH12 hybrid amp [3x 6SN7 (1x Brimar + 2x Sylvania GTA) and Toshiba mosFETs] and sound scrumptious.
Worth every penny. The best dynamic headphones I have ever heard/owned.

A photograph of the ecp DSHA-3F:

DSHA-3F.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #10,087 of 20,602
Today, I plugged the utopia directly into IPad Pro 12.9 (2018). I needed to use the usb-c to the 3.5mm female dongle as the new ipad does not come with a 3.5mm port any longer.
While the ipad did seem to have enough power to drive the utopia, imaging was very 2d.. Disappointed as I almost spent 2k in total on the ipad..

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #10,090 of 20,602
Today, I plugged the utopia directly into IPad Pro 12.9 (2018). I needed to use the usb-c to the 3.5mm female dongle as the new ipad does not come with a 3.5mm port any longer.
While the ipad did seem to have enough power to drive the utopia, imaging was very 2d.. Disappointed as I almost spent 2k in total on the ipad..

2k for an Ipad?

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #10,092 of 20,602
Don't worry - IPads are nice devices for a lot of things. Just not for driving such high end headphones

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #10,094 of 20,602
Roon > iPad > Hugo2 > Utopia

Music + browsing Head-Fi

Doesn’t get any better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back