Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 31, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #9,647 of 20,644
Focal is a terrible company. They are company from the EU, yet they are only focussed on the USA. Somehow Focal is lucky that they are the only headphone makers that can produce Be drivers.

At some point, Focal was only providing headphones to customers from the USA while people in the EU who also pre-ordered the Utopia's had to wait 4+ months. That just shows that Focal only cares about the USA.

I get much better support from high-end sport companies from the USA than from a company that is located in the EU. That is just silly.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #9,648 of 20,644
Focal is a terrible company. They are company from the EU, yet they are only focussed on the USA. Somehow Focal is lucky that they are the only headphone makers that can produce Be drivers.

At some point, Focal was only providing headphones to customers from the USA while people in the EU who also pre-ordered the Utopia's had to wait 4+ months. That just shows that Focal only cares about the USA.

I get much better support from high-end sport companies from the USA than from a company that is located in the EU. That is just silly.

Focal sells $200K+ speakers, I am not surprised they don't bend over backwards for $4K headphone customers. I bet when Grand Utopia customers need support, they get a phone call within 24 hours. Companies like Audeze have A+ support because headphones are their lifeblood, it is much more do or die.

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #9,649 of 20,644
Somehow Focal is lucky that they are the only headphone makers that can produce Be drivers.
ZMF's new Verite driver is Be overlying another material,. Although not fully Be it's touted as having similar speed. Perhaps a little competition will be healthy to improve Focal's customer care....one can hope.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #9,650 of 20,644

i don't think it was just luck "somehow". focal would have invested significant r&d into the use of beryllium for its drivers.
ZMF's new Verite driver is Be overlying another material,. Although not fully Be it's touted as having similar speed. Perhaps a little competition will be healthy to improve Focal's customer care....one can hope.
campfire audio's cascade also utilises a beryllium coated driver. master & dynamic tout the use of a beryllium driver in their mw50+.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #9,651 of 20,644
Focal sells $200K+ speakers, I am not surprised they don't bend over backwards for $4K headphone customers. I bet when Grand Utopia customers need support, they get a phone call within 24 hours. Companies like Audeze have A+ support because headphones are their lifeblood, it is much more do or die.

Which is fine by me. Because my next speaker will be from someone else (which also happens to be better than their $200k speaker).

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #9,653 of 20,644
And...so we have arrived in week 8 since my defective new Utopia was sent back to the dealer...exchange pending. Appreciate that the Focal Community Manager stepped in end of last week to try to push the exchange.....but seriously 0 progress.

So, last Tuesday the distributor informed my dealer that they insist on a repair under warranty and they are waiting for the new drivers. As both the dealer and myself are pushing for an exchange...deadlock. I'm done with this and I'm pushing for a full refund.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #9,654 of 20,644
So, last Tuesday the distributor informed my dealer that they insist on a repair under warranty and they are waiting for the new drivers. As both the dealer and myself are pushing for an exchange...deadlock. I'm done with this and I'm pushing for a full refund.

@FocalOfficial this is extremely disappointing.

Can you explain why Focal is unable to get their dealers and distributors to step up and do the job they're being paid for? I haven't had issues with my pair yet, but if I have to deal with something like this you better believe I'll be requesting and fighting for a refund in full.

This is sad and completely unacceptable from any company, let along a company of this caliber.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #9,655 of 20,644

ZMF has a strong customer service level. GO Zach!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #9,657 of 20,644
@FocalOfficial this is extremely disappointing.

Can you explain why Focal is unable to get their dealers and distributors to step up and do the job they're being paid for? I haven't had issues with my pair yet, but if I have to deal with something like this you better believe I'll be requesting and fighting for a refund in full.

This is sad and completely unacceptable from any company, let along a company of this caliber.

- $4,000 headphones broken less than 50 hours out of the box
- Waiting 8 weeks for a full unit replacement despite dealer pushing for it
- Told to keep waiting for replacement drivers
- All this, after a Focal community manager reached out on PhenixS1970's behalf?

That's wild. I could use a pair of summit-fi headphones with some isolation and was thinking about TSAV's Utopia bundle deal. Nothing on TSAV or Jason, but I wonder if I should give Focal money on a matter of principle.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #9,658 of 20,644
Thank you for the support I'm finding in this community :wink: What really bothers me is that 1) a Focal dealer can make a promise to a customer that a distributor is not willing to respect and 2) Focal does not seem to be bothered with the negative publicity being generated here. Customer satisfaction and retention do not seem to be a priority.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #9,659 of 20,644
Thank you for the support I'm finding in this community :wink: What really bothers me is that 1) a Focal dealer can make a promise to a customer that a distributor is not willing to respect and 2) Focal does not seem to be bothered with the negative publicity being generated here. Customer satisfaction and retention do not seem to be a priority.

You've got a pretty wild story, and I don't envy you at all.

Focal needs to get up off their asses and start taking care of their customers, even if we only spent $4k on our lowly headphones and not $250k on a set of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back