Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 27, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #9,617 of 20,796
I have been a cable skeptic for years until i heard the danacable reference with the Utopia....the soundstage is a bit wider and the Utopias which can be a bit unforgiving are a bit smoother.....at least to these old ears

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #9,619 of 20,796
Hi everyone - this is my first post though I have spent much of past several weeks reading through various forums here - and this thread in particular.

I am a proud owner of Focal Utopia Headphones and generally speaking everything is great. I am not that much knowledgeable about technical side of things, though I did audition several other TOTL headphones before choosing Focals. Anyway, so far so good but this thread and recent posts have made me paranoid enough to check "The Ultimate Headphones Test" :

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I noticed that when I'm doing the "Driver Matching Test", it's all good throughout most of the sweep but it does a little nudge to the left in the last second (so I'm guessing somewhere between 8-10kHz range) - it's not big but it is noticeable. I haven't noticed anything while listening to music then again I wasn't looking for it and the change might not be big enough for me to notice without using "sterile" testing track.

Is this something I should worry about or is this something to be expected as within some kind of standard deviation? Before you ask, yes, I have put them the other way around on my head and the slight turn happened to the right this time, so I'm positive it's not my ears. It's unmistakenly there, the only question is whether it's acceptable for it to be ther (are there even HP that can do a full sweep totally straight?).

I am running them off Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse with a Kimber Axios btw.

Once again hello and thanks for your help in advance :wink:

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #9,620 of 20,796
the reference cable is 1000 dollars and less used....as i said i used to be a big skeptic but no longer...as far as i am concerned since any good cable will run you 300-500 dollars the cost of the danacable can be justified...again just my own experience

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #9,621 of 20,796
the reference cable is 1000 dollars and less used....as i said i used to be a big skeptic but no longer...as far as i am concerned since any good cable will run you 300-500 dollars the cost of the danacable can be justified...again just my own experience

The overall best sounding wire I have used is neotech's 24awg 1% gold - silver hybrid chassis wire which is what I run on my Mysphere 3.2's. That runs you about $8.5 per ft. LEMO's are $50 and the best 4 pin XLR connector (Eidolic's new line) is something like $100-150 but a $30 Furutech is 99% of the way there. A 6ft 8-braid cable needs about $700 in material costs all said and done, and for a 1ft cable material costs can be close to $1,000.

That particular wire is a bit too sparkly for the Utopia's, and I prefer either DHC's large guage litz copper or Forzaaudiowork's copper wire. That cuts costs in about half so you end up with about $50/ft before labor and shipping.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #9,622 of 20,796
The Danacable Lazuli Reference cable takes the performance of the Utopia's up a notch. I was a cable skeptic as well until I heard this pairing.

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #9,624 of 20,796
The overall best sounding wire I have used is neotech's 24awg 1% gold - silver hybrid chassis wire which is what I run on my Mysphere 3.2's. That runs you about $8.5 per ft. LEMO's are $50 and the best 4 pin XLR connector (Eidolic's new line) is something like $100-150 but a $30 Furutech is 99% of the way there. A 6ft 8-braid cable needs about $700 in material costs all said and done, and for a 1ft cable material costs can be close to $1,000.

That particular wire is a bit too sparkly for the Utopia's, and I prefer either DHC's large guage litz copper or Forzaaudiowork's copper wire. That cuts costs in about half so you end up with about $50/ft before labor and shipping.
Those are very very high prices. A cable costs less than 20% (and I take a margin) than the retail price. I have a Forza audio and don't think it is a good deal.

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #9,628 of 20,796
Why buy used when utopia driver cost so much to repair... I absolutely loved Utopia sound, much more than my trusty HD800S. Just hope for some small fixes here and there.
I can't find the right answer as there are many. Some have heard rumors about a new flagship so the sale before the price crash. Now are those rumors reliable or not, I'm not entitled to give this info, and not 100% sure the answer I have is the right one.

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #9,629 of 20,796
I hope they release New Utopia with New Driver design that dont have flaws + Different design headband.
Screenshot_20190128-075430.png

Start saving up, Focal Dystopia incoming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back